The Student Room Group

CIFAS

Hey! Would anyone be able to help me?

I’m looking to start uni in 2022 but I have CIFAS markers, is there any way I can get them removed or will I still be able to get the maintenance and course loans from student finance with the markers?

Any help to get these removed will be extremely appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Tuition fees can be paid if you have A marker as the funds go straight to the institution. Maintenance loan requires a UK bank account in your name.

Do you have a bank account in your name?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ac1dic_blood

I’m looking to start uni in 2022 but I have CIFAS markers, is there any way I can get them removed or will I still be able to get the maintenance and course loans from student finance with the markers?

What markers?
Original post by RedGiant
What markers?

It just says on the report misuse of facility, basically what happened was I was a complete idiot and got involved with one of those Snapchat money schemes
It just says on the report misuse of facility, basically what happened was I was a complete idiot and got involved with one of those Snapchat money schemes

In that case you can’t get the marker removed because it was applied legitimately. It’ll be in place for 6 years.

If you look at other CIFAS threads on TSR you’ll find other suggested banks that you can try.

I get the impression that it’ll only be ones that charge high fees that will want to risk taking you on board. Even Monzo check CIFAS now but there’s others out there.
Original post by GabiAbi84
Tuition fees can be paid if you have A marker as the funds go straight to the institution. Maintenance loan requires a UK bank account in your name.

Do you have a bank account in your name?

No I don’t have a bank account in my name atm, when I spoke to Barclays about it and explained the situation the person on the phone said it sounded as if I was a victim because I tried to get out of it but the guy who was doing it threatened me and my families lives, he had my address as well so he knew where I lived
Original post by Admit-One
In that case you can’t get the marker removed because it was applied legitimately. It’ll be in place for 6 years.

If you look at other CIFAS threads on TSR you’ll find other suggested banks that you can try.

I get the impression that it’ll only be ones that charge high fees that will want to risk taking you on board. Even Monzo check CIFAS now but there’s others out there.

Do you know of any accounts where I’ll be accepted? I tried to get out of it but the person behind it threatened me and my family at the time
I don’t think SFE check for CIFCAS markers. If you don’t have a UK bank account you won’t be able to get the maintenance loan. How much did the Snapchat fraudsters even pay you?
Original post by Student100020
I don’t think SFE check for CIFCAS markers. If you don’t have a UK bank account you won’t be able to get the maintenance loan. How much did the Snapchat fraudsters even pay you?

They didn’t pay me anything, everything was stopped and they finally left me alone but I still have the markers, I have proof of me asking them to leave me alone and when I spoke to the police about the situation they also said it sounded as if I was a victim, I haven’t came here for a lecture I just need some advice that’s all
Reply 9

Just pay off the CIFAS markers.
Reply 10
Do you know of any accounts where I’ll be accepted? I tried to get out of it but the person behind it threatened me and my family at the time

ICICI should accept you.
Original post by Quady

Pretty sure you can’t do that
I wasn’t complicit, I tried to get out of it multiple times but the guy knew where I lived
Original post by Quady
ICICI should accept you.

Thankyou!
Reply 14
Pretty sure you can’t do that

Pretty sure you've not asked CIFAS for full/final settlement....
Original post by Quady
Pretty sure you've not asked CIFAS for full/final settlement....

I don’t know what that is
Original post by Quady

CIFAS isn't like ChexSystems, you can't pay to remove.
Original post by RedGiant
CIFAS isn't like ChexSystems, you can't pay to remove.

That’s what I thought
CIFAS isn’t a marker for bad debt. It’s a warning to other lenders that the individual is a potential risk. If you could pay it off and just open another account elsewhere it wouldn’t be fit for purpose.
They didn’t pay me anything, everything was stopped and they finally left me alone but I still have the markers, I have proof of me asking them to leave me alone and when I spoke to the police about the situation they also said it sounded as if I was a victim, I haven’t came here for a lecture I just need some advice that’s all

Well the real victim really isn’t you, it the person (most likely vulnerable) who was defrauded by criminals you enabled to do so. You must of known your card details were being used for crime. SFE don’t do background checks such as credit or CIFCAS

Quick Reply

Latest