The Student Room Group

University time spent studying

How many hours per day/week are you supposed to spend doing university work(including scheduled lectures etc)?
Original post by Anonymous
How many hours per day/week are you supposed to spend doing university work(including scheduled lectures etc)?

Apparently like 3-4 hours a day
I think rule of thumb is an hr outside for every hr you are learning (ie lectures etc). This is usually recommend for A Level studies and higher
It totally depends on the course - medicine will be a lot more hours than some of the essay type course.
Original post by ReadingMum
It totally depends on the course - medicine will be a lot more hours than some of the essay type course.

Completely agree, depends also on what kind of learner you are too!

Hey anonymous,
As others have stated this is really dependant on the course. However at my University each module is worth a specific number of credits, usually 10 or 20 and each of those credits represents roughly 10 hours of work. So for a 20 credit module you are expected to do 200 hours of work over the course of the term. Somewhat more than one hour for every contact hour you receive. These hours however do encompass lectures, seminars, practicals, wider reading, assignments and revision so when broken down the hours seem more sensible and manageable.

I hope this helps
Zoe
Second year Biological sciences and student ambassador
Hi there,

I hope you're okay!

I do Law, and the Law School recommends that you treat your degree like a full time job, in order to get the most out of your studies. So, my working hours are around 9-4! After 4 (unless I have a seminar till 5), I like to do things other than University work - so I have a balance! I've found this works really well for me, as I am able to do as much as I can throughout the day and rest in the afternoon / evenings. I don't think there's really a certain amount of hours you're 'supposed' to do, but it definitely comes with knowing what times of the day you work best, and catering work around that.

I hope that's helpful :smile:

Ana:h:
University of Liverpool Rep.

Hiya!

This will really differ between each course, year and university! :smile:

I study Marketing with Psychology and for me:
- In 1 st year
I had around 12 hours of lecture/seminars each week and then would try to work for 2-3 hours a day on top (depending on how busy my day was)

- In 2nd year
This varied due to covid! However, i had around 8 hours of lectures face to face and would work 3+ hours a day and then had to watch pre-recorded lectures and attend 3 hours of online seminars and workshops from March 2020-June 2020.

- In 3rd year
This has all been virtual. I have 6 hours of seminars to attend and then in my own time I have to watch the pre-recorded lectures, o the recommended reading and complete seminar tasks. I would say my workload this year has increased and i'm pretty much working overall (including seminars/lectures) for 6 hours a day and then around 4-5 on the weekend.

Hope this helps!
Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

Hiya,

Hope you're well :biggrin:

As everyone on this thread has said, the amount of time you can/should spend working totally depends on your course.

For example, in first year, my course (journalism) had about nine hours contact time across the week, but my friend's course (physiotherapy) had sessions all day, every day! As a result, I obviously had a lot more time to study away from the classroom than her (which required a lot of motivation!).

Regardless of your timetabled lectures/seminars/workshops etc., it's important to maintain a work-life balance, so when you are working you're doing the best you possibly can! I'm sure your academic staff can give you an idea of what a healthy amount of time is if you're really worried about this.

Best,

Sophie - Student Ambassador :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest