The Student Room Group

Medicine 2022 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants

Poll

which would you most want to do on a gap year?

Welcome to the thread that no one wants to be in. I am sorry to see that you have missed your grades / been rejected and have to reapply.

However, now is not the time to feel sorry for yourself. Dust yourself off because you all have a schedule to stick to.

2 June 2021 UCAT Registration opens

28 June 2021 UCAT Booking begins

26 July 2021 UCAT Testing begins

22 September 2021 (midday) UCAT Registration close

29 September 2021 (midday) UCAT Final booking deadline (for registered candidates)

15 October 2021 UCAS application deadline

Winter-Spring 2021/22 Medical school interviews / offers

May / June 2022 Summer A-Level exams

August 2022 A-Level results day

Other TSR threads:
UCAT 2021 for 2022 entry thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6864776
BMAT 2021 for 2022 entry thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6864748
General undergrad 2021 entry thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6545350
"Which medical school should I apply to" megathread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6679038
Autumn resit exams megathread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7072676

Useful links:
UCAT 2021 https://www.ucat.ac.uk/ucat/dates-and-fees/
BMAT 2021 https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/bmat/

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxxhazalxxx1
Hello! I recently decided to take a gap year this year to reapply for medicine ( long story short is that I didn't do my research into the unis I applied to and now no longer want to attend the uni's I have offers at - medicine is a 5-6 year degree so I'd like to attend an institute I actually like). I have predicted 3A*s however with teacher assessed grades being used its become uncertain if Ill be awarded that. Hence, I would like to know what the UCAS process was like last year for those who had applied early (particularly for med) but were taking autumn exams and waiting for final results. Were your uni's sympathetic to your situation, how did you input your grades into the ucas system, if you're initial awarded grades hadn't met the course requirements but your autumn exam grades had what happened? were your offers communicated as conditional or unconditional etc

May I have your offers? :biggrin:
Hello, Thanks for replying!

Like I said, medicine is a 6 year degree and I'd like to go somewhere I'd be comfortable. I'd hate to rush into a university decision for the sake of "certainty" just to find out that I hate the institute / structure of the course, with the mental health issues that I currently have I just know a realisation like that could destroy my degree or worse

I think you may have misunderstood or I may not have articulated clearly enough. By early entry, I mean with respect to the general UCAS deadline in January for non medicine/detistry and Oxbridge applicants

In the next round of applications, I will not be prioritising a certain university, merely doing the work I didn't do this year to thoroughly research each and every uni/course I apply to. I will still be applying strategically when doing this to maximise my chances of getting an offer with my individual portfolio
Original post by xxxhazalxxx1
In the next round of applications, I will not be prioritising a certain university, merely doing the work I didn't do this year to thoroughly research each and every uni/course I apply to. I will still be applying strategically when doing this to maximise my chances of getting an offer with my individual portfolio

You have multiple offers. To be completely honest, if you think all of them are unsuitable for you in some way then I don't think the issue is the universities you've chosen, it's that you're feeling frightened in general and you're hoping that the anxiety will go away if you reapply. That is unlikely to happen. You'll just find other things to worry about next time round. Another possibility is that you're having second thoughts about medicine as a career and are procrastinating about starting. Anxiety and second-guessing are both very common, especially if you have mental health difficulties, and there are much more effective ways to deal with these very natural feelings than by giving up your offers!

Med schools are all required to cover the same content in order to meet the requisite professional standards, they almost all teach using PBL or integrated methods, and they're all based in cities whose infrastructure is big enough to support the course. This means that realistically the similarities between them are going to be far greater than the differences. The most major difference lies in selection criteria, and as you got offers, you must have played to your strengths - it is very difficult to see how you could improve on that! You have a lot to lose and nothing to gain by reapplying.
if I want to do work experience, what time in my gap year should this be done? am I meant to do it during my holidays? is that even long enough to be considered work experience?
Original post by Sweet122
if I want to do work experience, what time in my gap year should this be done? am I meant to do it during my holidays? is that even long enough to be considered work experience?

Hey guys, unfortunately got rejected to all my options except 1 (doubt ill get an offer).
Reapplying lets gooo!!!!
Thinking to reapply. Can l use my 2021 A levels result to reapply or have to resit all subjects again next Summer? Provided l got the grades medical schools require and they don't change the entry requirement. Thanks
Thanks. What's the advice on extra and clearing, if any for this year?
, I was wondering whether I would have a disadvantage if I reapplied in 2022 because my a-levels would be from CAGs rather than official exams, and the year 13s next year will be sitting the official A-level exams.
Also, could you recommend me some work experience as I have researched and found nothing :frown:
Hi, I've taken many gap years. My first gap year was for retakes, the second one was for my health, the third because of Covid. Because of this, I fear my application will look extremely undesirable if I were to take another gap year.
I applied for Foundation Medicine this year(still waiting for a decision) but I'm undecided if I want to take another gap year if I fail to get a offer.
I am generally bored of gap years and want to get on university already. So I really want to go university this year and do Biomedical science as a gateway to medicine(which I'm aware is a unpopular and difficult path to take).
What should I do if I fail to get a offer this time around?
The way I thought of it was that they would presume my knowledge has faded away from the time I sat my a level exams. If I went through a undergraduate course and applied immediately, they would see me as a fresh graduate rather than a decayed former a level student.

Do you think it would be better if I took another gap year? Or is there any other alternative that I could take(other than taking biomed)?
I see what you mean. But in my specific case, I can only apply to a extremely limited number of medical school with my current qualifications. This year, I only fit the criteria of 1 medical school(I took a chance with 2 others, but I knew I would get rejected becus I don't fit their criteria).
I am also considered just doing a level biology in 1 year and try to get a B in it first time. This is to increase my options because I didn't take biology before.
I know the graduate med entry will be 10× more difficult then this one, that's why I want to see any other alternatives for people in a similar situation to me.
Unfortunate no ;(
That's why I thought going through biomed will open more opportunities for me rather than just 1.
Do you think it's possible for me to complete a level biology (or more preferably Human biology, I don't like learning about plants...) in a year and get atleast a B? I haven't touched biology since high school...
Completely agree with what ecolier said ^ (I'm just browsing through different Med threads and thought I'd just pop this here)

I got 4 rejections last year. I know it feels awful after putting so much effort into your application, but rejection is just a part of life and medicine applications especially.
I reapplied this year during a gap year and already have 2 offers and waiting on 1 uni post-interview. I'm so glad I did end up taking a gap year and apply again for Medicine instead of doing an undergrad degree. I got a better UCAT and applied more strategically than last time, whilst also making sure the unis I did apply to were places I would love to be for the next 5yrs time.
1 yr in the grand scheme of things is nothing!!! Plus, during the gap year you have all the time in the world to destress and relax before another 5/6yrs of education and then going on to be a Dr. From my understanding, Medicine is HARD - a marathon, not a sprint.
Just because you didn't get in the first time round, it doesn't mean you should give up if you really want it. Trust me, I was SOOO CLOSE to giving up! I ended up deciding it was best to reapply than regret it later on, and I haven't regretted my decision at all!!

Good luck for anyone reapplying!! I've been there (I know you're gonna hate the UCAT or BMAT again), but it will all be worth it in the end!! Just have some faith!!:biggrin:

(If you have any questions about reapplying, feel free to ask me!)
I see. I'll have to give it a deeper thought then.
Thank you for the advice.☺️
Original post by chris_rp:)
Completely agree with what ecolier said ^ (I'm just browsing through different Med threads and thought I'd just pop this here)

I got 4 rejections last year. I know it feels awful after putting so much effort into your application, but rejection is just a part of life and medicine applications especially.
I reapplied this year during a gap year and already have 2 offers and waiting on 1 uni post-interview. I'm so glad I did end up taking a gap year and apply again for Medicine instead of doing an undergrad degree. I got a better UCAT and applied more strategically than last time, whilst also making sure the unis I did apply to were places I would love to be for the next 5yrs time.
1 yr in the grand scheme of things is nothing!!! Plus, during the gap year you have all the time in the world to destress and relax before another 5/6yrs of education and then going on to be a Dr. From my understanding, Medicine is HARD - a marathon, not a sprint.
Just because you didn't get in the first time round, it doesn't mean you should give up if you really want it. Trust me, I was SOOO CLOSE to giving up! I ended up deciding it was best to reapply than regret it later on, and I haven't regretted my decision at all!!

Good luck for anyone reapplying!! I've been there (I know you're gonna hate the UCAT or BMAT again), but it will all be worth it in the end!! Just have some faith!!:biggrin:

(If you have any questions about reapplying, feel free to ask me!)

Oh god. I didn’t get any offers this year unfortunately :frown: congratulations on your 2 offers, may I ask where you applied this year and where you were successful/rejected?
I don’t want to waste a year, so what did you do to make your gap year more productive?
Having to take the BMAT and UCAT again is just exhausting to think about, so how did you stay resilient?
Original post by scaryelephant
Oh god. I didn’t get any offers this year unfortunately :frown: congratulations on your 2 offers, may I ask where you applied this year and where you were successful/rejected?
I don’t want to waste a year, so what did you do to make your gap year more productive?
Having to take the BMAT and UCAT again is just exhausting to think about, so how did you stay resilient?

Awwe, I hope you are doing alright. I know it sucks right now, but I hope you know that you can do it! Don't give up! :smile:

This year, I applied to Cardiff, Sheffield, Exeter and Plymouth. I got rejected from Sheffield pre-interview due to my UCAT, but got interviews from the other 3. Currently have offers from Plymouth and Exeter, and waiting on Cardiff.
I decided to just apply to UCAT unis and focus on one test, rather than trying to practice for the BMAT as there weren't any unis that struck my fancy out of the BMAT ones. I definitely didn't get the highest UCAT score but it was a great improvement on my score last yr. Even so, I opted to apply to unis that took the UCAT into less consideration, allowing me to get more interviews this time round. I knew that UCAT scores would inflate this year so out of the 4 Med Schools I applied to, only 1 (Sheffield) really put an emphasis on the UCAT for getting an interview. In previous years, my UCAT would have met the threshold for interview, but with the rapid increase in applicants this year, it just wasn't high enough for this years cut off. When choosing Med schools, be strategic but make sure you would actually go there if you do end up getting an offer! Thinking about how the TAGs/ CAGs will affect the number of med applicants reapplying this time, I would say supposedly roughly the same or more as this year; therefore, the UCAT scores are likely to be high this year too.

In terms of taking the UCAT/ BMAT again (as I said, I only did the UCAT but the same applies if I did choose to do the BMAT), for me, it was all about how much I knew I had all the time to chill after I did the UCAT. Since I already had the grades and no longer had school to worry about, all my energy in Sept went into UCAT prep. Afterwards, I could do whatever I wanted to basically lol. I did maybe 2/3/4 hrs every day in the morning for a month leading up to the UCAT test day which really helped. Having friends who were also reapplying to medicine and dentistry; therefore also doing the UCAT really helped, as we were in the same boat and motivated each other by just updating each other on how we were finding UCAT prep etc.

For the Gap year, don't expect to fill it with anything and everything. For me, atm its a time to chill before uni. In terms of productive stuff, I've done some work to help save up for uni (specifically tutoring which helps to retain some Alevel knowledge aha), volunteering and just spent the time developing my Medicine application. Since I can't travel or leave home much, I've been doing random things to keep busy. Take the time to learn new skills! (I'm failing at learning French atm but it's good fun!)
I know this is far ahead, but when interview season comes along. Use your time wisely to practice for the interviews properly. I know I definitely didn't last year as I had Mocks, but there really is a difference between a prepared candidate and the ones who's just turned up and read the GMC the night before aha. I personally used a word doc and wrote down answers to questions I found on Medic portal and got used to practicing with friends and family who would ask random interview questions at me. (Plus, youtube vids from Ali Abdaal, Ollie Burton and Kharma Medic were really useful for med application stuff.)

Sorry this was really long-winded, but I like to be thorough lol. Good luck!! You can do it! :biggrin:
Original post by chris_rp:)
Awwe, I hope you are doing alright. I know it sucks right now, but I hope you know that you can do it! Don't give up! :smile:

This year, I applied to Cardiff, Sheffield, Exeter and Plymouth. I got rejected from Sheffield pre-interview due to my UCAT, but got interviews from the other 3. Currently have offers from Plymouth and Exeter, and waiting on Cardiff.
I decided to just apply to UCAT unis and focus on one test, rather than trying to practice for the BMAT as there weren't any unis that struck my fancy out of the BMAT ones. I definitely didn't get the highest UCAT score but it was a great improvement on my score last yr. Even so, I opted to apply to unis that took the UCAT into less consideration, allowing me to get more interviews this time round. I knew that UCAT scores would inflate this year so out of the 4 Med Schools I applied to, only 1 (Sheffield) really put an emphasis on the UCAT for getting an interview. In previous years, my UCAT would have met the threshold for interview, but with the rapid increase in applicants this year, it just wasn't high enough for this years cut off. When choosing Med schools, be strategic but make sure you would actually go there if you do end up getting an offer! Thinking about how the TAGs/ CAGs will affect the number of med applicants reapplying this time, I would say supposedly roughly the same or more as this year; therefore, the UCAT scores are likely to be high this year too.

In terms of taking the UCAT/ BMAT again (as I said, I only did the UCAT but the same applies if I did choose to do the BMAT), for me, it was all about how much I knew I had all the time to chill after I did the UCAT. Since I already had the grades and no longer had school to worry about, all my energy in Sept went into UCAT prep. Afterwards, I could do whatever I wanted to basically lol. I did maybe 2/3/4 hrs every day in the morning for a month leading up to the UCAT test day which really helped. Having friends who were also reapplying to medicine and dentistry; therefore also doing the UCAT really helped, as we were in the same boat and motivated each other by just updating each other on how we were finding UCAT prep etc.

For the Gap year, don't expect to fill it with anything and everything. For me, atm its a time to chill before uni. In terms of productive stuff, I've done some work to help save up for uni (specifically tutoring which helps to retain some Alevel knowledge aha), volunteering and just spent the time developing my Medicine application. Since I can't travel or leave home much, I've been doing random things to keep busy. Take the time to learn new skills! (I'm failing at learning French atm but it's good fun!)
I know this is far ahead, but when interview season comes along. Use your time wisely to practice for the interviews properly. I know I definitely didn't last year as I had Mocks, but there really is a difference between a prepared candidate and the ones who's just turned up and read the GMC the night before aha. I personally used a word doc and wrote down answers to questions I found on Medic portal and got used to practicing with friends and family who would ask random interview questions at me. (Plus, youtube vids from Ali Abdaal, Ollie Burton and Kharma Medic were really useful for med application stuff.)

Sorry this was really long-winded, but I like to be thorough lol. Good luck!! You can do it! :biggrin:

Honestly, thank you so much for your time. I really do appreciate the detail you’ve put into your response. Again, congratulations on your offers! They’re all definitely well deserved.

I am planning to reapply next year (2022), and I completely understand that it’ll be as competitive as this year due to the sheer number of reapplicants from this cycle. Knowing this, I’m better equipped in taking my admission exams and interviews A LOT more seriously than I did this year (I really underestimated this entire process, and I definitely don’t believe I gave it my 110% , so as much as I am disappointed with the result I can see why it has led to the rejections I’ve received). I was just wondering how you managed to convince your family to allow you to take a gap year, my mum would much rather me pursue biomed than ‘waste a year’ and she’s quite stringent too.

I am hoping to do both the UCAT and BMAT, and reapply to imperial, UCL, kings and queen mary!! (St George biomed —> would allow me to transfer to med if I do exceptional in my 1st year). I have come to grips with my choices and what I have planned.

Could you please specify what exactly you did in the gap year other than the medical prep. What specific work experience/job did you undertake? What is something you wish you did? And something you regretted doing during your gap year? How did you stay resilient/committed during this whole process also?

Quite a few questions, but I’d be super grateful if you answered (: thank you!
(edited 3 years ago)
I see. But it’s just a back up option if my second time reapplying is unsuccessful (god forbid !!).
Btw are you a current medical student ?
Original post by scaryelephant
Honestly, thank you so much for your time. I really do appreciate the detail you’ve put into your response. Again, congratulations on your offers! They’re all definitely well deserved.

I am planning to reapply next year (2022), and I completely understand that it’ll be as competitive as this year due to the sheer number of reapplicants from this cycle. Knowing this, I’m better equipped in taking my admission exams and interviews A LOT more seriously than I did this year (I really underestimated this entire process, and I definitely don’t believe I gave it my 110% , so as much as I am disappointed with the result I can see why it has led to the rejections I’ve received). I was just wondering how you managed to convince your family to allow you to take a gap year, my mum would much rather me pursue biomed than ‘waste a year’ and she’s quite stringent too.

I am hoping to do both the UCAT and BMAT, and reapply to imperial, UCL, kings and queen mary!! (St George biomed —> would allow me to transfer to med if I do exceptional in my 1st year). I have come to grips with my choices and what I have planned.

Could you please specify what exactly you did in the gap year other than the medical prep. What specific work experience/job did you undertake? What is something you wish you did? And something you regretted doing during your gap year? How did you stay resilient/committed during this whole process also?

Quite a few questions, but I’d be super grateful if you answered (: thank you!

Thank you! I'm glad my advice is helping someone lol.

As for convincing my family to take a gap year, I had multiple talks with them about whether I should reapply or simply do a different degree. My Dad had a very different frame work to your mum and really wanted me to reapply to Medicine after I got my rejections when I was looking into other degrees lol. I think you should have a proper sit down chat with your Mum explaining the benefits of a gap year and reapplying over Biomed, if reapplying is what you want to do. Why does she really want you to do BioMed when the end goal is Medicine? Wouldn't doing BioMed just prolong the journey to becoming a Dr?

Furthermore, as just said, it will be extremely competitive trying to transfer to med from biomed as many people will probably think the same as you and go for those few transfer spots. Also, doing a biomed degree with the sole purpose of transferring into Medicine isn't a good position to be in. If you don't manage to transfer, you would have just taken yourself another 3 years to get to the same place as now in terms of medicine applications, instead of just taking one extra year. Plus, I don't know about you, but the financial situation I would have to be in to sustain having both doing an undergrad degree and a Med degree afterwards isn't something I could just wing you know!
From the sounds of it, you seem like an extremely intelligent person applying to those unis in London and having all these questions! So have a proper think, in a years time from now: is it really worth the small probability of transferring from biomed to Med at SG which will lock you into that Med school or completing a gap year and probably have greater chance of getting into Medicine at 1 of 4 schools after one year out?

For your other questions:
1) I did a lot of my work experience during Yr12 and 13. Especially with Covid, there wasn't much else I could do this year and wouldn't want to put extra strain on the Drs and medical staff. You can look for online work experience which I know some of my friends did, but I personally didn't feel the need to as I'd already done work experience at 3 different hospitals and volunteered in a care home for a couple of weeks during NCS. During this year, I have tutored some A-level students (online ofc) to help save up for uni, but also to retain some of my Alevel Bio and Chem knowledge. You'd be surprised just how much you forget in a few months aha! When restrictions lift, I want to help volunteer at my local charity shop cuz of boredom you know and I used to volunteer there during Sixth form. Places like these, where many volunteers and workers are vulnerable to Covid and thus more careful really appreciate our help. Plus, it's great for things like interviews (i.e teamwork, working with a range of ages, realising the implications of health on the elderly etc).
2) Well I wish I could travel, as cliche of a gap year person it sounds. But as with everyone else, we've all had to stay put for now! Tbh, there hasn't been much I've wished to do this year, I'm just getting excited for uni haha.
3) As cliche as this sounds, I haven't regretted anything on my gap year. (Well, maybe except for eating too many cakes cuz of baking boredom!) In fact, I would say I'm very thankful that I'm in the position to have taken a gap year. Many of my friends who are at uni are stuck at home doing online lectures and it's just not what they want to be doing. If you take accommodation into account, they're spending roughly 15 grand on online learning, stuck in halls and not being able to use the facilities provided to them. Maybe one thing I may regret is not filling up my time very meaningfully with quite mundane tasks, but that's a very easy sacrifice I'm willing to make to be able to go to Med school this Sept. And even, if I was 'at uni', I would still be stuck at home, just with some lectures to watch, so you're not missing out on much if you take a gap year!!
4) How I've stayed motivated is by looking at the end goal: Being able to study Medicine. If I seriously can't wait one year to study Medicine and am easily distracted by other fields then Med is obviously not for me. Having taken a gap year has just made me more appreciative of my offers because its feels like I had to work twice as hard and put my all into this application. Having other friends who are also applying first time round or reapplying is always going to help keep you focussed, but also other friends and family who aren't applying or are already at uni will always be happy to help if they really want the best for you. Organise mock interviews and giving each other feedback is great! Life is a very fickle thing, so take it at your own pace! Everyone has their own decisions to make, if medicine and reapplying is what you truly want, then your Mum will see your side and work with you to make it work! :biggrin:

If I were you, I'd focus on getting as higher grades as possible (especially cuz you never know with the whole TAGs). I tried for clearing last year but it didn't work for me, but perhaps it could work for you! I didn't know about UCAS extra this time last year, so that's something you could also look into!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending