The Student Room Group

Struggling with Uni Courses

Hi, currently in year 12 doing a level bio, chem and sociology. I've realised about halfway through year 12 that I would absolutely love to study something related to history at uni. I picked the sciences because I do enjoy them, but I wasn't sure about picking history. I did it at GCSE and the only thing that stopped me from doing it at a-level were the course topics not really being anything I was willing to study for two years. However, my parents aren't taking me seriously and act like I'm only vaguely interested in history when they should know I've had a really strong passion for it. They refuse to listen to any of my reasonings - while I get that they want me to do something that'd use my a level courses a bit more, they're not believing me whatsoever or even trying to listen and it's so frustrating. They're trying to convince me to go into medicine but even though I like science, I don't want to do medicine at all. I really want to convince them to let me do something history related, or perhaps find something that mingles science and history together, but I have no idea how or what to do. It's upsetting because I don't want to end up doing a uni course that I'm not enjoying for years, but I don't know what else to do.
If you love history then go for it. You could maybe take history on as a fourth next year and get an AS grade in history, or if it's not too late pick up history now. I know a girl who picked up math a few months into the year and she was fine. There really is no point doing a uni course u don't like. Also, to study history do you need A-level history, i know that might sound silly but in my uni to study history you just need 3 A-levels its not subject specific. If the uni ur looking at is the same then you can continue with the A-levels you have now and still get into a history course, otherwise maybe consider doing AS history next year or something like that?
You're the one doing the degree so your parents need to really get over it, tbh

That said, without A-level History you may find your options slightly limited since many history degrees require A-level History. Some historical degrees that aren't specifically history, such as the history of art, history (and philosophy) of science, or archaeology, don't typically require A-level History though.

But you will need to carefully check entry requirements to see if A-level History is required.

Quick Reply

Latest