Can I go to the doctor over oily skin?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I suffer with extremely oily skin to the point where it affects my self confidence because I permanently look like a greaseball. I'm not sure if it's something I can go to the doctors about or if I'm wasting their time. I've tried everything I can think of but can't seem to get any control over my skin which is why I'm considering contacting them.

A bit of background- I've struggled with acne for the last 12 years (since I was about 12) and have been on several rounds of antibiotics. I don't have really bad acne anymore (am still breakout prone but could hide it with makeup and most of what looks bad is actually pigmentation left from when I had a lot of spots). I use the CeraVe salicyic acid cleanser, wash my face twice a day (no more or less because I don't want to overstimulate oil), a clay mask a couple of times a week and moisturiser at night but not during the day because it looks horrific (honestly it doesn't matter what formulation I use, it looks dreadful). When I wash my face in the morning, it takes about an hour until you can actually see my pores filled with oil, it's horrible both in how it looks and feels and I don't actually know anyone who gets this oily. It makes me feel dirty and gross. I use blotting paper to remove excess oil but it makes me really self concious to actually go anywhere ( I mean right now I can't due to lockdown but when I CAN) because I'm constantly nipping to the loos to sort my face out

Is there anything a doctor can do? I know teenagers suffer with oily skin but I'm nearly 24 and it's still really really bad. Obviously there's acne medication but is there anything for oily skin?
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Might be worth asking to see if you can be referred to a dermatologist.
nikkiblonsky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I suffer with extremely oily skin to the point where it affects my self confidence because I permanently look like a greaseball. I'm not sure if it's something I can go to the doctors about or if I'm wasting their time. I've tried everything I can think of but can't seem to get any control over my skin which is why I'm considering contacting them.

A bit of background- I've struggled with acne for the last 12 years (since I was about 12) and have been on several rounds of antibiotics. I don't have really bad acne anymore (am still breakout prone but could hide it with makeup and most of what looks bad is actually pigmentation left from when I had a lot of spots). I use the CeraVe salicyic acid cleanser, wash my face twice a day (no more or less because I don't want to overstimulate oil), a clay mask a couple of times a week and moisturiser at night but not during the day because it looks horrific (honestly it doesn't matter what formulation I use, it looks dreadful). When I wash my face in the morning, it takes about an hour until you can actually see my pores filled with oil, it's horrible both in how it looks and feels and I don't actually know anyone who gets this oily. It makes me feel dirty and gross. I use blotting paper to remove excess oil but it makes me really self concious to actually go anywhere ( I mean right now I can't due to lockdown but when I CAN) because I'm constantly nipping to the loos to sort my face out

Is there anything a doctor can do? I know teenagers suffer with oily skin but I'm nearly 24 and it's still really really bad. Obviously there's acne medication but is there anything for oily skin?
yh I'd consider talking to a doctor about your problem, hope it gets better for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (378)
14.77%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (360)
14.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.52%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.42%

Watched Threads