Sclaremonths
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi,
I was attempting this test paper. I got this question wrong but I don't understand the maths of the mark scheme could someone help explain it to me?
3. The table below contains some mean bond enthalpy data.

Bond H––H C––C C=C N≡N N––H
Mean bond enthalpy / kJ mol–1 436 348 612 944 388

(a) (i) Write an equation for the formation of one mole of ammonia, NH3, from its elements.
.............................................................................................................
(ii) Use data from the table above to calculate a value for the enthalpy of formation of ammonia.
.............................................................................................................
(4)
(b) Use the following equation and data from the table above to calculate a value for the C–H bond enthalpy in ethane.

......................................................................................................................
......................................................................................................................
(3)
(Total 7 marks)

Markscheme:

(a) (i) Write an equation for the formation of one mole of ammonia, NH3, from its elements.
(ii) Use data from the table above to calculate a value for the enthalpy of formation of ammonia.
(4)
(b) Use the following equation and data from the table above to calculate a value for the C–H bond enthalpy in ethane.

(3)
(Total 7 marks)

Also, if the data given to you is the mean bond enthalpy but it asks you to work out the enthalpy of formation do you use products- reactants or bonds broken - bonds formed
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Sclaremonths)
Hi,
I was attempting this test paper. I got this question wrong but I don't understand the maths of the mark scheme could someone help explain it to me?

(4)

(3)
(Total 7 marks)

Markscheme:

(4)

(3)
(Total 7 marks)

Also, if the data given to you is the mean bond enthalpy but it asks you to work out the enthalpy of formation do you use products- reactants or bonds broken - bonds formed
Check out this video on Hess' law:

mdherbert
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Sclaremonths)
Hi,

(4)

(3)
(Total 7 marks)

Markscheme:

(4)

(3)
(Total 7 marks)

Once you have the balanced equation: 2H2(g) + N2(g) --> 2NH3(g) you use the bonds broken - bonds made. The final answer needs to be for one mole of ammonia though so you will need to half the result you get as the equation forms 2 moles.
Nay k
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
for enthalpy change you do products - reactants
and for energy change you do bonds broken- bonds made
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (14)
25%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (35)
62.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads