Struggling with procrastination/time management? Here's a tip.

Watch
Ahus23
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey everyone! I graduated a couple of years ago, but during my studies, I struggled with procrastination and managing my time across my various subjects/modules.

So, I developed a stopwatch technique, which worked miraculously for me. I bought a stopwatch off Amazon (wanted it to be a physical device, and not on my computer/phone to avoid distractions). It was very simple:

1. When I am studying, I would turn on my physical stopwatch. If I go on a break or I am distracted, I would pause the stopwatch.
  2. At the end of the day, I would log how many hours I focus-studied in an excel spreadsheet, and overtime, I became addicted to trying to beat my score (without cheating).

I think this worked well for me due to two reasons:

1. The stopwatch acted like a mental cue – when the timer was running, I better have been studying!
  2. I was able to work out how many hours I was wasting in the day and how long I was spending on my breaks.
  3. I procrastinate, yes, but I am inherently very competitive trying to beat my own score

If you are facing the same issues I faced, then definitely give this technique a go. I’m confident you’ll find positive results 😊

sumayaaa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
this was posted at the right time, im gonna hopefully try this out. thank youuu!
Ahus23
Rep:
?
(Original post by sumayaaa)
this was posted at the right time, im gonna hopefully try this out. thank youuu!
No worries at all. Let me know how you get on!
CoochieMan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's so useful thank you so much for posting this! Appreciate it
PeriATP
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I love this! It seems so much more useful and motivating to focus on what you have achieved rather than what you haven't
Ahus23
Rep:
?
Would love to hear from everyone how you have found it. I'm actually working on a product to take this to the next level because I believe in it so much, so thoughts would be very much appreciated.
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ll try this tomorrow, thanks!
Ahus23
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
Awesome! Let me know how it goes.
inquisiterFAQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ahus23)
Would love to hear from everyone how you have found it. I'm actually working on a product to take this to the next level because I believe in it so much, so thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Only thing I can think of is an app but something like that already exists.
It is called Hold and basically you get points for not being on your phone which can be traded for rewards (since covid the rewards are **** but the concept was there and you could see you friends scores and if you were at uni you can join your uni list. check it out on the app and play store
Ahus23
Rep:
?
(Original post by inquisiterFAQ)
Only thing I can think of is an app but something like that already exists.
It is called Hold and basically you get points for not being on your phone which can be traded for rewards (since covid the rewards are **** but the concept was there and you could see you friends scores and if you were at uni you can join your uni list. check it out on the app and play store
Like the idea! I was thinking more on the lines of creating a physical product, away from your phone completely (because we know how quickly it can turn into a distraction...). If you're curious, feel free to visit timetrace .io.
tellbell
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I needed this myself tbf! incase you didn't know you can get Amazon student prime for just £3.99 and a 6-month trial where you pay nothing. You can even convert your parents regular prime to a Student Prime as long as you're a student. You get all the rewards and much more including
- fast delivery (OBVIOUSLY)

-6-month trial (cancel anytime)
-10% OFF TEXTBOOKS AND FASHION !!! (LIFESAVER)
- Prime Video
- Amazon music prime (over 70 mil songs)
- Prime reading
- Prime gaming

All you have to do is click this link: http://amazon.co.uk/manchestermetexec1 (or copy it to google) fill out the steps so either create an account or if you have a regular account fill in your details and follow-through.

enjoy saving x
PrinceIII
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks very much for posting this.
Ahus23
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
How did you find it!? (If you did end up trying)

Curious to know from others as well!
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
im not gonna lie, i havent tried it out yet as i havent done any revision yet woops. I've just been trying to catch up with work all this time BUT when i do revise (someday i really hope lol), i shall update you all.
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ahus23)
How did you find it!? (If you did end up trying)

Curious to know from others as well!
Same as the above comment I have two big pieces of work due on Thursday so I'll try it over the weekend and update you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads