The Student Room Group

Transferring into SGUL medicine as an international medical student?

I'm an international student in my first year of medicine. My parents run a small shop in London that's been affected by the pandemic. I don't think I'll be able to afford school next year.

I'm considering transferring to a school in London because:
1. I can split rent with my parents
2. I can work for them so they don't have to worry about paying me and business can run more smoothly
3. I'll be living in the UK for 3 years when I apply to transfer in October 2021, so hopefully I can apply as a domestic student (which cuts my tuition fees by 75%)
4. SGUL's medicine program and my current medicine program have similar course structures

Any advice on whether I should consider transferring?

I know I shouldn't rely on this as a solution since there's the possibility I won't get accepted for the 2022/2023 cycle, so I'm happy to hear any financial or general advice to deal with my situation. I think a year off to work in 2021/2022 might be a good idea, but will that reflect poorly on my transfer application?
I’m an IMG who tried to transfer, I contacted a lot of universities and all told me it wasn’t possible. Have you asked them ?
Reply 2
I'm studying in the UK! I've been living here for about 2.5 years and got into med school for the 2020/21 cycle. Sorry for the confusion!
Original post by Hana Reyes
I'm an international student in my first year of medicine. My parents run a small shop in London that's been affected by the pandemic. I don't think I'll be able to afford school next year.

I'm considering transferring to a school in London because:
1. I can split rent with my parents
2. I can work for them so they don't have to worry about paying me and business can run more smoothly
3. I'll be living in the UK for 3 years when I apply to transfer in October 2021, so hopefully I can apply as a domestic student (which cuts my tuition fees by 75%)
4. SGUL's medicine program and my current medicine program have similar course structures

Any advice on whether I should consider transferring?

I know I shouldn't rely on this as a solution since there's the possibility I won't get accepted for the 2022/2023 cycle, so I'm happy to hear any financial or general advice to deal with my situation. I think a year off to work in 2021/2022 might be a good idea, but will that reflect poorly on my transfer application?

Can't really comment on transfers etc but I would definitely flag the finances issues with your academic tutor (or whoever your main faculty point of contact is) because they might be able to offer a hardship fund or bursary, or try and help in some other way? They might also be able to advise on transferring.
Reply 4
I haven't discussed this with my current med school yet. I came here for some starting advice before I proceed. Based off your advice, I'll go ahead and contact my year's student financial officers and email SGUL, so thank you for that. I'm not too sure what I'll do about the references since this whole year has been online and I haven't been able to make any solid connections or even see anyone in person, but I think contacting the first year coordinator might be a start.
Reply 5
Original post by becausethenight
Can't really comment on transfers etc but I would definitely flag the finances issues with your academic tutor (or whoever your main faculty point of contact is) because they might be able to offer a hardship fund or bursary, or try and help in some other way? They might also be able to advise on transferring.

Thank you for your advice! Just to make sure, will hardship funds or bursaries be offered to international students? I always thought they were only for domestic students.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I’m an IMG who tried to transfer, I contacted a lot of universities and all told me it wasn’t possible. Have you asked the

I haven't asked any medical schools yet. I'm still in the planning stages and hoped to get some advice here before proceeding. I'm going to contact SGUL tomorrow based off your and many others' advice on this thread. Also, I'm sorry to hear about your transfer attempt. I hope things are going well for you now. If I may ask, which med school did you go to, which schools did you contact and what were the reasons they gave as to why you couldn't transfer? No pressure to answer btw!
Reply 7
Thank you once again for your response. I'll email my year's coordinator and my school's financial officers about my fees and hopefully something can get sorted out. If nothing can be done, I hope I can at least be allowed to take a year off to make money to pay my fees. As for the transfer, I agree with you on it being very unlikely. That's the reason why I wanted to get some advice here before I did something that would've been futile and possibly have damaged the relationship with my current med school.
I haven't asked any medical schools yet. I'm still in the planning stages and hoped to get some advice here before proceeding. I'm going to contact SGUL tomorrow based off your and many others' advice on this thread. Also, I'm sorry to hear about your transfer attempt. I hope things are going well for you now. If I may ask, which med school did you go to, which schools did you contact and what were the reasons they gave as to why you couldn't transfer? No pressure to answer btw!

I studied in Hungary. Many Scandinavian students can transfer back to Denmark/Sweden.

I contacted about 4 outside London. They gave no answer as to why, just that it wasn’t possible.
Thank you for your advice! Just to make sure, will hardship funds or bursaries be offered to international students? I always thought they were only for domestic students.

I'm a home student but I'm pretty sure that at my med school at least there's stuff for international students, as you can get support with visa fees and stuff like that? I imagine it will vary a lot between schools, though.
Either way, there's no harm in asking :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by becausethenight
I'm a home student but I'm pretty sure that at my med school at least there's stuff for international students, as you can get support with visa fees and stuff like that? I imagine it will vary a lot between schools, though.
Either way, there's no harm in asking :smile:

Thanks for your response! I contacted my med school first about financial support and they got me started on a few applications. I've gained some hope that I'll be able to continue school next year. If that's not possible though, a year off doesn't sound too bad, either!
Thanks for your response! I contacted my med school first about financial support and they got me started on a few applications. I've gained some hope that I'll be able to continue school next year. If that's not possible though, a year off doesn't sound too bad, either!

Glad to hear this :smile:
:goodluck:
Hi kidneybeans123.
I can message you, and others, once I get full private messaging rights.
I only recently joined TSR, to help the research on foundation application experiences.. so bear with me friend, and I am following.

~ as usual, a big well done to all med students and junior docs for getting this far, as medical school's hard enough xx
Original post by what'saPneumonia
Hi kidneybeans123.
I can message you, and others, once I get full private messaging rights.
I only recently joined TSR, to help the research on foundation application experiences.. so bear with me friend, and I am following.

~ as usual, a big well done to all med students and junior docs for getting this far, as medical school's hard enough xx

Of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending