The Student Room Group

Gf didn't like my gift what to do?

Yesterday was my girlfriend's birthday so a lot of gifts came in the post a few days prior. She likes art so I thought getting a sketchbook would be fine.

When she opened her gift she smiled then her smile faltered a bit before she said 'Aww babe this is sweet, I'll add it to my sketchbook collection.' She put it aside without even looking at it, then when she opened her next present she got really excited and even called her friend.

I felt embarrassed and kinda dejected. She took her gifts to her room and forgot my gift on the coach until I brought it to her. Any advice? I want to get her a different present this time, I feel kind of resentful.
All you can really do is talk about it if you feel the need. In this case it might be helpful to phrase it in terms of wanting to get her something she'll like better next year, rather than complaining that she didn't like it!

If you can, though, I think it's worth trying to let this one go - you tried, she probably just has a lot of sketchbooks, and she was perfectly nice about it. You can't get awesome presents all the time and the best thing to do is always ask. She doesn't have to like it and what matters is how you go forwards and deal with it next time :smile:

If you feel like it spoilt the special day, why not ask her on a date when things open up or cook her a meal, so you have a nice memory to replace it with and spend some time together?
That’s a bit arsey of her ngl you should do the same when it’s your birthday loool
Original post by mason.taylor.16
That’s a bit arsey of her ngl you should do the same when it’s your birthday loool

jesus no...that's not gonna get you anywhere but into a circle of never ending hated gifts

Just speak to her, she may've had 1000 sketchbooks and would've preferred something personal
Forget about it and move on.

Her love for you is not and never will be defined by the presents you give her.

Just carry on going on great adventures with her. And avoid being too much of a jerk too often and she will stay in love with you.
Reply 5
Original post by becausethenight
All you can really do is talk about it if you feel the need. In this case it might be helpful to phrase it in terms of wanting to get her something she'll like better next year, rather than complaining that she didn't like it!

If you can, though, I think it's worth trying to let this one go - you tried, she probably just has a lot of sketchbooks, and she was perfectly nice about it. You can't get awesome presents all the time and the best thing to do is always ask. She doesn't have to like it and what matters is how you go forwards and deal with it next time :smile:

If you feel like it spoilt the special day, why not ask her on a date when things open up or cook her a meal, so you have a nice memory to replace it with and spend some time together?

Thanks for the advice, although I feel a bit dejected I'm in the process of cooking her a special dinner that hopefully we can enjoy together.
Reply 6
Original post by mason.taylor.16

Although her actions did show she wasn't happy with my gift, and I was momentarily feeling resentful, I plan to make it up to her with a nice dinner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending