The Student Room Group

University Life

Hi! I wanted to ask what is the routine of a typical university student in london (KCL, Lse, etc)? Try answering these-
About what time do the classes start and end?
How many breaks do we get in between lectures? Can we move out of the university between these breaks?
What is the routine after all classes and lectures are over?
How long are the summer and winter breaks?

Anything further is also welcome.😊
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I wanted to ask what is the routine of a typical university student in london (KCL, Lse, etc)? Try answering these-
How many breaks do we get in between lectures? Can we move out of the university between these breaks?

Cant speak specifically for Kings or LSE but I think I can give a rough guide.

Week structure will vary sciences tend to have more contact hours, humanities far less (but require more reading time). You would likely have 10-30 hours of contact time the average is probably about 17. Probably mostly consisting of letures but also tutorials & seminars.

Breaks between lectures, their wont be set breaks you just get a schedule you just organise your schedule around this. Some days its easy other days will be high contact time and it will be much harder to find time. Most universities operate from 9am-6pm.

You can move out whenever you want, most students dont live in university accommodation the whole time (its common to for first year, but to then move out in later years). You can stay go whenever you like, your academic & personal lives are complete separate.

Most university years are structured similarly:
teaching & coursework October-mid December. Exams in January.
Teaching & coursework end of Jan to MayThen Exams May/June.
(Typically breaks at XMAS & Easter will be roughly 3 weeks, but you will likely need to spend time revising for exams and finishing off coursework in these windows).

Summers are long Mid-June to late September. This is because most internships last 3 months, so you can go get a job/experience in the summers.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Cant speak specifically for Kings or LSE but I think I can give a rough guide.

Week structure will vary sciences tend to have more contact hours, humanities far less (but require more reading time). You would likely have 10-30 hours of contact time the average is probably about 17. Probably mostly consisting of letures but also tutorials & seminars.

Breaks between lectures, their wont be set breaks you just get a schedule you just organise your schedule around this. Some days its easy other days will be high contact time and it will be much harder to find time. Most universities operate from 9am-6pm.

You can move out whenever you want, most students dont live in university accommodation the whole time (its common to for first year, but to then move out in later years). You can stay go whenever you like, your academic & personal lives are complete separate.

Most university years are structured similarly:
teaching & coursework October-mid December. Exams in January.
Teaching & coursework end of Jan to MayThen Exams May/June.
(Typically breaks at XMAS & Easter will be roughly 3 weeks, but you will likely need to spend time revising for exams and finishing off coursework in these windows).

Summers are long Mid-June to late September. This is because most internships last 3 months, so you can go get a job/experience in the summers.

Thanks! It was really helpful.
Also, can you do a rough breakdown of the 9am-6pm contact time. I mean, do we have to attend college for these 9 hours daily? and what is the approx. no of lecture hours held daily?
Reply 3

Anyone else who would like to add is definitely welcome.

Hi there!

I can't personally talk for Kings or LSE but I currently attend Pearson Business School in London studying Business Management with Marketing.

The typical day can vary from what course you are studying. For example, for me I have 3 seminars a week and can do my lectures in my own time as they are pre-recorded allowing me to organise the structure of my day. The classes can range from starting in the morning or afternoon.

Before/after my seminars I love to meet up with my friends to study together at coffee shops, the social side of studying in London is really fun. Its also common for me to have to meet up/do calls for group projects a lot too.

Hope this helps with your queriers about what a typical routine is like for a London student!
Also, can you do a rough breakdown of the 9am-6pm contact time. I mean, do we have to attend college for these 9 hours daily? and what is the approx. no of lecture hours held daily?

No, it will be likely that they can schedule lectures/seminars/tutorials in this window however you will likely only have certain hours each day. You may get heavy days and you may get light days. What & where you go outside of contact time is entirely your choice.

Also you may find you have periods of intensity with coursework where in addition to your contact hours you are spending lots of times at university to get coursework done, most unis keep a library open 24 hours so students can get work done near deadlines, but you'll have other times with only a minimal amount of work (particularly at the start of semesters).

You only have to attend when you have classes (lectures or seminars). Your classes can take place any time between 9am and 6pm generally - some unis have slightly different hours. When you have a gap between classes you can do what you want. You don't have to stay on campus. You can go home, go to a cafe, go to the library, whatever you want.

How many classes you have each day varies. I have 15 hours a week, but they're split between Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. I have Wednesdays and Fridays free. In previous years I also had 15-17 hours, but split over 5 days. Different courses have different numbers of hours.

Hi there!

I can't personally talk for Kings or LSE but I currently attend Pearson Business School in London studying Business Management with Marketing.

The typical day can vary from what course you are studying. For example, for me I have 3 seminars a week and can do my lectures in my own time as they are pre-recorded allowing me to organise the structure of my day. The classes can range from starting in the morning or afternoon.

Before/after my seminars I love to meet up with my friends to study together at coffee shops, the social side of studying in London is really fun. Its also common for me to have to meet up/do calls for group projects a lot too.

Hope this helps with your queriers about what a typical routine is like for a London student!
Reply 8
Also, if suppose we have our brother's/sister's wedding or some similar function, can we get a one month or two month leave to visit our home country(India in my case). If yes, what about the lectures/seminars that we will miss during that period?
Reply 9
Also, if suppose we have our brother's/sister's wedding or some similar function, can we get a one month or two month leave to visit our home country(India in my case). If yes, what about the lectures/seminars that we will miss during that period?

Anyone, any idea?

No, (obviously) not.

You could probably manage a couple days off & then catchup on recorded lectures but a month or two, your taking the piss.

They have set breaks in the semesters a couple weeks at XMas & easter and a summer break (normally for internships) but you are expected to use these for any holidays/similar.
Original post by mnot
No, (obviously) not.

You could probably manage a couple days off & then catchup on recorded lectures but a month or two, your taking the piss.

They have set breaks in the semesters a couple weeks at XMas & easter and a summer break (normally for internships) but you are expected to use these for any holidays/similar.

Can't we like take a one month off in february and then complete that coursework by working an extra month during the summer holidays?
Can't we like take a one month off in february and then complete that coursework by working an extra month during the summer holidays?

No, the course has a set structure with fixed deadlines for everyone, of course you can’t just take a month off in the middle of term.

No. Everyone has the same deadlines, lectures only happen during the semester, and lecturers will be busy with other things like research projects during the summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending