oumasaiharas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(before you say anything, i am aware i am typing in lowercase lmao i'm lazy atm)
hi,
i'm in year 11. i'm gonna do 4 a levels(may do one as an AS), but i'm really stuck on which ones i want to do. i've narrowed it down a lot, and what makes it a lot more difficult for me is that i don't know what i wanna study at uni or what i want to do/be when i'm older, (i know that i want to go to uni, just don't know what i want to do). some things i'd maybe like to do when i'm older are bio science, botany maybe, criminology/forensics (i'd never be able to but i can dream i guess lol), computer science.
here are the subjects i'm choosing between:
choice 1: computer science, maths, english lit, biology
> benefits of doing these options are - i really like the english lit spec that the sixth form i'm going to offers. i enjoy computing and biology, and maths is just useful.
> disadvantages of doing these options are - i'm basically closing myself off from any science degree that isn't just biology. what i mean by that is i wouldn't be able to do biosci, microbiology, etc
choice 2: computer science, maths, chemistry, biology
> benefits of doing these options are - opening up my options for when i'm older by quite a lot by adding in chemistry.
> disadvantages of doing these options are - no english lit. english lit is one of my favourite/highest performing subjects historically for me (not recently bc of my poor mental health, but i'm going to ignore that for now)
choice 3: maths, english lit, chemistry, biology
> benefits of doing these options are - doing english lit, which i like, and also chem+biology so it opens up a lot of opportunities. is missing computer science but if i wanted to do a computer science degree at uni, you don't need a computer science a level for it. you only really need maths and preferably some sciences.
> disadvantages of doing these options are - i quite like computer science and i find it interesting. i like computers.

if anyone has any advice please help i am stressed out of my mind.
rocketleaguefan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It sounds like option 3 is the best for you since maths biology chemistry leaves the most doors open in terms of science careers and it sounds like you enjoy english lit more than computer science.
enmc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with the previous reply. It seems to me the best compromise you can make is with option 3 here. It has a good balance of what you enjoy and will open up a lot more doors, which will help you narrow down a degree/career in the future. I think it's most important for you to take English Lit since it's what you enjoy and your best subject, which will result in you getting a good grade at the end of it, since you'll be motivated to do it.
firephoenix
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Same i'm thinking choice 3? a lot of science careers will be available and having English lit will just help show the range you can study
qoefhweofbqoeufb
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would say go for either choice 1 or 3.

In terms of limiting yourself by not doing two sciences - maths is counted as a science subject by most unis so a range of science degrees would still be open to you if you didn't take chemistry. Obviously this would vary depending on the subject in question and taking chemistry makes it more likely to open doors to chemistry related degrees/medicine if this was an interest (though I imagine you would know by now if it was). Many of them just require 2 sciences and its more about the grade achieved than the subject so you would still have a range of doors open to you. I believe computing is also regarded as a science by several unis (again depending on the degree in question) so either way you would be doing 2/3 science subjects.

If you aren't certain about what you want to do I do think it would be best to do an essay based subject as well as the sciences. Clearly you enjoy english lit and you do well at it. It is a very well respected subject and doing it shows that you have a range of skills (mathematical and literacy) - essay writing is invaluable for universities so I think you should definitely carry on with it. If you aren't certain what you want to do then it keeps any essay based and social sciences degrees open as many require an essay based subject.

Really what I would say in terms of choosing between chem computing is make sure you think about what you will enjoy the most and what you will do best in. There's no point taking chemistry over something you would enjoy more and as a result be more motivated to work for and then do better in unless you know you need it. Obviously if you enjoy chemistry and having done research into potential degrees you would need it then do that.
Last edited by qoefhweofbqoeufb; 1 month ago
enbykeb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by oumasaiharas)
(before you say anything, i am aware i am typing in lowercase lmao i'm lazy atm)
hi,
i'm in year 11. i'm gonna do 4 a levels(may do one as an AS), but i'm really stuck on which ones i want to do. i've narrowed it down a lot, and what makes it a lot more difficult for me is that i don't know what i wanna study at uni or what i want to do/be when i'm older, (i know that i want to go to uni, just don't know what i want to do). some things i'd maybe like to do when i'm older are bio science, botany maybe, criminology/forensics (i'd never be able to but i can dream i guess lol), computer science.
> benefits of doing these options are - i really like the english lit spec that the sixth form i'm going to offers. i enjoy computing and biology, and maths is just useful.
> disadvantages of doing these options are - i'm basically closing myself off from any science degree that isn't just biology. what i mean by that is i wouldn't be able to do biosci, microbiology, etc
> benefits of doing these options are - opening up my options for when i'm older by quite a lot by adding in chemistry.
> disadvantages of doing these options are - no english lit. english lit is one of my favourite/highest performing subjects historically for me (not recently bc of my poor mental health, but i'm going to ignore that for now)
> benefits of doing these options are - doing english lit, which i like, and also chem+biology so it opens up a lot of opportunities. is missing computer science but if i wanted to do a computer science degree at uni, you don't need a computer science a level for it. you only really need maths and preferably some sciences.
> disadvantages of doing these options are - i quite like computer science and i find it interesting. i like computers.

imo just study what you enjoy !! most unis are pretty flexible when it comes to requirements. ofc if you know you'll absolutely need sth then you should take it, but don't get bogged down by choosing stuff you think unis will favour over other subjects or you'll end up regretting your courses. choice 3 sounds like a good fit, but you can always switch your courses if you aren't happy with it later on <3
Yewfelle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by oumasaiharas)
hi,

Do what you enjoy! Your health and happiness is what is most important, you don't want to spend 2 years of your life feeling miserable, and you're more likely to do well at subjects you enjoy. Unis aren't really fussed what subjects you take but how well you do at them.
Incede
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This can be simplified to choosing two from Eng lit, Chem, Comp sci.

What you enjoy: Eng lit > Comp sci > Chem
Usefulness for what you want to do later: Chem > Comp sci = Eng lit

You don't need computer science to study a computer science course at university. You can always do some coding in your own time and the computing A-level isn't that great a course anyway.

If you want to keep your options open then take chemistry. You enjoy english lit the most so take that as well. Option 3 seems to suit you best.
oumasaiharas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
thank you everyone for your replies! it's helped to take a bit of weight off of my shoulders. i've got a couple days to make my final decision and i'll update here with what i choose : )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (60)
4.56%
Uncertainty around my education (202)
15.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (145)
11.03%
Lack of purpose or motivation (185)
14.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (59)
4.49%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (74)
5.63%
Loneliness (117)
8.9%
Financial worries (46)
3.5%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (60)
4.56%
Exposure to negative news/social media (62)
4.71%
Lack of real life entertainment (69)
5.25%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (115)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (121)
9.2%

Watched Threads