glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Would Grey sports leggings and a black striped jumper + grey shoes be considered 'comfortable but smart' for a job interview (at a supermarket)!!!!!
glassalice
Rep:
?
Pls!!!
Calling all sensible people.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by glassalice)
Would Grey sports leggings and a black striped jumper + grey shoes be considered 'comfortable but smart' for a job interview (at a supermarket)!!!!!
No. I'd suggest wearing jeans and a formal top at least. For males, a shirt and trousers, for females there's a lot more variety - but sports clothing is just taking the piss really.
PollyParrot23
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No!! Think smart trousers (either like skinny trousers or dark wash fitted jeans without rips) and a jumper (not a hoody or sweatshirt, just a knitted jumper that's not too oversized)
glassalice
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
No. I'd suggest wearing jeans and a formal top at least. For males, a shirt and trousers, for females there's a lot more variety - but sports clothing is just taking the piss really.
Despite taking the piss with my clothes.... I got the Job.

You sound saw about the fact that it is acceptable for women to wear a greater range of clothing than men. I think I may have just confirmed the existence of female privilege.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Despite taking the piss with my clothes.... I got the Job.

You sound saw about the fact that it is acceptable for women to wear a greater range of clothing than men. I think I may have just confirmed the existence of female privilege.
Congratulations on the role.
glassalice
Rep:
?
Congratulations on the role.
Thank you, I have been unemployed for the last 3 years, so I am kind of pleased with myself.
username5252878
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Congratulations 😊 Sorry I didn’t see this thread earlier.
glassalice
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thecrazydoughnut)
Congratulations 😊 Sorry I didn’t see this thread earlier.
Thank you . I was just getting a little stressed. I would have worn a shirt etc, but the interview was on such short notice, I didn't have time to iron it. All paid off in the end though.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you, I have been unemployed for the last 3 years, so I am kind of pleased with myself.
No worries. Try not to have any employment gaps from now on. It's easier to stay in employment and progress to other roles when you're already in employment. You can use the customer service experience as a stepping stone if you keep at it for the next 6 - 12 months.
username5252878
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you . I was just getting a little stressed. I would have worn a shirt etc, but the interview was on such short notice, I didn't have time to iron it. All paid off in the end though.
You’re welcome. 😊

I can understand the last minute struggles. Wishing you all the best.
glassalice
Rep:
?
No worries. Try not to have any employment gaps from now on. It's easier to stay in employment and progress to other roles when you're already in employment. You can use the customer service experience as a stepping stone if you keep at it.
Yea, I am certainly planing on keeping it. Although I am only on a temp contract, they intend on making me permanent after a trial period.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yea, I am certainly planing on keeping it. Although I am only on a temp contract, they intend on making me permanent after a trial period.
That probably means they will want you to work the hours they want you to work - can change at any time, you have the right to refuse, but if you do they'll hire someone else and have your contract terminated.
glassalice
Rep:
?
That probably means they will want you to work the hours they want you to work - can change at any time, you have the right to refuse, but if you do they'll hire someone else and have your contract terminated.
Yeah, they said that they wouldn't ask me to do more than 14 hours week though, I can't for now as it will mess up benefit claim. My contract is for 10 hours a week.
But they did say that the shift pattern will vary from week to week.
(If they did try to force me to work more than 14 hours a week I could threaten to bring a disability discrimination tribunal against them- don't particularly want to go down that route and it wouldn't make me popular, but it would be an option.)
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, they said that they wouldn't ask me to do more than 14 hours week though, I can't for now as it will mess up benefit claim. My contract is for 10 hours a week.
But they did say that the shift pattern will vary from week to week.
(If they did try to force me to work more than 14 hours a week I could threaten to bring a disability discrimination tribunal against them- don't particularly want to go down that route and it wouldn't make me popular, but it would be an option.)
How long is the contract for? If you keep at it, doing the 10 hour - 14 hour (maximum) a week (if it's actually written in your contract of employment, the maximum is 14 hours per week, they cannot legally get you to work more hours anyway) - you stand a chance at being accepted for a permanent role, because you will have had the commercial experience over other candidates. Even with the contract coming to an end, it's best you apply for as many other customer service roles elsewhere as a backup plan.

Note: if this is classed as part-time, there is no specific legal definition of number of hours maximum per week for part-time. You'd have to check your contract what that is and they can't ask you to go over that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (545)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (417)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (513)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (184)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.42%

Watched Threads