joyboy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I want to do medicine at university and don't Im going to go to sixth form next year. I havnt decided what subjcts yet as I'm conflicted between whether I go the easy route or the hard route, and if the hard routs is worth it.

My 2 choices are :
A levels: Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths
AS Level: Medical science

or

A levels: Biology Chemistry and Psychology
AS Level: Medical science
Last edited by joyboy; 1 month ago
enmc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
honestly depends on how open you are to taking on a heavy workload. the first choice will keep all degrees open to you, purely because it covers everything. the second option will keep the vast majority of unis open to you. so it depends how high you're aiming (oxbridge? or just the rest of russel group?) and how easily you can stay on top of work and manage stress. are you passionate enough about all three sciences and maths to take them all for a level? many people can go into medicine with the second choice, so up to you. just know that your first choice will be challenging and full on.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've never heard of AS medical science. Interesting.

I don't see why those would be your only choices. What would be wrong with Bio chem maths?

You need two sciences, one of which should probably be chem. Bio chem and one more will give you the option of any med school. A third science would improve your chances at Oxbridge specifically.

There are some data here from the UCAS offer rate calculator and here about performance in UCAT/BMAT.

Ultimately, you need to be able to get at least AAA, alongside your extensive applications research, admissions test prep, work experience, voluntary work, and interview prep.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is a large section of TSR all about Applying for Medicine - read it all : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine

PS. There is no AS Level called 'Medical Science'. I think you mean a Level 3 Applied Diploma, and if you are doing science A levels its pretty much a waste of time. Do an AS in Maths, Psychology or Sociology instead, that will actually be useful and will support your A levels,
joyboy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I've never heard of AS medical science. Interesting.

I don't see why those would be your only choices. What would be wrong with Bio chem maths?

You need two sciences, one of which should probably be chem. Bio chem and one more will give you the option of any med school. A third science would improve your chances at Oxbridge specifically.

There are some data here from the UCAS offer rate calculator and here about performance in UCAT/BMAT.

Ultimately, you need to be able to get at least AAA, alongside your extensive applications research, admissions test prep, work experience, voluntary work, and interview prep.
The thing is im not very confident with maths and thats why I chose psychology. (Im targeted a 7 in maths). I understand your point completely tho. What if i did maths as level instead of medical science? Would that help with my application
thalia179
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I take biology, chemistry and psychology and have applied to medicine!! It is a really great combination as there is loads of overlap!!

Also, don't think psychology is easy either because even though the concepts are easy to get your head around, there is SO much content! so a very good memory is required. Lots of names, dates, studies, as well as some complex biology.
Last edited by thalia179; 1 month ago
Paul Cheenis
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
PLEASE ONLY DO 3 A LEVELS. doing 4 is such a pain and i seriously regret it now. save yourself the stress, god bless.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by joyboy)
The thing is im not very confident with maths and thats why I chose psychology. (Im targeted a 7 in maths). I understand your point completely tho. What if i did maths as level instead of medical science? Would that help with my application
If you're not good at maths physics would be a struggle too.

You only need bio chem and one other. If that's what it would take to get AAA (or higher) that's what I'd do. An extra AS level forms part of no entry requirements that I know of (though the people in the medicine forum know a lot more about that than me).

Psychology is reasonable, though is a bit of an outlier in the source I listed in terms of very low success rate in getting offers. You will need to draw your own conclusions there though.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by joyboy)
Psych at top Unis usually requires a high GCSE Maths grade (statistics) - check the entry requirements for a range of Unis. If grade 7 isnt high enough, then Core Maths would make up for that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.57%
Uncertainty around my education (200)
15.49%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (143)
11.08%
Lack of purpose or motivation (183)
14.18%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (58)
4.49%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (72)
5.58%
Loneliness (114)
8.83%
Financial worries (45)
3.49%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (59)
4.57%
Exposure to negative news/social media (59)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (68)
5.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (113)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (118)
9.14%

Watched Threads