The Student Room Group

Law University, Training Contracts

Okay. Say I graduated university eg. Bristol with a 2:1, attended many networking events, participated in Vacation Schemes and worked hard both academically and non-academically; having then got a 2 year training contract with a MC firm eg. Slaughter & May or LinkLaters whilst they fund my LPC and say, a Msc in business alongside (6 months). The crucial question that i’m asking- what happens after the training contract? Do they hire me? Do they let me go? What are the steps after? Many thanks.
So you’re asking about the retention rate. There’s a very simple way of finding out the answer to your question. Have a look on google/chambers student/etc at the retention rates of law firms that you’re applying to.

The retention rate is the % of trainees that go on to stay at the firm and work as associates. There’s a number of factors that come into play here regarding retention: did you perform well in your TC? Is your desired department hiring and has space? Do you wish to stay on? Etc

So you can choose to stay and work as an associate or you can choose to leave (or be asked to) and work elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending