The Student Room Group

how do I get my grades better? should I retake year 12?

in in year 12 and I recently got BDE in biology, geography and business ( in that order) we have got our end of year tests in 4 months and im worried if I don't get at least BBB/BBC/BCC then I will need to resit year 12, this will mean moving sixth forms which could be worse but not ideal. I understand the content I just find it hard to write it in can exam, it didn't help the exam was typed on a computer. is anyone in the same situation as me? or any advice on what to do to get my grades up?
I can't say much about biology, but I have studied the other A Levels. It's a speculation, but I take it you're being marked down because of your essay answers. If so, it will really help if you understood more about what they look for in essay answers and how they want them written.

I had a similiar problem in geography and business studies when I first started. I went and got exam practice guides and compared A grade and C grade answers with a fine toothcomb. It has turned my Us in business studies to almost full marks in a number of modules. It has made at least a grade's difference in geography.

After that, you would probably want to focus more on what they specifically want in the mark scheme to get the As and A*s.

Human Geography and Business Studies require you to think differently and approach their answers differently compared to the sciences, which I too find a lot more straightforward. The skills required will also be different because of this. Understanding the material alone is not enough.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I can't say much about biology, but I have studied the other A Levels. It's a speculation, but I take it you're being marked down because of your essay answers. If so, it will really help if you understood more about what they look for in essay answers and how they want them written.

I had a similiar problem in geography and business studies when I first started. I went and got exam practice guides and compared A grade and C grade answers with a fine toothcomb. It has turned my Us in business studies to almost full marks in a number of modules. It has made at least a grade's difference in geography.

After that, you would probably want to focus more on what they specifically want in the mark scheme to get the As and A*s.

Human Geography and Business Studies require you to think differently and approach their answers differently compared to the sciences, which I too find a lot more straightforward. The skills required will also be different because of this. Understanding the material alone is not enough.

wow! thanks, I mean I agree the business and geography answers you have to write so differently. what made your essays better and change Us into As? I really need at least a C/B for the uni courses. do you have any structures which his good or ways of learning what's required? thanks so much
Original post by Miller15100
wow! thanks, I mean I agree the business and geography answers you have to write so differently. what made your essays better and change Us into As? I really need at least a C/B for the uni courses. do you have any structures which his good or ways of learning what's required? thanks so much

I think the main thing for business studies was that I analysed a lot more and used critical thinking in my answers (the sort where you throw in rhetorical questions implicitly or explicitly). I threw in my opinions after a very long detailed look into the particular question at hand, and comment how the outlook of the situation can affect the company strategically.

For geography, I think it was the depth of analysis. If I had known about the critical thinking, I may have included it in human geography as well.

Critical thinking is essential to get the high marks even at university level for social sciences.

If you get the opportunity, look up exam practice guides (even if they're the old Lett's exam practice guides that give you a comparison of A and C grade answers) for a comparison. I think it's essential you get this through the style of writing they use.

My question is: if you do manage to get substantially higher grades, will you change your uni course choices?
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
I think the main thing for business studies was that I analysed a lot more and used critical thinking in my answers (the sort where you throw in rhetorical questions implicitly or explicitly). I threw in my opinions after a very long detailed look into the particular question at hand, and comment how the outlook of the situation can affect the company strategically.

For geography, I think it was the depth of analysis. If I had known about the critical thinking, I may have included it in human geography as well.

Critical thinking is essential to get the high marks even at university level for social sciences.

If you get the opportunity, look up exam practice guides (even if they're the old Lett's exam practice guides that give you a comparison of A and C grade answers) for a comparison. I think it's essential you get this through the style of writing they use.

My question is: if you do manage to get substantially higher grades, will you change your uni course choices?

perfect, thanks so much! if I get higher grades it would may change my course slightly but it would definitely change the uni I would go to

Quick Reply

Latest