Desperately need helping picking GCSE options

Watch
vivinotta
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. I have to choose my GCSE options by the 26th of March (I believe). I'm really stuck but I've narrowed it down to a selection of subjects and was wondering if any of you guys could give your opinions on a good combination and/or if you took it/are taking it your opinion and is it worth it.

I get 9 options (10 if you get chosen for stats or another one but I'm second set maths so idk whether I'd get that). I have to do English Lit, English Lang and Maths. I've decided to do triple science for definite so I have 3 spaces left.

The subjects I have sort of narrowed it down to (out of like 20 subjects) are:
-AQA History
-OCR Business
-BTEC Health and Social Care
-AQA Music
-AQA Religious Studies
-AQA Art Graphic Design
-OCR Computer Science

I know that's quite a few options but I wanted to include the exam boards so if anyone has taken it they can say whether it's worth it. If anyone can suggest a combination of 3 I would be SO grateful as I am so stuck.

Just as a note, is it best to stick to one subject that is more of an arty type and have two other ones? Like I was thinking of doing one of Health & Social Care, Art Graphic Design or Music but not all of them.

As far as it goes my teachers have said that I'd be aiming for top grades in all of them if I carry on working the way I do and I enjoy most of them equally so I'm sort of stuck there.

If you've got this far, thank you so much for reading!
Jordan07
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by vivinotta)
Hi. I have to choose my GCSE options by the 26th of March (I believe). I'm really stuck but I've narrowed it down to a selection of subjects and was wondering if any of you guys could give your opinions on a good combination and/or if you took it/are taking it your opinion and is it worth it.

I get 9 options (10 if you get chosen for stats or another one but I'm second set maths so idk whether I'd get that). I have to do English Lit, English Lang and Maths. I've decided to do triple science for definite so I have 3 spaces left.

-AQA History
-OCR Business
-AQA Music
-AQA Religious Studies
-AQA Art Graphic Design
-OCR Computer Science

I know that's quite a few options but I wanted to include the exam boards so if anyone has taken it they can say whether it's worth it. If anyone can suggest a combination of 3 I would be SO grateful as I am so stuck.

Just as a note, is it best to stick to one subject that is more of an arty type and have two other ones? Like I was thinking of doing one of Health & Social Care, Art Graphic Design or Music but not all of them.

As far as it goes my teachers have said that I'd be aiming for top grades in all of them if I carry on working the way I do and I enjoy most of them equally so I'm sort of stuck there.

I’m choosing my GCSEs at the moment, too! You should pick what you’d enjoy most. Speak to the teachers and get more information about them! At the end of the day, a GCSE is a GCSE, there is no wrong decision or bad GCSE. Have fun with it and choose the ones you like the sound of most! Good luck with it all and I hope I have helped.
vivinotta
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jordan07)
I’m choosing my GCSEs at the moment, too! You should pick what you’d enjoy most. Speak to the teachers and get more information about them! At the end of the day, a GCSE is a GCSE, there is no wrong decision or bad GCSE. Have fun with it and choose the ones you like the sound of most! Good luck with it all and I hope I have helped.
Thank you! I really don't have a clue with my GCSE options yet but I hope yours go well!
mayasupportBLM
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jordan07)
This has even helped me so thanks,im picking mine to and apart from the basics(english,math&science) ive only got down to picking health and social care im still so stuckkk!!Good luck with everything tho
litan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do not stress about picking your GCSEs, I struggled as well, having been living in America/Japan most of my life, where they take a broader approach. I actually hated the fact that I had to choose only 4 subjects so much that, in retaliation, I took music, drama, French and geography which were all subjects I had never learned before, except for geography, even though the teachers were trying to push me towards separate science, history, etc. Now, for A-Level I am taking biology, chemistry and maths, and hold an offer for Human Sciences at UCL. GCSEs really don't matter, and I had SO much fun with the subjects I took. Please go for subjects you like, and all the teachers will try to convince you to take their subject, so ultimately, listen to yourself. As long as you like the subjects, you can push yourself to study more and get good grades, and it will be more rewarding. I hope this helped, try not to stress about it too much!
Last edited by litan; 1 month ago
Kabzzzy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly, I would not overcomplicate it. Just pick the subjects you enjoy the most. Naturally, it'll be a lot easier for you to get higher grades in subjects you're interested in. As long as Maths, English and the core Sciences are covered, do what you want. Save the stressing for when you choose your A-levels (or IB) as those will directly impact University courses.
AveriNova
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

-AQA History
-OCR Business
-AQA Music
-AQA Religious Studies
-AQA Art Graphic Design
-OCR Computer Science

I recommend Business and Religious studies definitely as they're easy memorisation subjects, probably some of the easiest GCSEs you could take. I took both, same boards and got a 7 in Business and an 8 in RS with a medium amount of revision

For the third I haven't taken any of the other subjects but I would either recommend the Btec as that will be mostly coursework so less pressure for exam season or graphic design it just seems fun lol
vivinotta
Rep:
?
(Original post by AveriNova)
I recommend Business and Religious studies definitely as they're easy memorisation subjects, probably some of the easiest GCSEs you could take. I took both, same boards and got a 7 in Business and an 8 in RS with a medium amount of revision

For the third I haven't taken any of the other subjects but I would either recommend the Btec as that will be mostly coursework so less pressure for exam season or graphic design it just seems fun lol
Hi, thanks for the advice! I'm probably doing Business due to what I've heard about it. As much as I would like to do RS and Business I'm pretty sure they don't fit in my option columns :/
VeritySleeps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can't comment on the others but I wouldn't recommend doing a GCSE in music. You probably won't learn as much as you'd hope and so many people take it just for a "free" period, it becomes pointless
vivinotta
Rep:
?
(Original post by litan)
Do not stress about picking your GCSEs, I struggled as well, having been living in America/Japan most of my life, where they take a broader approach. I actually hated the fact that I had to choose only 4 subjects so much that, in retaliation, I took music, drama, French and geography which were all subjects I had never learned before, except for geography, even though the teachers were trying to push me towards separate science, history, etc. Now, for A-Level I am taking biology, chemistry and maths, and hold an offer for Human Sciences at UCL. GCSEs really don't matter, and I had SO much fun with the subjects I took. Please go for subjects you like, and all the teachers will try to convince you to take their subject, so ultimately, listen to yourself. As long as you like the subjects, you can push yourself to study more and get good grades, and it will be more rewarding. I hope this helped, try not to stress about it too much!
Right thanks for the advice. Also congrats on your UCL offer
vivinotta
Rep:
?
(Original post by VeritySleeps)
Can't comment on the others but I wouldn't recommend doing a GCSE in music. You probably won't learn as much as you'd hope and so many people take it just for a "free" period, it becomes pointless
Oh alright, I sort of get why that's an issue. My school is really strict on who they accept onto the music course though so I really don't know whether its worth doing. Thanks for giving me the advice!
zlan
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

-AQA History
-OCR Business
-AQA Music
-AQA Religious Studies
-AQA Art Graphic Design
-OCR Computer Science

I'm going to be blatantly honest do what's easy even if you don't necessarily enjoy it
At GCSE doesn't really matter what you choose as long as you get a 6 or above in maths english and sciences you can pick any subject at college
Personally took OCR computer science pretty easy to self learn
I'd stay away from history if you don't like essay based subjects and it's very subjective to the marker talking 3 grades in some circumstances
Try for a language if possible they're fun and anything above a 5 looks good also easy to pass
I'd recommend business since my friends did it and it's easy to get a distinction heavily coursework based so you don't have to stress on the day
Last edited by zlan; 1 month ago
litan
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by VeritySleeps)
It probably depends on the person to be honest. I, personally, learned so much about conventions, techniques, instruments and the history behind music, and how to analyse music as well. Music was the hardest subject I took, and not a single lesson was a 'free period'. That's for my school, anyways.
vivinotta
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kabzzzy)
Honestly, I would not overcomplicate it. Just pick the subjects you enjoy the most. Naturally, it'll be a lot easier for you to get higher grades in subjects you're interested in. As long as Maths, English and the core Sciences are covered, do what you want. Save the stressing for when you choose your A-levels (or IB) as those will directly impact University courses.
Oh okay thanks! I get that GCSEs aren't that important and all but I don't want to get bored lol. Anyway, tysm for the advice, it's definitely made me less stressed about the whole thing
vivinotta
Rep:
?
(Original post by litan)
It probably depends on the person to be honest. I, personally, learned so much about conventions, techniques, instruments and the history behind music, and how to analyse music as well. Music was the hardest subject I took, and not a single lesson was a 'free period'. That's for my school, anyways.
Hi! I've got quite a few mixed opinions about music so I just wanted to ask something. Before you started the music course (if you already played an instrument/instruments) what music grade (if you did them) were you on? I'm on about a grade 5 but idk what the basic level of a class is normally.
vivinotta
Rep:
?
(Original post by username11235813)
I personally would pick History, RS, and Music from those choices. History is a very interesting subject (I loved History GCSE) and a strong academic choice, RS can be fascinating if you like the discussion aspect and is also a great GCSE, and music is a creative subject that complements the others well (and less work than art, which is insane).

I did History, Geography, Latin, Computer Science, and German as my options (and French in Y11, but I didn't take the GCSE).
Wow, that's a lot of GCSEs! Thanks for the advice
VeritySleeps
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by litan)
My teacher was really flakey and rubbish and so many people took it for fun that we got nothing done, I probably would have enjoyed it more if we had more structure and actually learnt stuff
esbnothing
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
music gcse is very stressful and more written work. A lot of my friends have taken music gcse and many don't enjoy it at all.
litan
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was told that I was a grade 5 in piano (I never took lessons in Britain so I had no idea what grade I was), but honestly, I was probably a bit lower because I performed the most challenging pieces I knew. You need at least a grade 3 in piano for WJEC. The level of the class varied, but I would say grade 5 is maybe even above 'average', for the class that I was in.
vivinotta
Rep:
?
(Original post by litan)
I was told that I was a grade 5 in piano (I never took lessons in Britain so I had no idea what grade I was), but honestly, I was probably a bit lower because I performed the most challenging pieces I knew. You need at least a grade 3 in piano for WJEC. The level of the class varied, but I would say grade 5 is maybe even above 'average', for the class that I was in.
Oh right okay cool. Thanks for the advice it's been really helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.57%
Uncertainty around my education (200)
15.49%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (143)
11.08%
Lack of purpose or motivation (183)
14.18%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (58)
4.49%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (72)
5.58%
Loneliness (114)
8.83%
Financial worries (45)
3.49%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (59)
4.57%
Exposure to negative news/social media (59)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (68)
5.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (113)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (118)
9.14%

Watched Threads