The Student Room Group

not enjoying uni

hi, i am now in the second semester of first year and im currently studying mechanical engineering. i went to a uni away from home and now i dont know whether that was a smart decision. my parents were adament that i shouldnt go to the closest uni to where i live.
i am very close with my flatmates so the social aspect of halls isnt the issue especially during covid and ive made friends with people outside of my flat. i have thoughts of dropping out but dont want to disappoint them as we have already agreed that we will live together next year in a privately rented flat.
my course i am so unmotivated with and i cannot see myself even remotely working in engineering when im graduated but my parents are self employed and i think i will end up going into the family business. so i think im wasting my time doing this course.
i dont know whether i should change course within my uni into something that will actually help me in future even though nothing right now interests me or drop out and reapply to uni closer to home. i call home every day and visit home once a month so i have taken all the advice for being homesick but every time im home i dont want to leave and constantly think that i missed out on not going to uni closer to home as everything is so much handier even though at the same time im glad im away from everyone that i grew up with.

has anyone had this experience or close to it and any advice at all would be welcomed on what i can do or change?
A lot of people who study engineering don't go into engineering as a career - they are sought after because of their maths abilities. I know engineers who got jobs in banks.

If you are going to go into the family business after uni then why not swap to a business studies course - at least then you will be learning about topics like marketing and operations management and finance and accounting - all needed by small businesses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending