The Student Room Group

Home Fee Status 2021/2022

I am a UK citizen looking to apply for an accredited Bsc course in 2022. However, I have been living in the Republic of Ireland for the past three years. Would I still be eligible for home fee status under the latest student finance guidelines?

Thanks!
Original post by greengirl159
I am a UK citizen looking to apply for an accredited Bsc course in 2022. However, I have been living in the Republic of Ireland for the past three years. Would I still be eligible for home fee status under the latest student finance guidelines?

Thanks!

Fee status is determined by your universities not by SFE
SFE will assess if you're eligible for student support (loans)
The rules for fee status and student support are slightly different (and quite complex in many cases).

UKCISA are experts in the legislation, legal precedent and rules around both fee status and student support. Their website has a lot of information and they run a student advice phone line. They are your best source of advice :smile:
Original post by PQ
Fee status is determined by your universities not by SFE
SFE will assess if you're eligible for student support (loans)
The rules for fee status and student support are slightly different (and quite complex in many cases).

UKCISA are experts in the legislation, legal precedent and rules around both fee status and student support. Their website has a lot of information and they run a student advice phone line. They are your best source of advice :smile:

Thank you. Based on my information would I be eligible for student support? I already have an undergraduate degree but I understand that certain courses are accredited (I will be studying Speech and Language Therapy).
Original post by greengirl159
Thank you. Based on my information would I be eligible for student support? I already have an undergraduate degree but I understand that certain courses are accredited (I will be studying Speech and Language Therapy).

Hi, our guidance states:

"Fee support only will be available to UK nationals who were:
Ordinarily resident in the Common Travel Area (the UK, Islands and Ireland) for the three years prior to the first day of the first AY of the course (with at least part of that residence period spent in Ireland), if studying in England or Wales.

Ordinarily resident in the UK, Gibraltar, the EEA and Switzerland for the three years prior to the first day of the first AY of the course, if studying in Northern Ireland.

The applicant should apply for support from the UK territory where they are undertaking the course (England / Northern Ireland / Wales). Ordinary residence in that territory on the first day of the first AY of the course is not required.

Eligibility on these grounds is not time limited for seven years. Note that a UK national who was resident in Ireland at the end of the transition period could be eligible for full support as a person who has exercised a right of residence. This category will therefore only apply to those who take up residence in Ireland after 31 December 2020.

As you were in Ireland before the end of the transition period, you could still be eligible to apply for full support
We can't confirm eligibility for the 22/23 academic year yet as our regulations are updated yearly, if you contact us again next year then we can confirm eligibility.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest