SPAM30
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
More specifically, is it better for me to have a somewhat irrelevant degree at a world class university or a somewhat relevant degree at a mediocre university abroad? What would employers/big financial firms value more?

For context, I am from the UK and I aspire to one day have a career in finance, hoping to work in many countries around the world before I retire.

I’m currently holding offers to study Natural Sciences/Biochemistry, for 3 years, at globally reputable universities (namely, Oxbridge/Top London Universities) and another offer to study an English-taught International Business Degree at a (comparatively) mediocre university in Japan (about 800-900 in World Ranking at time of writing, if that at all matters)

I’m pretty conflicted between the two choices. As much as I’d love to spend the next 4 years living the dream, learning a new language, studying abroad, I can’t help but feel like I’d be throwing away really good opportunities at target universities here, despite the degrees not directly relating to finance. It also doesn’t help that I’ve seen the statement, ‘degrees from Japanese universities aren’t valued/worthwhile outside of Japan’, circulating the internet a few times (is there any truth in that statement?)

Anyway there’s loads of other pros and cons to this situation but I’d like to know what you guys think I should go for?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What are the provisions for learning Japanese? Would you be fluent when you graduate? How much would the degree in Japan cost?
SPAM30
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
What are the provisions for learning Japanese? Would you be fluent when you graduate? How much would the degree in Japan cost?
We'll be getting some lessons in Japanese culture, but the course itself will be taught in English. However, I would be staying in Japan for at least 4 years, so I'd expect to be at some degree of fluency by the time I graduate.
As for costs, it'd be comparable (if not much cheaper) than studying at a standard UK university.
Buttmuffin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SPAM30)
More specifically, is it better for me to have a somewhat irrelevant degree at a world class university or a somewhat relevant degree at a mediocre university abroad? What would employers/big financial firms value more?

For context, I am from the UK and I aspire to one day have a career in finance, hoping to work in many countries around the world before I retire.

I’m currently holding offers to study Natural Sciences/Biochemistry, for 3 years, at globally reputable universities (namely, Oxbridge/Top London Universities) and another offer to study an English-taught International Business Degree at a (comparatively) mediocre university in Japan (about 800-900 in World Ranking at time of writing, if that at all matters)

I’m pretty conflicted between the two choices. As much as I’d love to spend the next 4 years living the dream, learning a new language, studying abroad, I can’t help but feel like I’d be throwing away really good opportunities at target universities here, despite the degrees not directly relating to finance. It also doesn’t help that I’ve seen the statement, ‘degrees from Japanese universities aren’t valued/worthwhile outside of Japan’, circulating the internet a few times (is there any truth in that statement?)

Anyway there’s loads of other pros and cons to this situation but I’d like to know what you guys think I should go for?
short answer: if you care about your future career & life more than 4 years of fun, go to the UK uni

live out your dream of travelling the world when you work at global finance firm & holiday anywhere you want
Last edited by Buttmuffin; 1 month ago
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We'll be getting some lessons in Japanese culture, but the course itself will be taught in English. However, I would be staying in Japan for at least 4 years, so I'd expect to be at some degree of fluency by the time I graduate.
As for costs, it'd be comparable (if not much cheaper) than studying at a standard UK university.
I'd be very tempted to go for Japan! For finance jobs in particular there may be a big benefit in going to a 'name' uk university. I doubt the course matters hugely. If you came back pretty fluent in Japanese that would be a big plus - however my guess is that the majority of people who move to Japan don't get much fluency without a driving urge to learn an immerse themselves. No joint honours courses with a year in Japan that might appeal?
K1NE
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Honestly speaking with the type of career it sounds like you want, roles management consultancy or maybe working in the sales team in investment banking come to mind. This also depends on the type of clients you work on etc...

If you have an offer from Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial (would say LSE but looks like you're doing science subjects), then I would say you're better off going for them. If you can get a 2.1 from Oxford/Cambridge (1st is even better) or get like a 1st from a top London university then your chances of getting onto a highly competitive finance/consulting/business trainee scheme is pretty good i.e I mean looking at front office investment banking roles or working for management consulting firms like Mckinsey/BCG/Bain.

One thing about working abroad in these different countries is that, it sounds amazing but isn't all it is made out to be at times. Companies are paying for you to be there so you'll be expected to be working hard.

I think going to a Japanese university, won't open the same opportunities .
Last edited by K1NE; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (166)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (498)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (379)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (473)
13.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (164)
4.83%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (208)
6.13%
Loneliness (288)
8.49%
Financial worries (122)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (137)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (155)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (186)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (302)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.28%

Watched Threads