The Student Room Group

Can I skip GCSE topics I'm struggling to understand?

I'm doing GCSE maths and my final grade will be decided by my maths teacher.
The problem I'm having right now is that the deeper into algebra we go, the less I understand. More specifically quadratic graphs. Everything else in algebra I am scraping by on though, so if I sit the mock exam and don't know anything about quadratic graphs because I didn't understand that when revising, is it the end of the world? Can I just make up for it in other areas? Dwi still stand a chance of passing if there are certain topics I've neglected?
Sometimes it is better to admit that something is not your thing and to focus on picking up marks elsewhere.
However algebra pops up throughout the paper and is often intergrated into other topics/questions so your best bet would be to ask for help
(edited 3 years ago)
so it entirely depends on what comes up in the paper. try asking your teacher (not for what is in the paper but what you should do and if he thinks it would be a bad idea skilling the topic) would be my suggestion.
If you are really strong on everything else then dropping the max of 10 marks probably wont matter
Hi! I'm a maths and further maths alevel student who got an 8 in their higher maths 'GCSE' paper last year so feel free to PM me with any questions.

I would advise skipping the questions you can't do at first and then come back to them so you can hopefully pick marks up on them later. Also, ask someone for help now so that you can hopefully understand the content. This will make the exam seem easier and help you get a better mark.
Reply 4
Original post by lyonbabe
I'm doing GCSE maths and my final grade will be decided by my maths teacher.
The problem I'm having right now is that the deeper into algebra we go, the less I understand. More specifically quadratic graphs. Everything else in algebra I am scraping by on though, so if I sit the mock exam and don't know anything about quadratic graphs because I didn't understand that when revising, is it the end of the world? Can I just make up for it in other areas? Dwi still stand a chance of passing if there are certain topics I've neglected?

Hey mate, don't worry. You still have plenty of time to revise. Remember, you get what you give. It isn't the end of the world, no matter how hard you may think it is right now and believe me, I was in your situation not too long ago.

I am sorry to say that algebra is pretty damn important in maths and as you've found out, especially as you delve into more complex topics. It'd be hard to catch up on marks in other areas as you see components of algebra in other topics. HOWEVER, do not stress. It is also quite easy to catch up on. I highly recommend that you tell your teacher that you've identified weak areas and you would like either extra work or extra sessions on the topic. Considering the fact that your grades are being given by your teachers if they see that you are putting in more and more work, you have a higher chance of receiving a higher grade. Some may call that cheesing the system, I call it opportunistic.

Hopefully this helps, feel free to PM me if you have any maths questions and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.
Reply 5
Original post by oliviapig
so it entirely depends on what comes up in the paper. try asking your teacher (not for what is in the paper but what you should do and if he thinks it would be a bad idea skilling the topic) would be my suggestion.
If you are really strong on everything else then dropping the max of 10 marks probably wont matter

Honestly my teacher is useless. Every time I email her for help with specific questions and what I've done to try and solve them (classes are now online) she ignores my email. I know she's ignoring them because when I email her to tell her I'll be absent, she responds right away. I'm kind of just over it. I have also tried to utilised online sources as much as I can, I'm just trying to get through this without my teacher at this point.
Honestly my teacher is useless. Every time I email her for help with specific questions and what I've done to try and solve them (classes are now online) she ignores my email. I know she's ignoring them because when I email her to tell her I'll be absent, she responds right away. I'm kind of just over it. I have also tried to utilised online sources as much as I can, I'm just trying to get through this without my teacher at this point.

What are you finding difficult about quadratic graphs?
I'm pretty sure that we can help you understand this if you post a question that you have found difficult.

that's annoying. Is there someone above her who you could speak to? or do you have a form tutor that does register at the beginning of the day, would they be able to get a different maths teacher to help or you actual one to do something? I used the CGP maths revision guide and they were really useful. Make sure you get the one that is specific to your exam board as they all differ and can have some aspects of maths in some books and not others.

Quick Reply

Latest