The Student Room Group

Don’t identify with autism diagnosis

I was diagnosed with ASD (autism) when I was around 11/12 which is something I’ve always struggled with as there’s a big stigma around being autistic. I just don’t relate or really have any of the symptoms of it apart from social anxiety. I have good friendships, have been in a relationship for 4 years, and have no problems understanding social cues or facial expressions as many people with ASD do. Just wondering if anyone else has the same diagnosis and also feels like they don’t have it? I just find it all so confusing and don’t want people to treat me differently for it as I don’t even think I have it.
Original post by Anonymous
I was diagnosed with ASD (autism) when I was around 11/12 which is something I’ve always struggled with as there’s a big stigma around being autistic. I just don’t relate or really have any of the symptoms of it apart from social anxiety. I have good friendships, have been in a relationship for 4 years, and have no problems understanding social cues or facial expressions as many people with ASD do. Just wondering if anyone else has the same diagnosis and also feels like they don’t have it? I just find it all so confusing and don’t want people to treat me differently for it as I don’t even think I have it.

Hi there ! I'm also autistic. Forgive me for being blunt.

You got diagnosed when you were 11. What prompted the diagnosis and who asked for it?

Who diagnosed you with autism?
thanks
Reply 2
Hi there ! I'm also autistic. Forgive me for being blunt.

You got diagnosed when you were 11. What prompted the diagnosis and who asked for it?

Who diagnosed you with autism?
thanks

Hey, I struggled a lot with school and had bad anxiety so my mum thought I should be tested. I can’t remember who diagnosed me I think it was possibly through camhs?
Hey, I struggled a lot with school and had bad anxiety so my mum thought I should be tested. I can’t remember who diagnosed me I think it was possibly through camhs?

hmm.
Well. If you got diagnosed with autism. You probably do have it. However, you seem to be very high functioning which is good. It's just a label not an identity. You don't need to share it with anyone if you don't want to. If to doesn't affect you at the moment you don't need to think about it at all! It just means that if you need help in the future, you can get the best help possible. The autistic brain responds differently to treatment that would otherwise work on neurotypical brains.

You can of course get re assessed. You need to do that anyway if you want to get help at uni. (diagnosis aged 16 +) There have been cases where people have grown out of autistic traits and there have been people who have been misdiagnosed. I think that the best option here is just to get reassessed.

Good Luck!! :smile:
Reply 4
You dont have to identify with anything. For some people, a diagnosis is a way for them to better understand themselves. For others, its a small part of their life that they dont pay much mind to, and dont see it as something to tell others about. The latter is perfectly acceptable.

Quick Reply

Latest