The Student Room Group

is there a brazil variant in the uk? another lockdown??

huuhhhh i found in the news that there is a new variant

what does that mean??
it means very little for now.

If it becomes wide spread, then it could mean the slowing down of lifting restrictions because of the reduction in effectiveness of the vaccines. Which while it would be frustrating, in the long-run isn't an issue because newer adapted vaccines are already being produced to combat variants/mutations.

In all likelyhood the goverment, with the level of testing we have now, will manage to control the new variant, and things will go on opening up as normal. We have had a number of small batches of the S.A. variant, which contains the same worrying mutation as the Brazillian one, and so far none have blown up to become anything serious.
Reply 2
Original post by fallen_acorns

If it becomes wide spread, then it could mean the slowing down of lifting restrictions because of the reduction in effectiveness of the vaccines. Which while it would be frustrating, in the long-run isn't an issue because newer adapted vaccines are already being produced to combat variants/mutations.

In all likelyhood the goverment, with the level of testing we have now, will manage to control the new variant, and things will go on opening up as normal. We have had a number of small batches of the S.A. variant, which contains the same worrying mutation as the Brazillian one, and so far none have blown up to become anything serious.

ok thanks for telling me its makes sense now
Reply 3
Original post by fallen_acorns

I agree. But then again - the muppet who tested positive for the new variant either filled in their details incorrectly or did so deliberately. So there is someone out there unknown, potentially spreading the new variant everywhere. We can only hope they get a handle on it.
i'm surprised it actually came to the uk. i would've thought the quarantines they make people have when they come to the uk were done well. it leaves me to believe they either aren't done properly or they don't monitor them
Original post by aiwiloistyping
i'm surprised it actually came to the uk. i would've thought the quarantines they make people have when they come to the uk were done well. it leaves me to believe they either aren't done properly or they don't monitor them

Two of the people with the variant came in during the surprisingly long time between the goverment saying that it was urgent and essential to control the borders, and them actually doing it.

Other than that, the restrictions are only on certain countries. There is nothing stopping someone travelling to another neutral country, giving it to someone, and then them travelling to the UK. That's why partial border measures don't work.
Original post by aiwiloistyping

It was before the hotel quantining because they were slow to implement as usual.
Original post by DiddyDec
It was before the hotel quantining because they were slow to implement as usual.

The virus will get around whatever is in place.

The virus will continually mutate. They’ll be taking about the Covid (insert name of country and /or region/county/state) for a long time.

Viruses are continually mutating. It’s what they do. They’ll spread and infect, and vaccination
And/or natural exposure will stop its spread until
Such a time as it ends up like the flu. Only capable of making the most vulnerable in society at risk, but they’ll get boosters to take care of that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_pandemic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending