The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Which college should I pick at UOY?

I'm hopefully going to UOY in September/October and I was just wondering how I should pick the best college for me? I know nothing about them!
I'm applying for archaeology if that helps :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm hopefully going to UOY in September/October and I was just wondering how I should pick the best college for me? I know nothing about them!
I'm applying for archaeology if that helps :smile:

So the main advice I give for choosing colleges is to choose based on what accommodation you want - please please ignore any ‘college stereotypes’ because these aren’t true!

In brief summary:

There are 3 colleges on the East campus (Constantine, Langwith, Goodricke). These are much newer and generally nicer I’d say, but also broadly more expensive.

There’s then 5 colleges on the West campus, which is the main campus (Derwent, James, Alcuin, Vanbrugh and Halifax). These are generally in original buildings so are a bit older, although are being renovated.

Things to consider are
- self catered or catered? Do you want your breakfast and dinner sorted for you (Mon-Fri) or would you like to cook for yourself?
- en-suite or shared bathroom? Are you comfortable sharing bathrooms or would you like your own shower and toilet?
- East or West campus? As I say, East is newer but West is the main campus, although there is still plenty to do on East. As a note, there’s a free bus between the two which is about 10 mins and the walk is only about 25 mins so don’t over stress about this.
- how much do you want to spend? Catered and ensuite accommodations are going to be more expensive, so would you rather spend your money on this or other things?

As I say, this is only a brief overview. More info can be found here: https://www.york.ac.uk/study/accommodation/undergraduate/ and I’m happy to try and answer any more specific questions you may have :smile:
University of York
York

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending