The Student Room Group

study help

I'm never satisfied with my notes, I feel like I won't remember and I'm just wasting my time. Why do I feel like this and what should I do?
Reply 1
If I may ask, what level are you currently studying at? When you say 'never satisfied', what do you mean? The aesthetics of your notes?
Reply 2
Original post by Ahus23
If I may ask, what level are you currently studying at? When you say 'never satisfied', what do you mean? The aesthetics of your notes?

I'm currently second year at uni, and when I say never satisfied. I feel like they aren't going to help me, that they're not efficient, etc. That I won't remember just because I wrote it there.
Reply 3
Original post by ameroberts
I'm currently second year at uni, and when I say never satisfied. I feel like they aren't going to help me, that they're not efficient, etc. That I won't remember just because I wrote it there.

Whilst at university, I questioned the same thing - whether I'd remember all my notes for the exam. The best way to test this is to do practice papers. You'd be very surprised on how much you actually remember. A lot more than you think! Try do some questions on the topics you've made notes on and see how you feel. I think go from there. Have faith in your memory/understanding.
Original post by ameroberts
I'm never satisfied with my notes, I feel like I won't remember and I'm just wasting my time. Why do I feel like this and what should I do?

Hi,
I struggled for a while with the feeling that I was just writing notes for the sake of it. But, I’ve changed my revision system to creating Mindmaps. So, I’ll just make a Mindmap of key information (say Biology, it’ll be the process of respiration). But, don’t randomly dot it around the page. A key part of the memorisation process for me is having it strategically written on the page in a flow diagram, so when I’m trying to recall information, I remember where each point was written on the page - helping me to visual and remember it. Then, everyday I’ll memorise a new mindmap page, whilst revisiting and reciting the previous ones (almost like memorising a script for a play). Once I’ve finished a module, I’ll have tons of Mindmaps memorised which i can recite from memory. Then, when it comes to revision, I find I can remember the information a lot easier because I spent so much time revisiting the same Mind-maps.
Although, it’s super easy to fall into the trap of just memorising the concepts and not understanding it, so do practise essays/ past papers not using your notes, to see what you need to focus more revision on!
Hope this helps! <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending