The Student Room Group

Considering Dropping out of MRes

Hi,

I'm an intercalating med student doing an MRes. It's not in the speciality I think I want to go into because at the time of applying I wasn't sure on what I wanted to do but thought getting research experience and seeing if I liked it would be a good experience. Fast forward to now and I now know I really do not like research! I struggled with the modules, I just didn't enjoy them, this was compounded by the fact they were all done from home and the majority of content was not assessed as everything was coursework. I am the kind of person who does best in exams rather than essays.
I am now in the project and similarly feel demotivated working from home, as I know everyone is at the moment! I just feel like I don't know what I'm doing, I hate the constant emailing of people to get access to resources and as I am a medic I have no experience with writing a dissertation, the essays I wrote in semester 1 were the first ones I've ever written at university. I am also doing all my work from my bedroom and feel I can't switch off as there is no separation between uni and relax time and it means I just stress even when I should be relaxing and forgetting about the project.
I really just don't want to continue, I'm hating every minute, massively stressed, and I know that next year I'll be back in my final year of medicine and so the whole thing feels a bit pointless. In the application for your first jobs as a doctor there is also no difference in points between a pass at MRes and a distinction, so I am not motivated to do well. Is there anyone else who has dropped out of an MRes or an intercalated degree? Or anyone else who has struggled with an MRes and still passed?
Original post by Ginger_Gymnast92
Hi,

I'm an intercalating med student doing an MRes. It's not in the speciality I think I want to go into because at the time of applying I wasn't sure on what I wanted to do but thought getting research experience and seeing if I liked it would be a good experience. Fast forward to now and I now know I really do not like research! I struggled with the modules, I just didn't enjoy them, this was compounded by the fact they were all done from home and the majority of content was not assessed as everything was coursework. I am the kind of person who does best in exams rather than essays.
I am now in the project and similarly feel demotivated working from home, as I know everyone is at the moment! I just feel like I don't know what I'm doing, I hate the constant emailing of people to get access to resources and as I am a medic I have no experience with writing a dissertation, the essays I wrote in semester 1 were the first ones I've ever written at university. I am also doing all my work from my bedroom and feel I can't switch off as there is no separation between uni and relax time and it means I just stress even when I should be relaxing and forgetting about the project.
I really just don't want to continue, I'm hating every minute, massively stressed, and I know that next year I'll be back in my final year of medicine and so the whole thing feels a bit pointless. In the application for your first jobs as a doctor there is also no difference in points between a pass at MRes and a distinction, so I am not motivated to do well. Is there anyone else who has dropped out of an MRes or an intercalated degree? Or anyone else who has struggled with an MRes and still passed?

Hi @Ginger_Gymnast92

I'm sorry you're not enjoying your MRes. You don't mention whether you've discussed how you feel with anyone from your university but, if not, I would strongly recommend reaching out to a tutor, supervisor, peer representative, and/or member of the university support services.

Feeling overwhelmed is, I think, quite common when you move up to postgraduate study, especially if you're moving to a research programme following a more practical-based undergraduate degree. Add to that the fact that you're studying remotely and in the middle of a global pandemic, and it is completely understandable that you're feeling stressed - and important that you seek support for that before you burn out.

Your university should be able to offer support with quite a few of your concerns - most universities have an Academic Support/Study Skills team who work with both undergraduates and postgraduates and can assist with essay/project writing skills, organising your research/workload etc. Your university can also signpost to wellbeing and other support services. Plus it's really helpful if your tutors know that you're struggling as they can check in with you more frequently and ensure that you're getting the support you need from them. A lot of students (especially postgraduates) feel that they'll be judged as a failure if they reach out for help but, having been there myself, trust me when I say that you won't be the only one feeling like this and talking about it really can help.

All of that said, if you really don't like the core elements of programme, there is no shame in recognising that and moving on. Sometimes we learn as much from experiences that didn't pan out as we'd hoped as from all those 'successes' that we're taught to value, and recognising why something isn't for you and when to move on from it is a valuable skill.

I'd still recommend talking it through with some of your tutors or supervisors before making any quick decisions though - it sounds as if you are feeling a lot of stress and pressure at the moment and those conditions rarely leave us with much mental space for good decision making. You might also find the support and resources at Student Minds helpful (https://www.studentminds.org.uk/), and I'd also recommend reaching out to any peer support available at your university (course reps or the Students Union) as discussing how you feel with other postgraduates can be really helpful.

Hope that helps.

Amy Louise :smile:
Hi,

I haven't had exactly the same circumstances as you, but I completely empathise with your situation. I'm currently embarking on my MSc and, although the content is wonderful, my personal circumstances haven't let me engage or participate much at all this academic year. I'm in the middle of exams and really struggling as a result, as it's the first time I'm learning the content whilst others are revising for the 3rd or 4th time. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but does anyone know how it works to defer exams for your intercalated degree whilst being a medical student? If I defer my exams, they go to the next academic year when I'll be back in Medicine. I'm not sure if medical schools allow you to undertake exams for another course while studying Medicine, even if it is just the exam and not the entire course?

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending