The Student Room Group

Mental health careers

Hi there, hoping someone can give me advice on this issue i have.
I'm currently working in a primary school as a pastoral assistant (ELSA), i basically work with children who have additional needs such as autism, ADHD, behavioural problems, anxieties etc. The year before this i was a teaching assistant supporting in class, however i was over the moon to be offered this role as i have been picturing myself going down the mental health route for a while now and i think the experience of this will help massively. My issue is as much as i love this job the pay is TA pay which to be honest is awful and i can barely just pay my bills every month never mind actually do/buy things that bring me joy and I don't have a partner so no extra income there. I don't mind getting a part time job but don't want to be working two jobs long term. I've looked into child psychology as that would be my dream job but 7 years is just too long to be studying whilst working two jobs. Was wondering if anyone knew any other mental health jobs working with children which wouldn't take as many years studying. I know it's a bit long but any advice would be appreciated, just want as much info as i can as I don't want to waste anymore time.
Would you be interested in therapy? It's only four years.
Original post by sunny.side.up
Would you be interested in therapy? It's only four years.

How would i go about doing that, can i do it all in one course?
There’s also Mental Health Nursing, that only takes 3 years
Occupational therapy- 3 years.
Speach and language therapist - 3 years?
Original post by beckaireland94
How would i go about doing that, can i do it all in one course?

Most therapists need a bachelor's degree, and then a master's degree or a doctoral degree.
Original post by glassalice
Occupational therapy- 3 years.
Speach and language therapist - 3 years?

I'll have a look into them thanks!
Original post by sunny.side.up
Most therapists need a bachelor's degree, and then a master's degree or a doctoral degree.

That's the path i was looking at going down originally but it would take 6-7 years and I don't want to have to work two jobs as well as studying for that long
Original post by MedicWil
There’s also Mental Health Nursing, that only takes 3 years

Not sure what that involves, I'll have a look into it thank you
Original post by beckaireland94
That's the path i was looking at going down originally but it would take 6-7 years and I don't want to have to work two jobs as well as studying for that long

I understand. Sorry.
That would be great

Quick Reply

Latest