Watch
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mechengineer8)
Just don’t do anything reckless and they won’t cancel it then
I'm sorry, but this is often not the case. Please, I implore you to read through Cars and Motoring and look at how many cancellations have come out of the blue simply because of a fault with the box.
(Original post by Euapp)
It was adding the parent as the second driver!
They edited their post....
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Euapp)
It was adding the parent as the second driver!
it is now that they have edited it - it wasn't in the first place
Euapp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ReadingMum)
it is now that they have edited it - it wasn't in the first place
Sorry I was late to the party. I only saw the edited post.😕
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by inquisiterFAQ)
I have been reading this thread throughout the day and honestly I do not really get why so many people are against a black box or what insurance companies you were with. I had 2 black boxes over 18months on a shared car. We used to get "telemetry" updates about our progress. we were not getting anything amazing (except on motorway driving) There were times were we would get rly low scores (direct line bases there score on types of roads and time of day as well as smoothness). i don't think the black box made me a better or worse driver but I took it because it saved us few hundred £s.
I am honestly intrigued as to why so many people are anti Black box?
There's lots of analogies on this forum and elsewhere, e.g:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4762290

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3558379

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...&t=1755635&i=0

Could you really afford to pay £7k - £9k for a policy as a young driver after your blackbox policy was cancelled for some trivial reason? And these prices wouldn't even drop significantly for years... madness.
virgil1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also this
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6924432
inquisiterFAQ
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RedGiant)
There's lots of analogies on this forum and elsewhere, e.g:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4762290

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3558379

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...&t=1755635&i=0

Could you really afford to pay £7k - £9k for a policy as a young driver after your blackbox policy was cancelled for some trivial reason? And these prices wouldn't even drop significantly for years... madness.
Honestly seems like it happens more to people who are the main driver. I know loads of people with a black box and never heard of this happening but on some of them is said the reason was speeding which if you ask me isn't trivial
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly seems like it happens more to people who are the main driver. I know loads of people with a black box and never heard of this happening but on some of them is said the reason was speeding which if you ask me isn't trivial
It doesn't matter who's the main driver and who isn't. The box can't differentiate.
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
On some, yes, but also braking, acceleration, time of day, scores not improving no matter what you do, because you went on holiday for a week without telling them, slightly exceeding your estimated mileage by accident, etc. And then there's the mileage top-ups, extortionate "engineer" charges (aka some bloke with a multimeter), threatening warnings, yada yada. Some get on fine but personally I wouldn't for the sake of saving a few hundred quid.
inquisiterFAQ
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RedGiant)
On some, yes, but also braking, acceleration, time of day, scores not improving no matter what you do, because you went on holiday for a week without telling them, slightly exceeding your estimated mileage by accident, etc. And then there's the mileage top-ups, extortionate "engineer" charges (aka some bloke with a multimeter), threatening warnings, yada yada. Some get on fine but personally I wouldn't for the sake of saving a few hundred quid.
I'm interested to know if it is the same insurance companies because if it is it sort of defeats the point of a black box
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Daughter has her black box from Admiral and it has been no trouble at all. In a couple of months she will reach 2 years with it and the box can go having totally served its purpose
Teddy650123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some people can get on with black boxes some can’t and when you have a literal grassing device in your car that doesn’t take into account real driving situations it’s just awful, I used to have a box on and managed to keep above 70 out of 100 score until someone pulled out onto a 50mph road suddenly causing me to slam on, did the box care why i braked hard? Nope it gave me a -10 points I suppose I should of just flew into back of him but Atleast my score would of been fine. Another time was for a family emergency at 11pm which most boxes have *****y curfews and about time I got back at 11.40 pm I was marked down 12 points, did support care? all well and good saying your box is fine until something happens and some companies are more strict than others, I have found ticker doesn’t care as long as you don’t speed where as Hastings love to email and ring you with threats for this and that, personally if you like driving like a granny with no joy of driving and constant anxiety about your score then have the box but for people who want peace of mind and to enjoy driving don’t have one but I do think for first year it’s wise to have a box as it lowers insurance and I had a box on for first 2 years of my driving and the reason some people get on and some don’t all comes down to the company you’re with but for me the box made me get driving anxiety and made me drive more dangerously as I was scared to do anything! I’m not a boy racer but they treat you like one and boxes are not accurate like once I was accused of doing 60mph in a 30mph zone and got email of cancellation when the road I did 60 on was a 60 zone but the box wasn’t updated and they ended up continuing the insurance but things like that I just don’t want hanging over me.
Last edited by Teddy650123; 1 month ago
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Admiral Little Box didn't seem to feedback any sort of score and they certainly never contacted her. To be honest I am not sure it actually did anything at all but that is their problem not mine.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have been reading this thread throughout the day and honestly I do not really get why so many people are against a black box or what insurance companies you were with. I had 2 black boxes over 18months on a shared car. We used to get "telemetry" updates about our progress. we were not getting anything amazing (except on motorway driving) There were times were we would get rly low scores (direct line bases there score on types of roads and time of day as well as smoothness). i don't think the black box made me a better or worse driver but I took it because it saved us few hundred £s.
I am honestly intrigued as to why so many people are anti Black box?
Well you obv didn't get cancelled so you luv your blackbox insurer. You might not feel the same way about them if you'd just got a letter saying "lol, computer say possible bad driver, you cancelled. We tried to warn you, but not much"

If you read wider threads here you'll find untold 100's of these 'I wanted to save myself a few 100 and it's going to cost me 1000s' threads.
Nick6501
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A girl i went college with who drove a Polo was driving to college one day and her rear tyre gave out causing car to spin out and go up pavement a little and to this day i still don't know how the insurance knew about it maybe a sudden drop in speed or braking or maybe they can detect motion but after she had her dad turn up along with AA she got back on the road but she obviously was a little shook up but came to college still and she told me about it and literally not even joking her insurance phoned her up while at college and texting her to answer phone and stuff so she had to and they were accusing her of doing donuts and drifts and spoke her like she had just done 120mph through a schoolzone or something like talking completely horrible to her and called her a liar and not once asked if shes okay and they cancelled her insurance right there and then and she now has to pay triple the price simply because her insurance company treated her like a boyracer and how dare you question the accuracy of our box as it knows everything.

Just avoid a box on your car they don't make you drive safer in my opinion if anything they make you too scared to brake or accelerate which can be dangerous. I used to have a box but cancelled it after they marked me down points simply because i pulled out onto a 50mph road and obviously had to get up to speed but apparently i should of gently built up speed and hope nobody rear ended me or i should of waited 6 hours for a break in traffic and like others said above a box will never be able to take into account real driving situations or detect the reason for doing something it just assumes oh you braked hard for no reason BAD DRIVER!!
Last edited by Nick6501; 1 month ago
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Skiing_is_life)
Right, looking for insurance quotes and i really don’t want a black box. It sounds like they’re not too strict from what I’ve read but I don’t want to feel like I’ve got someone/something monitoring my driving all the time.

Realistically, is there anyway a 17yo can get insurance without one - without being crazy money?
Do your research. Get quotes from everywhere. Comparison sites, insurance companies directly etc etc.
Add parents as a named driver. Obviously yourself still as the main driver. This brings the price down.
Try quotes for different cars to see what works cheapest for you.
Whatever you do don't get a black box. They are the work of the devil.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (547)
14.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (418)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (514)
13.77%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (185)
4.96%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.38%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.88%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.5%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.4%

Watched Threads