I think I chose the wrong course. Anyone else felt like this?

Watch
ILuvPoundLand
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ok so I'm 20 years old, in my first year doing education studies because I love teaching.From tutoring I've had a 100% success rate and have a lot of energy in social situations in general. However what I can't stand is having to learn all this about sociology, politics and philosophy. In A levels I never did a social science I did Maths, Chemistry and Physics. It feels like the more I study the less I know, it's like they just make up loads of terms and expect you to understand. The jargon in it just pisses me off, don't know if I sound like a **** but jargon isn't a sign of intelligence, it's a sign of pretentiousness.

Let me be clear, I do NOT think social sciences are terrible or a waste of time, I just feel I'm so far out of my depth with it. I've been enjoying my psychology and economics modules MUCH more than my more conventional units. I don't know if it's because I'm just not used to it, but I really don't want to actually do educational research if I keep doing the course I'd much rather be active in what teaching is. With my A levels I'm actually able to still teach in high demand subjects but I'm not sure how long this will still be a thing... I constantly feel like I hate this course and want to switch sometimes I know it's first year so I'm still settling in, but I should be enjoying at least half my units right?

I'll probably switch to more exam based subjects (I did better in my psychology exam than both my essays on my other units in the first term, high first and the essays being a 2:1 and a mid third) or hopefully psychology in education after this year. But other than that I really am not sure what I can do. Please help?

EDIT: I was originally gonna do biochem, but got rejected from all my choices so I chose this because it's a top 10 uni and I love teaching and when I say switch, I constantly think of it and keep telling myself "just see how you feel after the year and think which units you liked and didn't like."
Last edited by ILuvPoundLand; 1 month ago
HuntersShadow
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did a joint degree in Educational Studies and English-would something like that be better for you? I think if I had just done an educational studies degree, based on that element of my course, I'd have quit after 6 months. It was very boring having to learn so much Jargon-I'm right with you there. The only element I liked was psychology of Education. Ugh just thinking about all the *****y mind maps and timelines we had to do-it all felt a little too much like year 9 work to me. This one module we did in first year-historical issues in Education, had to have been the most bored I've ever felt. Having said that, I did love my Dissertation-which had to be Educational based. I'm only speaking for myself here obviously and my experience can't be generalised but looking back, apart from the Psychology module and the dissertation-I can't say I enjoyed much else of the educational side. I tend to remember all the English essays I did. Do you have any modules such as meeting educational needs? Personally, I would say if you're just doing a straight Educational studies degree, it won't get better because it's just going to be more of the same. It sounds like Psychology in Education or maybe a split degree with one half being education would be better for you? Or even a degree in any subject, such as maths. But then I think, if you're going to be applying for a PGCE, there may be an issue with funding as I think you only get 4 years. But then if you did do maths or one that will give you a bursary to study, that wouldn't be a concern. You don't have to do an educational studies degree to be a teacher.

What subject are you hoping to teach?
Last edited by HuntersShadow; 1 month ago
ILuvPoundLand
Rep:
?
(Original post by HuntersShadow)
I did a joint degree in Educational Studies and English-would something like that be better for you? I think if I had just done an educational studies degree, based on that element of my course, I'd have quit after 6 months. It was very boring having to learn so much Jargon-I'm right with you there. The only element I liked was psychology of Education. Ugh just thinking about all the *****y mind maps and timelines we had to do-it all felt a little too much like year 9 work to me. This one module we did in first year-historical issues in Education, had to have been the most bored I've ever felt. Having said that, I did love my Dissertation-which had to be Educational based. I'm only speaking for myself here obviously and my experience can't be generalised but looking back, apart from the Psychology module and the dissertation-I can't say I enjoyed much else of the educational side. I tend to remember all the English essays I did. Do you have any modules such as meeting educational needs? Personally, I would say if you're just doing a straight Educational studies degree, it won't get better because it's just going to be more of the same. It sounds like Psychology in Education or maybe a split degree with one half being education would be better for you? Or even a degree in any subject, such as maths. But then I think, if you're going to be applying for a PGCE, there may be an issue with funding as I think you only get 4 years. But then if you did do maths or one that will give you a bursary to study, that wouldn't be a concern. You don't have to do an educational studies degree to be a teacher.

What subject are you hoping to teach?
Well I would love to be a headteacher and run my own academy, but I reckon teaching maths or a science since students seem to struggle in those subjects the most and I can bring my energy into it, also I am enjoying my economics module which is like maths but with social psychology at the same time sort of. I'm not fazed about switching since you can do that at any point in your life anyway? And yeah I also have experience in special needs facilities so I know what I'd be getting myself into. My overall move was to try my best in all the units and see which I liked and didn't like. But yeah even if it means switching uni as long as it's something I like and I do well in it. I do have a vision of what to do outside of formal education however.

As for the next two years yeah it looks more like it's moreso on about social justice and pedagogy, there are some units with psychology in mind but it's moreso this. However, some of the modules I am interested in just no where near as much as the psychology and more exam based ones at the moment. I'll just have to see afterwards, I don't if I might be able to switch into second year for psychology in education because 3 of my modules (including my open one) are shared with that course in first year and I already have experience with stats due to maths A Level. Plus because of covid... what did I even miss out on this year lol?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why not do a science degree - I'll bet you'd be far more employable as a teacher that way. You would also have a broader skillset if you decided to look for other work.
ILuvPoundLand
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Why not do a science degree - I'll bet you'd be far more employable as a teacher that way. You would also have a broader skillset if you decided to look for other work.
Oh yeah sorry I forgot to mention but I wasn't the best at lab experiments, somehow still did well in chem and got a C in physics tho lol
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ILuvPoundLand)
Oh yeah sorry I forgot to mention but I wasn't the best at lab experiments, somehow still did well in chem and got a C in physics tho lol
how about maths?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'll be blunt: I think you chose the wrong course.
I can tell from this part of your first post: "I chose this because it's a top 10 uni and I love teaching"

When choosing a university course there are two rules...
Rule #1: Never choose a course or institution because you friend is doing it.
Rule #2: Always pick the course first and the university second. If you do it the other way around, situations like yours happen.

Education Studies is not teacher training. See my explanation here.

In terms of what to do next, if you want to become a teacher then there isn't usually much point doing a single honours Education Studies course. You need to decide what you want to teach first. In an ideal world you should try to complete some qualifications at Higher Education in the subject you wish to deliver. Typically a PGCE provider will want to see 40% or 50% of your undergraduate degree in the subject you wish to teach. There are routes around that like SKE courses but you are early enough in the process to get it right now.

So my first questions are:
What A Levels do you hold?
What do you want to teach?
Starlight15
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ILuvPoundLand)
Ok so I'm 20 years old, in my first year doing education studies because I love teaching.From tutoring I've had a 100% success rate and have a lot of energy in social situations in general. However what I can't stand is having to learn all this about sociology, politics and philosophy. In A levels I never did a social science I did Maths, Chemistry and Physics. It feels like the more I study the less I know, it's like they just make up loads of terms and expect you to understand. The jargon in it just pisses me off, don't know if I sound like a **** but jargon isn't a sign of intelligence, it's a sign of pretentiousness.

Let me be clear, I do NOT think social sciences are terrible or a waste of time, I just feel I'm so far out of my depth with it. I've been enjoying my psychology and economics modules MUCH more than my more conventional units. I don't know if it's because I'm just not used to it, but I really don't want to actually do educational research if I keep doing the course I'd much rather be active in what teaching is. With my A levels I'm actually able to still teach in high demand subjects but I'm not sure how long this will still be a thing... I constantly feel like I hate this course and want to switch sometimes I know it's first year so I'm still settling in, but I should be enjoying at least half my units right?

I'll probably switch to more exam based subjects (I did better in my psychology exam than both my essays on my other units in the first term, high first and the essays being a 2:1 and a mid third) or hopefully psychology in education after this year. But other than that I really am not sure what I can do. Please help?

EDIT: I was originally gonna do biochem, but got rejected from all my choices so I chose this because it's a top 10 uni and I love teaching and when I say switch, I constantly think of it and keep telling myself "just see how you feel after the year and think which units you liked and didn't like."
I know how you feel, even though I love my course the only part that I don't like is educational research module I found that module really boring and it didn't interest me but I managed to get a good grade at the end

Is Educational research the only module you don't enjoy?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (377)
14.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.07%
Lack of purpose or motivation (359)
14.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.53%
Financial worries (94)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed