The Student Room Group

Do smelly people know they stink?

In lectures you get some people who really stink..but how come they can't smell it? Everyone else can but surely if they knew how much they stank they'd wash? So..when you see smelly people..do you think they know how much they stink? Are you smelly but don't know? Explain..

Scroll to see replies

They probably can't smell it because they're used to it. Like when you wear perfume after a few minutes you can't smell it but everyone else can. So they don't know they smell and therefore don't do anything about it.
No you can't smell yourself.
Reply 3
A fox can't smell it's own hole. So I'm guessing not.
Reply 4
Interesting quandry isn't it?!

It's like do fat people not see how fat they are when they look in the mirror?! I don't understand how stinky people can't know they smell, but then again surely you wouldn't go about the place not bathing if you could smell it...:s-smilie:
Reply 5
Some people are aware that they smell but are unable to do anything about it. Perhaps normal deodorants etc are not strong enough for them etc
Reply 6
Yeah I was thinking about that this morning actually.... the other day this really smelly man got on the bus (almost empty btw) and came and sat right in front of me. I nearly choked on it. Anyway he got on this morning and I was sitting right at the back and he sat right at the front and I could still smell him. Loads of people were making not very subtle comments, so he may have picked up on it. Who knows - maybe they do know, but they hate society so much they have decided to punish it.
Reply 7
abc101
I don't understand how stinky people can't know they smell, but then again surely you wouldn't go about the place not bathing if you could smell it...:s-smilie:

Because you're used to the smell, evne after 5 minutes of smelling. Unless you put your nose to your armpit.
This is something I've always wondered about. Like, they must notice whenever I'm sweaty I get whiff of it :s-smilie: If they're just naturally smelly maybe they can't?
Reply 9
Sometimes I can smell myself but I smell like roses
Is it just me or does anyone else ALWAYS get wedged up against some smelly person on a bus?
The worst time was on a bus on a sweltering summer's day...smelly boy with armpit exposed+my rubbish sense of balance when standing on buses+sudden stop= noseful of unpleasantness.
I mean, come on.
If you haven't washed for a week, do NOT use public transport. :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Rehehelly
Because you're used to the smell, evne after 5 minutes of smelling. Unless you put your nose to your armpit.

But you don't get used to it. If I'm sweaty I can permanently smell it and am aware of it.

But even if that were true, surely you should notice you whiff as soon as you start being stinky and go and do something about it, like bathe perhaps?!
x-Disenchanted-x
Is it just me or does anyone else ALWAYS get wedged up against some smelly person on a bus?
The worst time was on a bus on a sweltering summer's day...smelly boy with armpit exposed+my rubbish sense of balance when standing on buses+sudden stop= noseful of unpleasantness.
I mean, come on.
If you haven't washed for a week, do NOT use public transport. :s-smilie:

I feel sorry for people on the Tube in the middle of summer.
Actually I was on a train back from Liverpool and this guy got on smelling like a chippy mixed with sardines.:s-smilie:
RedDragon
I feel sorry for people on the Tube in the middle of summer.
Actually I was on a train back from Liverpool and this guy got on smelling like a chippy mixed with sardines.:s-smilie:

A chippy mixed with sardines...mmm, delicious :p:

(I'm not being serious. He should have been thrown off personally).
Even more reasons why I never use public transport.
Reply 15
I have anosmia (no sense of smell) and often wonder about things like this. There's this one guy in our class who apparently smells really bad- bad enough for everybody to move permanently to the other side of the room away from him. I often wonder why he doesn't do anything about it.
Reply 16
dude come on, if you smell u must be aware of it by people around you:

top tips:
carry some perfume or sent in a small bottle on you
carry a small pack of wet wipes and deodrant
and put some water on your wrists its been proven to cool you down within minutes

Their is no excuse for being smelly!!!
summerjam
dude come on, if you smell u must be aware of it by people around you:

top tips:
carry some perfume or sent in a small bottle on you
carry a small pack of wet wipes and deodrant
and put some water on your wrists its been proven to cool you down within minutes

Their is no excuse for being smelly!!!

What about Pheremones(sp?)
Reply 18
I'm sorry..but if you're that smelly..you have to be able to smell yourself..
benjamin2k
I'm sorry..but if you're that smelly..you have to be able to smell yourself..

No you don't. Trust me. I can smell you, but I bet you didn't know that you smelt that bad?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending