The Student Room Group

Degree/Diploma/NVQ confusion on coming up with a plan B

I have a BSc in Biomedical Genetics, applied to the ever-so competitive last week, and I am now on the journey to figure out what to do with my life if I don't get accpted into the STP.

I'm currently working as a healthcare assistant in a private carehome - ideally I would want to work for the NHS, because (I think) there's more room for professional development since they support you with further study and such (read this somewhere)

I've been looking at Healthcare Assistant/Support Worker vacancies on the NHS careers webiste, and thought I could work there until I apply to the STP again however, almost all of them mention the applicant must hold or is working towards an NVQ level 2/3 in Health and Social Care and capable of venepuncture+cannulation.

I've been searching onling for course providers of NVQ, but honestly there's so much and I'm so lost and everything is frustratingly out of my budget - but investing in yourself is the best investment and so forth.

On the Open University, they have options to do a degree, diploma or certificate with varying times. I'm just confused if doing the Health and Social care certificate will be enough for applying to these jobs?

Also, can i do Level 3 straight away since I already have a Bsc ? Or does it not matter and I will need to start from Level 1? I've read somethere that it takes about a year for each level - meaning 3 years to completely get to Level 3 and be able to apply for the NHS Heathcare vacancy? I'm not very fond of spending 3 years for a Heathcare Assistant job, or am I wrong?

All other vacancies that interest me eg. Physician Associate, Operating Department Practitioner, also require me going back into education for 2 years or so.

It's upsetting that all my options essentially leave me with my bachelors being a waste of time since it's not accredited by IBMS and I feel like I'm starting from zero. The only way I could utilise my BSc is by registering with the HCPC - but honestly even that is confusing and I will probably make a different post about it.

I'm confused and need help :frown: Thank you in advance.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending