ImmunologySTP
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Discuss here for now for those not comfy giving socials.
labimm
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All these people applying with NHS/Biomed/Covid lab experience, making me nervous. Damn you all

Hey y'allllll -
Applied for Immunology and I'm coming from a more academic immunology background with no exact experience in a clinical/healthcare setting but plenty of laboratory experience. I'm kinda now not fancying my chances after seeing who else is applying ahaha (joking joking). And also have a friend finishing her PhD in a cancer immunology field who is also applying!

In for an excruciating wait it seems! Hope you're all good and doing well with lockdown etc
onlynishha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Only 7 positions so I don’t have high expectations haha, does anyone have any backup plans they can share? Even getting a trainee biomedical scientist position is highly competitive
labimm
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by onlynishha)
Only 7 positions so I don’t have high expectations haha, does anyone have any backup plans they can share? Even getting a trainee biomedical scientist position is highly competitive
I have a lab job but the STP would be the absolute dream! So I suppose I am already in my 'back-up plan', if I don't get it this year I will apply next year again and see if I can get some more specific experience before then!

Have you considered a PhD or are you wanting out of academia? Though the STP is further education so a PhD might be a good bet! Otherwise an entry job/QC techinician/lab assistant position within a pharmaceutical company or perhaps at a biotech company?
STPsquid
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey all

My backup plan is doing a masters in clinical immunology and then applying again when I have finished that
ImmunologySTP
Rep:
?
I guess my back up plan is to take a year out and a break lol and try again next year. I will try get some work experience too in a lab if possible but yes, initially it will be to take a break and figure out how to tackle next years applications!
H_1996
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Everyone's experience is making me so nervous! Its so scary that the whole application process basically rests on 1000 words that we've written!
ImmunologySTP
Rep:
?
(Original post by H_1996)
Everyone's experience is making me so nervous! Its so scary that the whole application process basically rests on 1000 words that we've written!
Exactly!! It makes it worse when looking back, I have made a few grammatical mistakes in my application :rolleyes:
I must have checked it at least 10 times but oh well it is what it is. Might be dyslexia anyway, my lecturer mentioned I might have it but not confirmed yet.
Which uni is everyone from at the moment?
STPsquid
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am in my final year at Sheffield Hallam doing a Bsc in biomedical sciences. Bit nervous seeing others applying with a lot more knowledge
labimm
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm at Newcastle University atm, as is my friend, hence why I'll be hoping for the Leeds position!
Though would definitely go to the Midlands if need be!
ImmunologySTP
Rep:
?
(Original post by STPsquid)
I am in my final year at Sheffield Hallam doing a Bsc in biomedical sciences. Bit nervous seeing others applying with a lot more knowledge
Nah but you also have placement experience so balances out, dont watch that.
STPsquid
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ImmunologySTP)
Nah but you also have placement experience so balances out, dont watch that.
That's true, hopefully I did a good job writing about it.
H_1996
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is my third time applying haha! I did Biological Sciences at Warwick and applied straight after with a terrible application. Then after working a couple of years in an research lab I applied last year and amazingly ranked high enough for a place but unfortunately couldn't take the location. So this year I really have my fingers crossed but since the application process has changed so much I'm really nervous!

I currently live in Leeds though so that position would be absolutely perfect for me and I'm now sad it seems to be such a sought after location!
labimm
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is my third time applying haha! I did Biological Sciences at Warwick and applied straight after with a terrible application. Then after working a couple of years in an research lab I applied last year and amazingly ranked high enough for a place but unfortunately couldn't take the location. So this year I really have my fingers crossed but since the application process has changed so much I'm really nervous!

I currently live in Leeds though so that position would be absolutely perfect for me and I'm now sad it seems to be such a sought after location!
Oh wow! Well done for last year, so sorry you couldn't take it! Surely you're in good stead to get shortlisted this year so fingers crossed! Especially in a research lab too, what are you researching? Sorry just being nosey/curious

I feel like the ones down south will definitely be more sought after, or you would hope so!
H_1996
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by labimm)
Oh wow! Well done for last year, so sorry you couldn't take it! Surely you're in good stead to get shortlisted this year so fingers crossed! Especially in a research lab too, what are you researching? Sorry just being nosey/curious

I feel like the ones down south will definitely be more sought after, or you would hope so!
Thank you! I really does depend on the application on the year you apply though, having got a place on year really does not mean you get one another! I was very lucky to have been ranked that high last year but I'm glad me turning it down meant that somebody else got the chance!

It's a lab that does the clinical trials for big pharma companies, I'm in the immunology department so basically we test to see if new drugs that are made have any adverse effects on the immune system - it is really interesting but my dream job is totally in healthcare science!

Hopefully! Midlands is definitely an option for me but Leeds would be amazing!
labimm
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you! I really does depend on the application on the year you apply though, having got a place on year really does not mean you get one another! I was very lucky to have been ranked that high last year but I'm glad me turning it down meant that somebody else got the chance!

It's a lab that does the clinical trials for big pharma companies, I'm in the immunology department so basically we test to see if new drugs that are made have any adverse effects on the immune system - it is really interesting but my dream job is totally in healthcare science!

I somehow don't think it was luck last year! That research/experience you have sounds invaluable for a sort of application like this! Sounds like I will have to look elsewhere than Leeds to not have to compete against you

That does sound super interesting! And that's in Leeds you say? If the STP doesn't work out this year or next I might have to look at something like that for a back-up! But I completely agree with you I am happy enough in science as a whole, making a difference this way, but working in healthcare/clinical setting would be so so fulfilling and the dream!
H_1996
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by labimm)
I somehow don't think it was luck last year! That research/experience you have sounds invaluable for a sort of application like this! Sounds like I will have to look elsewhere than Leeds to not have to compete against you

That does sound super interesting! And that's in Leeds you say? If the STP doesn't work out this year or next I might have to look at something like that for a back-up! But I completely agree with you I am happy enough in science as a whole, making a difference this way, but working in healthcare/clinical setting would be so so fulfilling and the dream!
It has definitely helped me write about some of the required skills in the application but everyone applying will have acquired very similar skills in their experiences at uni or in other work, its really about how you can show that your skills match so I'm almost certain you guys too will do really well in the process! Don't say that I'm sure you will do amazing, it's a bit of a lottery with deciding what they are looking for in the applications, you stand just as much chance as anyone else!

Its definitely a great company to get some scientific experience and would be a great backup for anyone looking for a job in immunology or a lab as a whole - if anyone wants to look further into it feel free to private message me and I can give details (not trying to plug my company just trying to be helpful haha!)
labimm
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh for sure! You're carrying out meaningful immunology research! I agree everyone will pick up the skills but being able to stand out is key and independent research like yours is bound to But yeah now we know that the applications will be read by volunteer Clinical Scientists I'm not sure if that will improve my chances or decrease. Will be so interesting to see what they were looking for/the criteria they were marking off.

Thanks, that is very helpful! Will see how this application goes but sounds super interesting and an option for the future for sure!
ImmunologySTP
Rep:
?

This is crazy good experience and its mad that you managed to get that high so hopefully it works out again for you.
I would be definitely interested in finding out more if I unfortunately don't make it this year!
Last edited by ImmunologySTP; 1 month ago
ImmunologySTP
Rep:
?
Applications this year have increased by 15% and considering that everyone is shortlisted and people who don't usually make it through the tests would have spent alot more time in the application... not looking too promising lol. Anyone know when we will hear back about anything?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.94%
Uncertainty around my education (376)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (282)
11.05%
Lack of purpose or motivation (358)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (118)
4.62%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.07%
Loneliness (218)
8.54%
Financial worries (94)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.7%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.29%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (223)
8.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.44%

Watched Threads