strangledleaf
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, currently in year 12 doing a level bio, chem and sociology. I've realised about halfway through year 12 that I would absolutely love to study something related to history at uni. I picked the sciences because I do enjoy them, but I wasn't sure about picking history. I did it at GCSE and the only thing that stopped me from doing it at a-level were the course topics not really being anything I was willing to study for two years. However, my parents aren't taking me seriously and act like I'm only vaguely interested in history when they should know I've had a really strong passion for it. They refuse to listen to any of my reasonings - while I get that they want me to do something that'd use my a level courses a bit more, they're not believing me whatsoever or even trying to listen and it's so frustrating. They're trying to convince me to go into medicine but even though I like science, I don't want to do medicine at all. I really want to convince them to let me do something history related, or perhaps find something that mingles science and history together, but I have no idea how or what to do. It's upsetting because I don't want to end up doing a uni course that I'm not enjoying for years, but I don't know what else to do.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
If you love history then go for it. You could maybe take history on as a fourth next year and get an AS grade in history, or if it's not too late pick up history now. I know a girl who picked up math a few months into the year and she was fine. There really is no point doing a uni course u don't like. Also, to study history do you need A-level history, i know that might sound silly but in my uni to study history you just need 3 A-levels its not subject specific. If the uni ur looking at is the same then you can continue with the A-levels you have now and still get into a history course, otherwise maybe consider doing AS history next year or something like that?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You're the one doing the degree so your parents need to really get over it, tbh

That said, without A-level History you may find your options slightly limited since many history degrees require A-level History. Some historical degrees that aren't specifically history, such as the history of art, history (and philosophy) of science, or archaeology, don't typically require A-level History though.

But you will need to carefully check entry requirements to see if A-level History is required.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (53)
28.19%
No (135)
71.81%

Watched Threads