Is the University of Leeds a top-tier uni?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Is the University of Leeds a top-tier university? I've seen contradicting opinions on this university so your thoughts would be appreciated.
sy!¡
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
it’s got a pretty good reputation but i wouldn’t describe it as “top tier”
Anonymous #1
(Original post by sy!¡)
it’s got a pretty good reputation but i wouldn’t describe it as “top tier”
Thank you for your response

Would you consider it in the same category as Warwick, Bristol and Exeter?
sy!¡
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

personally i wouldn’t
cchloepx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I mean Leeds is usually ranked between 10-20 on the university rankings. Whilst I’d say it’s not TOP tier, it’s still a very good and highly regarded university
chaotic1328
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The only academic research (as far as I know) into this area ranks UK universities in 4 tiers.

1/ Oxbridge.
2/ London, Durham, Red-bricks, Scottish Ancients and some 1960s institutions.
3/ The rest of the 1960s plus some post-92s.
4/ The rest of the post-92s.

By this metric, Leeds, being a red-brick, is a tier 2 university.
VigoWilliam
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Depends on what you mean by tiers.

If you comparing it with all other institutions, each tier has dozens of universities, then Leeds is a top tier. But if each of your tier only contain two or three universities, then Leeds is not. You don't normally see it as a top 10.

Leeds is one of the better red bricks, but it's not the best of them (which, for me, goes to Bristol). It is also not as competitive as some later universities, such as Warwick. I consider it similar to Birmingham, Nottingham, Bath and so on. I see you mentioned Exeter. Exeter is pretty hard to classify. It is one of the poshest universities so it's naturally good for prospects, but I'm not sure where to put it for those who are not from a posh family.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
its an amazing uni, but id say second or even third tier in the uk

i think it goes like this:

oxbridge, imperial, lse
warwick, durham, ucl, etc.
red brick unis like leeds
Anonymous #1
(Original post by cchloepx)
I mean Leeds is usually ranked between 10-20 on the university rankings. Whilst I’d say it’s not TOP tier, it’s still a very good and highly regarded university
(Original post by chaotic1328)
The only academic research (as far as I know) into this area ranks UK universities in 4 tiers.

1/ Oxbridge.
2/ London, Durham, Red-bricks, Scottish Ancients and some 1960s institutions.
3/ The rest of the 1960s plus some post-92s.
4/ The rest of the post-92s.

By this metric, Leeds, being a red-brick, is a tier 2 university.
(Original post by VigoWilliam)
Depends on what you mean by tiers.

If you comparing it with all other institutions, each tier has dozens of universities, then Leeds is a top tier. But if each of your tier only contain two or three universities, then Leeds is not. You don't normally see it as a top 10.

Leeds is one of the better red bricks, but it's not the best of them (which, for me, goes to Bristol). It is also not as competitive as some later universities, such as Warwick. I consider it similar to Birmingham, Nottingham, Bath and so on. I see you mentioned Exeter. Exeter is pretty hard to classify. It is one of the poshest universities so it's naturally good for prospects, but I'm not sure where to put it for those who are not from a posh family.
its an amazing uni, but id say second or even third tier in the uk

i think it goes like this:

oxbridge, imperial, lse
warwick, durham, ucl, etc.
red brick unis like leeds
Thanks everyone! This was very helpful. I'm an international student and was confused by the contrasting reviews I previously read online
daveymcloughlin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

Yes it is a top UK uni

And you shouldn’t care about the student rooms opinion of things
RoyalBeams
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

I would put Leeds in the C-tier here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0#post92246812
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago
Thanks everyone! This was very helpful. I'm an international student and was confused by the contrasting reviews I previously read online
what are you studying? I heard Leeds is very good for medicine
Anonymous #4
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by RoyalBeams)
I would put Leeds in the C-tier here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0#post92246812
Hi! Looked at your tier table and I’ve got a question. Would you say that it’s better to look at overall Uni league tables or subject rankings? From an employee point of view. Because I was thinking of studying business at Leeds, it is ranked 13th for Business management and 5th for marketing, whereas Nottingham is ranked 38th and KCL 30th? I was also thinking of Bristol but haven’r heard much about its management school and there are good opinions about Leeds’ one (triple accreditation, dean’s excellence etc) So I’m torn
daveymcloughlin
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi! Looked at your tier table and I’ve got a question. Would you say that it’s better to look at overall Uni league tables or subject rankings? From an employee point of view. Because I was thinking of studying business at Leeds, it is ranked 13th for Business management and 5th for marketing, whereas Nottingham is ranked 38th and KCL 30th? I was also thinking of Bristol but haven’r heard much about its management school and there are good opinions about Leeds’ one (triple accreditation, dean’s excellence etc) So I’m torn
Subject rankings over overall.

What I would say is definitely trust league tables over the opinion of RoyalBeams from the Student Room

I’m sure Mikos will agree with me on this
Mikos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by daveymcloughlin)
Subject rankings over overall.

What I would say is definitely trust league tables over the opinion of RoyalBeams from the Student Room

I’m sure Mikos will agree with me on this
I don’t agree with RoyalBeams’ tier list. However, I also think league tables are a crock of shite. Do you, as (I am assuming) a future Leeds student, really think that the likes of Solent rank above Leeds?
daveymcloughlin
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Mikos)
I don’t agree with RoyalBeams’ tier list. However, I also think league tables are a crock of shite. Do you, as (I am assuming) a future Leeds student, really think that the likes of Solent rank above Leeds?
Where the **** even is Solent lmao
daveymcloughlin
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Mikos)
Why don’t you drop a tier list if you’re such an expert
Mikos
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Where the **** even is Solent lmao
Precisely my point. If league tables were correct then why would it rank a university like Solent above Leeds?

As I said on another thread, you can’t really rank universities that stringently because a lot of the time it is down to the needs of the individual (which, because of how generalised they are, league tables fail to do)
Ray3RE
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm pretty sure Mikos actually does this as their job, they are an accredited advisor to student polling boards.

There are also the equivalent of meta-data analysis on the discrepancies on League tables:
https://web.archive.org/web/20151217...ropaganda.net/
http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...053187,00.html

But please, don't let me stop you going off.
Mikos
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Ray3RE)
I'm pretty sure Mikos actually does this as their job, they are an accredited advisor to student polling boards.

There are also the equivalent of meta-data analysis on the discrepancies on League tables:
https://web.archive.org/web/20151217...ropaganda.net/
http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...053187,00.html

But please, don't let me stop you going off.
Plzzzz he’s going to take you seriously 🤣🤣🤣🤣
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads