Is taking both Sociology and Psychology at A-level a bad idea??

Watch
username5669572
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Is it a bad idea to study both Sociology and psychology at A-level. I have heard mixed thoughts from a few people that I have asked, some say only take one as the subjects are too similar (they also say I should take Psychology as it is better respected) others say that it is fine to take both. Your thoughts???
(My other A-level I want to do is Business)
Starsong
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If both interest you and will help towards your longer term goals then I don’t see why you shouldn’t do both! I think there would definitely be some overlap between them but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

If you’re planning on going to uni and know what you’d like to study maybe check out the entry requirements of a few places, most will count Psychology as a science which some courses require.
Last edited by Starsong; 4 months ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Idk_Will)
Is it a bad idea to study both Sociology and psychology at A-level. I have heard mixed thoughts from a few people that I have asked, some say only take one as the subjects are too similar (they also say I should take Psychology as it is better respected) others say that it is fine to take both. Your thoughts???
Hi!

It depends on whether you want to go to university, and what course you want to do, or what career. Both courses are respected, and are essay subjects which fit nicely with Business as a less essay-centred course. I took Sociology, and found it really interesting (and quite easy), some friends took Psychology, found it really interesting but quite difficult! Looking back, I probably would have taken Psychology as well, as I think they go together nicely without overlap, as the theories and fundamentals behind the courses are completely different.
With psychology, you're looking at the mind and the brain, and although it may cover similar themes as sociology, sociology is a lot more about theory, 'everyday' instances that can be explained in the eyes of race/class/politics/gender/etc.

Sophie - UoP Rep
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Idk_Will
Hello! They are two good subjects to do together, and I did both. It is not unusual for a student to fall under the spell of one of them and feel a bit of friction towards the other (for instance I got an A for Sociology, and a D for Psychology as at the time it wasn't my thing - I'm now doing my Masters in it).

It is worth remembering that anyone who does an Access to HE Social Science pathway, which is the same level as A levels, will be doing a mix of Sociology, Psychology, and Criminology and the very vast majority manage it OK (I teach on a social sciences pathway)

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi,

I am a current Sociology student at the University of Bath and for my A Levels I took Sociology, Psychology and Geography.

I personally found Sociology and Psychology complimented each other really well, as they are both Social Sciences. Sociology focuses more on society at large looking at institutions such as education and religion and Psychology focuses more on an individual's behaviour and why they act the way they do.

Sociology and Psychology also opens up lots of options for higher education and careers. Here at Bath we offer a placement year where you get the opportunity to undertake work experience, with Psychology and Sociology students working at places including Great Ormond Street Hospital, the National Crime Agency, Inspectorate of Prisons, Walt Disney, Ipsos MORI and the Civil Service.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask

Isobel (A Final Year Sociology Student)
marja1797
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi!

I took A Level Psychology, Sociology and Media Studies and achieved A*A*A*, got 5 offers for Business Studies and am now a 4th year Business Management student at university of Bath. Taking both psych and soc was really good for uni prep, as lots of modules cover issues that fall into these subjects
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.92%
Uncertainty around my education (92)
11.34%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
10.23%
Lack of purpose or motivation (103)
12.7%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.55%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (89)
10.97%
Financial worries (56)
6.91%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.56%
Exposure to negative news/social media (51)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.08%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (77)
9.49%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (65)
8.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise