Meal plan at University of Birmingham?

Watch
MattyM7373
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I have an offer to study at Birmingham and am likely to firm it as I love the look of the course and campus, I'm looking at applying for accommodation, and am struggling to decide whether meal plan is the way forwards or not. I strongly would like my own bathroom so this limits it down to just Shackleton, (£200 p/w), would anyone with experience say this is worth it? I'd also like to be on the Vale so how is shackleton compared to the other halls like elgar court or mason which would be by 2nd and 3rd choice?
Also can anyone give an idea as to how much a main meal from a uni outlet like infusion would be?
Finally is accommodation allocated completely randomly or is it first come first served, and can I apply to accom before firming my offer?
An answer to any of these questions would be hugely appreciated
UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MattyM7373)
Hi, I have an offer to study at Birmingham and am likely to firm it as I love the look of the course and campus, I'm looking at applying for accommodation, and am struggling to decide whether meal plan is the way forwards or not. I strongly would like my own bathroom so this limits it down to just Shackleton, (£200 p/w), would anyone with experience say this is worth it? I'd also like to be on the Vale so how is shackleton compared to the other halls like elgar court or mason which would be by 2nd and 3rd choice?
Also can anyone give an idea as to how much a main meal from a uni outlet like infusion would be?
Finally is accommodation allocated completely randomly or is it first come first served, and can I apply to accom before firming my offer?
An answer to any of these questions would be hugely appreciated
Hi MattyM7373,

I'm a third year student at UoB so I can help a bit. I think meal plan is worth it if you don't think you will have time to cook much or you'd rather not cook as it is much easier to just pick up some food from one of the catering outlets. Your money from each week rolls over too so it means that if you don't spend it, then you still have that money available to you to spend later on. I believe that a main meal from somewhere like infusion is around £7 but I could be wrong on this. However, all meal plan users get a 10% discount at meal plan catering outlets.

If you're really set on having an en-suite then all of your options seem good. I wouldn't get too bogged down with 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices as the accommodation is randomly allocated but the accommodation services try to give you one of your options from your top 6. Anyone with an offer can apply for accommodation, but you're only guaranteed a bed in uni accommodation if you firm them.

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions.

~Caitlin~
MattyM7373
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences)
Hi MattyM7373,

I'm a third year student at UoB so I can help a bit. I think meal plan is worth it if you don't think you will have time to cook much or you'd rather not cook as it is much easier to just pick up some food from one of the catering outlets. Your money from each week rolls over too so it means that if you don't spend it, then you still have that money available to you to spend later on. I believe that a main meal from somewhere like infusion is around £7 but I could be wrong on this. However, all meal plan users get a 10% discount at meal plan catering outlets.

If you're really set on having an en-suite then all of your options seem good. I wouldn't get too bogged down with 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices as the accommodation is randomly allocated but the accommodation services try to give you one of your options from your top 6. Anyone with an offer can apply for accommodation, but you're only guaranteed a bed in uni accommodation if you firm them.

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions.

~Caitlin~
Thanks so much for the reply it's very useful, will I still be guaranteed a room if i apply for accommodation now and then firm uob at a later date once ive had chance to visit?
Jns 90
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,
I think the date you have to firm your choice by is before the date you have to make your accommodation choices so as long as you firm by the date given you should be included in the guarantee scheme. The choices are a bit hit and miss. My daughter got first choice (Mason) but lots of others didn’t get first choice and some not one included in the 6 they chose.

Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (545)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (417)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (513)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (184)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.42%

Watched Threads