Cant think of points for an essay about the ozone layer!!!

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Need urgent help with this
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
What's the essay question?
Anonymous #1
Discuss the arguments for and against the following statement; “the problem with the hole in the Ozone layer is solved.”

On the verge of tears!
Anonymous #1
bump
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Discuss the arguments for and against the following statement; “the problem with the hole in the Ozone layer is solved.”

On the verge of tears!
If it was me I think the points I'd make would be something along the lines of:
A general statement discussing what the ozone layer is, what it's for etc. Maybe mention what the 'problem' is; i.e. free radicals from chemicals such as CFCs react with the ozone layer to break it down back to oxygen and oxygen radicals (O3 ---> O2 and O). The oxygen radicals can then react with more ozone making more radicals so its a positive feedback effect.
Then for the discussion/evaluation bit points such as:
-There has been a global effort to reduce ozone-depleting emissions (look into the Montreal Protocol) so there are fewer chances of it becoming damaged.
-Counterpoint to above: Protocols often are not legally binding and countries have to voluntarily enter into them and they are more of a guideline so it only takes a few countries not sticking to it for those protocols for the ozone layer to be continually damaged.
-Individual countries making high levels of emissions are not closed systems so what one country does to damage the ozone layer will have an effect on different locations. E.g. there's an ozone hole in Antarctica but there are very few people living there so that must mean the damage was caused by other countries.
-There is evidence to suggest that the problem is by no means fixed; the 2020 Antarctica ozone hole was larger than average for the last decade. I think this link will help you: https://public.wmo.int/en/media/news...large-and-deep

I think it would be a good idea to think of some more points for the argument to create a balanced discussion.
I hope this helps you! I know how awful geography essays can be lol. Best of luck
Anonymous #1
If it was me I think the points I'd make would be something along the lines of:
A general statement discussing what the ozone layer is, what it's for etc. Maybe mention what the 'problem' is; i.e. free radicals from chemicals such as CFCs react with the ozone layer to break it down back to oxygen and oxygen radicals (O3 ---> O2 and O). The oxygen radicals can then react with more ozone making more radicals so its a positive feedback effect.
Then for the discussion/evaluation bit points such as:
-There has been a global effort to reduce ozone-depleting emissions (look into the Montreal Protocol) so there are fewer chances of it becoming damaged.
-Counterpoint to above: Protocols often are not legally binding and countries have to voluntarily enter into them and they are more of a guideline so it only takes a few countries not sticking to it for those protocols for the ozone layer to be continually damaged.
-Individual countries making high levels of emissions are not closed systems so what one country does to damage the ozone layer will have an effect on different locations. E.g. there's an ozone hole in Antarctica but there are very few people living there so that must mean the damage was caused by other countries.
-There is evidence to suggest that the problem is by no means fixed; the 2020 Antarctica ozone hole was larger than average for the last decade. I think this link will help you: https://public.wmo.int/en/media/news...large-and-deep

I think it would be a good idea to think of some more points for the argument to create a balanced discussion.
I hope this helps you! I know how awful geography essays can be lol. Best of luck
Ahhhh thank you so much!! You're amazing
Anonymous #1
Thank you so much!!!! With the point about the 'closed systems' and how other countries affect other locations, can you explain that a little bit more I'm a bit confused
lizzieparker21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you so much!!!! With the point about the 'closed systems' and how other countries affect other locations, can you explain that a little bit more I'm a bit confused
Hi, sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. What I mean is that a closed system is a physical system that does not allow the transfer of matter in or out of the system. As individual countries do not have a way of containing their emissions, there is a high chance that if something is emitted from one country, the pollutants will end up affecting somewhere else. The ozone hole in Antarctica is proof of this, as the only people living there are scientists generally, so it's not like they would be producing enough emissions to create a hole that big. This suggests that the actions of other countries have caused this localised effect in Antarctica.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (82)
26.62%
England (104)
33.77%
Belgium (26)
8.44%
Germany (37)
12.01%
Spain (5)
1.62%