The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Is the University of Leeds a top-tier uni?

Is the University of Leeds a top-tier university? I've seen contradicting opinions on this university so your thoughts would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it’s got a pretty good reputation but i wouldn’t describe it as “top tier”
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by sy!¡
it’s got a pretty good reputation but i wouldn’t describe it as “top tier”

Thank you for your response :smile:

Would you consider it in the same category as Warwick, Bristol and Exeter?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

personally i wouldn’t :smile:
I mean Leeds is usually ranked between 10-20 on the university rankings. Whilst I’d say it’s not TOP tier, it’s still a very good and highly regarded university
The only academic research (as far as I know) into this area ranks UK universities in 4 tiers.

1/ Oxbridge.
2/ London, Durham, Red-bricks, Scottish Ancients and some 1960s institutions.
3/ The rest of the 1960s plus some post-92s.
4/ The rest of the post-92s.

By this metric, Leeds, being a red-brick, is a tier 2 university.
Depends on what you mean by tiers.

If you comparing it with all other institutions, each tier has dozens of universities, then Leeds is a top tier. But if each of your tier only contain two or three universities, then Leeds is not. You don't normally see it as a top 10.

Leeds is one of the better red bricks, but it's not the best of them (which, for me, goes to Bristol). It is also not as competitive as some later universities, such as Warwick. I consider it similar to Birmingham, Nottingham, Bath and so on. I see you mentioned Exeter. Exeter is pretty hard to classify. It is one of the poshest universities so it's naturally good for prospects, but I'm not sure where to put it for those who are not from a posh family.
its an amazing uni, but id say second or even third tier in the uk

i think it goes like this:

oxbridge, imperial, lse
warwick, durham, ucl, etc.
red brick unis like leeds
Reply 8
Original post by cchloepx
I mean Leeds is usually ranked between 10-20 on the university rankings. Whilst I’d say it’s not TOP tier, it’s still a very good and highly regarded university

Original post by chaotic1328
The only academic research (as far as I know) into this area ranks UK universities in 4 tiers.

1/ Oxbridge.
2/ London, Durham, Red-bricks, Scottish Ancients and some 1960s institutions.
3/ The rest of the 1960s plus some post-92s.
4/ The rest of the post-92s.

By this metric, Leeds, being a red-brick, is a tier 2 university.

Original post by VigoWilliam
Depends on what you mean by tiers.

If you comparing it with all other institutions, each tier has dozens of universities, then Leeds is a top tier. But if each of your tier only contain two or three universities, then Leeds is not. You don't normally see it as a top 10.

Leeds is one of the better red bricks, but it's not the best of them (which, for me, goes to Bristol). It is also not as competitive as some later universities, such as Warwick. I consider it similar to Birmingham, Nottingham, Bath and so on. I see you mentioned Exeter. Exeter is pretty hard to classify. It is one of the poshest universities so it's naturally good for prospects, but I'm not sure where to put it for those who are not from a posh family.

its an amazing uni, but id say second or even third tier in the uk

i think it goes like this:

oxbridge, imperial, lse
warwick, durham, ucl, etc.
red brick unis like leeds

Thanks everyone! This was very helpful. I'm an international student and was confused by the contrasting reviews I previously read online :smile:

Yes it is a top UK uni

And you shouldn’t care about the student rooms opinion of things

I would put Leeds in the C-tier here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6788950#post92246812
Thanks everyone! This was very helpful. I'm an international student and was confused by the contrasting reviews I previously read online :smile:

what are you studying? I heard Leeds is very good for medicine

Hi! Looked at your tier table and I’ve got a question. Would you say that it’s better to look at overall Uni league tables or subject rankings? From an employee point of view. Because I was thinking of studying business at Leeds, it is ranked 13th for Business management and 5th for marketing, whereas Nottingham is ranked 38th and KCL 30th? I was also thinking of Bristol but haven’r heard much about its management school and there are good opinions about Leeds’ one (triple accreditation, dean’s excellence etc) So I’m torn
Hi! Looked at your tier table and I’ve got a question. Would you say that it’s better to look at overall Uni league tables or subject rankings? From an employee point of view. Because I was thinking of studying business at Leeds, it is ranked 13th for Business management and 5th for marketing, whereas Nottingham is ranked 38th and KCL 30th? I was also thinking of Bristol but haven’r heard much about its management school and there are good opinions about Leeds’ one (triple accreditation, dean’s excellence etc) So I’m torn

Subject rankings over overall.

What I would say is definitely trust league tables over the opinion of RoyalBeams from the Student Room

I’m sure @Mikos will agree with me on this
Reply 14
Original post by daveymcloughlin
Subject rankings over overall.

What I would say is definitely trust league tables over the opinion of RoyalBeams from the Student Room

I’m sure @Mikos will agree with me on this

I don’t agree with RoyalBeams’ tier list. However, I also think league tables are a crock of shite. Do you, as (I am assuming) a future Leeds student, really think that the likes of Solent rank above Leeds?
Original post by Mikos
I don’t agree with RoyalBeams’ tier list. However, I also think league tables are a crock of shite. Do you, as (I am assuming) a future Leeds student, really think that the likes of Solent rank above Leeds?

Where the **** even is Solent lmao
Original post by Mikos

Why don’t you drop a tier list if you’re such an expert
Reply 17
Where the **** even is Solent lmao

Precisely my point. If league tables were correct then why would it rank a university like Solent above Leeds?

As I said on another thread, you can’t really rank universities that stringently because a lot of the time it is down to the needs of the individual (which, because of how generalised they are, league tables fail to do)
Reply 18

I'm pretty sure Mikos actually does this as their job, they are an accredited advisor to student polling boards.

There are also the equivalent of meta-data analysis on the discrepancies on League tables:
https://web.archive.org/web/20151217144035/http://datanotpropaganda.net/
http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/comment/story/0,,2053187,00.html

But please, don't let me stop you going off.
Reply 19
Original post by Ray3RE
I'm pretty sure Mikos actually does this as their job, they are an accredited advisor to student polling boards.

There are also the equivalent of meta-data analysis on the discrepancies on League tables:
https://web.archive.org/web/20151217144035/http://datanotpropaganda.net/
http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/comment/story/0,,2053187,00.html

But please, don't let me stop you going off.

Plzzzz he’s going to take you seriously 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Quick Reply

Latest