Medicine 2022 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants

Watch
Poll: which would you most want to do on a gap year?
work (58)
36.48%
travel (33)
20.75%
volunteer (30)
18.87%
lie in bed watching tv (38)
23.9%
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Welcome to the thread that no one wants to be in. I am sorry to see that you have missed your grades / been rejected and have to reapply.

However, now is not the time to feel sorry for yourself. Dust yourself off because you all have a schedule to stick to.

2 June 2021 UCAT Registration opens

28 June 2021 UCAT Booking begins

26 July 2021 UCAT Testing begins

22 September 2021 (midday) UCAT Registration close

29 September 2021 (midday) UCAT Final booking deadline (for registered candidates)

15 October 2021 UCAS application deadline

Winter-Spring 2021/22 Medical school interviews / offers

May / June 2022 Summer A-Level exams

August 2022 A-Level results day

Other TSR threads:
UCAT 2021 for 2022 entry thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6864776
BMAT 2021 for 2022 entry thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6864748
General undergrad 2021 entry thread:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6545350
"Which medical school should I apply to" megathread:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6679038

Useful links:
UCAT 2021 https://www.ucat.ac.uk/ucat/dates-and-fees/
BMAT 2021 https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/bmat/

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
xxxhazalxxx1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello! I recently decided to take a gap year this year to reapply for medicine ( long story short is that I didn't do my research into the unis I applied to and now no longer want to attend the uni's I have offers at - medicine is a 5-6 year degree so I'd like to attend an institute I actually like). I have predicted 3A*s however with teacher assessed grades being used its become uncertain if Ill be awarded that. Hence, I would like to know what the UCAS process was like last year for those who had applied early (particularly for med) but were taking autumn exams and waiting for final results. Were your uni's sympathetic to your situation, how did you input your grades into the ucas system, if you're initial awarded grades hadn't met the course requirements but your autumn exam grades had what happened? were your offers communicated as conditional or unconditional etc
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by xxxhazalxxx1)
Hello! I recently decided to take a gap year this year to reapply for medicine ( long story short is that I didn't do my research into the unis I applied to and now no longer want to attend the uni's I have offers at - medicine is a 5-6 year degree so I'd like to attend an institute I actually like).
Wait you have offers for medicine but you are going to turn them down?

That's very unwise and I (along with most people in this forum) would urge you to reconsider. You are not guaranteed to get offers next year.

At the end of the day, do you want to study Medicine, or study at X university?

I have predicted 3A*s however with teacher assessed grades being used its become uncertain if Ill be awarded that. Hence, I would like to know what the UCAS process was like last year for those who had applied early (particularly for med) but were taking autumn exams and waiting for final results.
What do you mean "applied early"? You'd still be apply by 15th October. There's no advantage if you applied in September, for example.

Were your uni's sympathetic to your situation, how did you input your grades into the ucas system, if you're initial awarded grades hadn't met the course requirements but your autumn exam grades had what happened? were your offers communicated as conditional or unconditional etc
If you didn't meet the grades you'd either have to retake again (if the med schools don't accept retakes = you may be rejected).

The offers will be conditional as always because you'll still need to meet DBS, occupational health requirements etc.

But I have to urge you to reconsider rejecting medicine offers - it's definitely not certain that you will get them again for 2022 entry.
medkristyna
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello! I recently decided to take a gap year this year to reapply for medicine ( long story short is that I didn't do my research into the unis I applied to and now no longer want to attend the uni's I have offers at - medicine is a 5-6 year degree so I'd like to attend an institute I actually like). I have predicted 3A*s however with teacher assessed grades being used its become uncertain if Ill be awarded that. Hence, I would like to know what the UCAS process was like last year for those who had applied early (particularly for med) but were taking autumn exams and waiting for final results. Were your uni's sympathetic to your situation, how did you input your grades into the ucas system, if you're initial awarded grades hadn't met the course requirements but your autumn exam grades had what happened? were your offers communicated as conditional or unconditional etc
May I have your offers?
xxxhazalxxx1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Wait you have offers for medicine but you are going to turn them down?

That's very unwise and I (along with most people in this forum) would urge you to reconsider. You are not guaranteed to get offers next year.

At the end of the day, do you want to study Medicine, or study at X university?

What do you mean "applied early"? You'd still be apply by 15th October. There's no advantage if you applied in September, for example.

If you didn't meet the grades you'd either have to retake again (if the med schools don't accept retakes = you may be rejected).

The offers will be conditional as always because you'll still need to meet DBS, occupational health requirements etc.

But I have to urge you to reconsider rejecting medicine offers - it's definitely not certain that you will get them again for 2022 entry.
Hello, Thanks for replying!

Like I said, medicine is a 6 year degree and I'd like to go somewhere I'd be comfortable. I'd hate to rush into a university decision for the sake of "certainty" just to find out that I hate the institute / structure of the course, with the mental health issues that I currently have I just know a realisation like that could destroy my degree or worse

I think you may have misunderstood or I may not have articulated clearly enough. By early entry, I mean with respect to the general UCAS deadline in January for non medicine/detistry and Oxbridge applicants

In the next round of applications, I will not be prioritising a certain university, merely doing the work I didn't do this year to thoroughly research each and every uni/course I apply to. I will still be applying strategically when doing this to maximise my chances of getting an offer with my individual portfolio
ecolier
Rep:
?
...Like I said, medicine is a 6 year degree and I'd like to go somewhere I'd be comfortable....
The problem is, as a junior doctor you won't get to choose exactly where you will be working so you may as well get used to it now.

Can you tell us where you have offers?

Not every med school's course is 6 years long as I'm sure you know. Plus you are only going to be at the Uni for the first 2-3 years, afterwards you are going to be based at the hospitals / GPs anyway!
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
Incidentaloma
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In the next round of applications, I will not be prioritising a certain university, merely doing the work I didn't do this year to thoroughly research each and every uni/course I apply to. I will still be applying strategically when doing this to maximise my chances of getting an offer with my individual portfolio
You have multiple offers. To be completely honest, if you think all of them are unsuitable for you in some way then I don't think the issue is the universities you've chosen, it's that you're feeling frightened in general and you're hoping that the anxiety will go away if you reapply. That is unlikely to happen. You'll just find other things to worry about next time round. Another possibility is that you're having second thoughts about medicine as a career and are procrastinating about starting. Anxiety and second-guessing are both very common, especially if you have mental health difficulties, and there are much more effective ways to deal with these very natural feelings than by giving up your offers!

Med schools are all required to cover the same content in order to meet the requisite professional standards, they almost all teach using PBL or integrated methods, and they're all based in cities whose infrastructure is big enough to support the course. This means that realistically the similarities between them are going to be far greater than the differences. The most major difference lies in selection criteria, and as you got offers, you must have played to your strengths - it is very difficult to see how you could improve on that! You have a lot to lose and nothing to gain by reapplying.
Sweet122
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if I want to do work experience, what time in my gap year should this be done? am I meant to do it during my holidays? is that even long enough to be considered work experience?
scaryelephant
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sweet122)
if I want to do work experience, what time in my gap year should this be done? am I meant to do it during my holidays? is that even long enough to be considered work experience?
Hey guys, unfortunately got rejected to all my options except 1 (doubt ill get an offer).
Reapplying lets gooo!!!!
Doris Yip
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thinking to reapply. Can l use my 2021 A levels result to reapply or have to resit all subjects again next Summer? Provided l got the grades medical schools require and they don't change the entry requirement. Thanks
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doris Yip)
Thinking to reapply. Can l use my 2021 A levels result to reapply or have to resit all subjects again next Summer? Provided l got the grades medical schools require and they don't change the entry requirement. Thanks
No need to resit assuming you got the standard offer grades.
Doris Yip
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks. What's the advice on extra and clearing, if any for this year?
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doris Yip)
Thanks. What's the advice on extra and clearing, if any for this year?
What do you mean?

It's currently just UCLan in UCAS Extra at the moment. It's best to follow the thread made for Medicine Extra / Clearing here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6915438. I will keep the first post of that thread updated when I know more med schools are in.
scaryelephant
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ecolier, I was wondering whether I would have a disadvantage if I reapplied in 2022 because my a-levels would be from CAGs rather than official exams, and the year 13s next year will be sitting the official A-level exams.
Also, could you recommend me some work experience as I have researched and found nothing
Neptism
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I've taken many gap years. My first gap year was for retakes, the second one was for my health, the third because of Covid. Because of this, I fear my application will look extremely undesirable if I were to take another gap year.
I applied for Foundation Medicine this year(still waiting for a decision) but I'm undecided if I want to take another gap year if I fail to get a offer.
I am generally bored of gap years and want to get on university already. So I really want to go university this year and do Biomedical science as a gateway to medicine(which I'm aware is a unpopular and difficult path to take).
What should I do if I fail to get a offer this time around?
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by scaryelephant)
ecolier, I was wondering whether I would have a disadvantage if I reapplied in 2022 because my a-levels would be from CAGs rather than official exams, and the year 13s next year will be sitting the official A-level exams.
Also, could you recommend me some work experience as I have researched and found nothing
No, CAGs = official exams by law.

(Original post by Neptism)
Hi, I've taken many gap years. My first gap year was for retakes, the second one was for my health, the third because of Covid. Because of this, I fear my application will look extremely undesirable if I were to take another gap year.
I applied for Foundation Medicine this year(still waiting for a decision) but I'm undecided if I want to take another gap year if I fail to get a offer.
I am generally bored of gap years and want to get on university already. So I really want to go university this year and do Biomedical science as a gateway to medicine(which I'm aware is a unpopular and difficult path to take).
What should I do if I fail to get a offer this time around?
Then you'd be even more likely to fail to get an offer as a transfer or graduate entry medicine, just think of it that way.

What makes you think you would be able to get much higher scores in a year or a few's time?
Neptism
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Then you'd be even more likely to fail to get an offer as a transfer or graduate entry medicine, just think of it that way.

What makes you think you would be able to get much higher scores in a year or a few's time?
The way I thought of it was that they would presume my knowledge has faded away from the time I sat my a level exams. If I went through a undergraduate course and applied immediately, they would see me as a fresh graduate rather than a decayed former a level student.

Do you think it would be better if I took another gap year? Or is there any other alternative that I could take(other than taking biomed)?
ecolier
Rep:
?
...Do you think it would be better if I took another gap year? Or is there any other alternative that I could take(other than taking biomed)?
Of course you would, just have a look at the 2021 fastest / slowest offer holders' thread and read how many gap year reapplicants got offers.

Many are super happy that they have taken a gap year, and any alternative to gap year + standard undergrad medicine will mean that it's much more competitive.
Neptism
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Of course you would, just have a look at the 2021 fastest / slowest offer holders' thread and read how many gap year reapplicants got offers.

Many are super happy that they have taken a gap year, and any alternative to gap year + standard undergrad medicine will mean that it's much more competitive.
I see what you mean. But in my specific case, I can only apply to a extremely limited number of medical school with my current qualifications. This year, I only fit the criteria of 1 medical school(I took a chance with 2 others, but I knew I would get rejected becus I don't fit their criteria).
I am also considered just doing a level biology in 1 year and try to get a B in it first time. This is to increase my options because I didn't take biology before.
I know the graduate med entry will be 10× more difficult then this one, that's why I want to see any other alternatives for people in a similar situation to me.
ecolier
Rep:
?
...I am also considered just doing a level biology in 1 year and try to get a B in it first time. This is to increase my options because I didn't take biology before....
That is probably the best option.

Is there only one Medicine with a Foundation Year courses that you are eligible for? These 6 year courses are also more competitive (basically, anything other than standard undergrad medicine for home students will be much more competitive).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (70)
42.42%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (30)
18.18%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (62)
37.58%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (3)
1.82%

Watched Threads