bellag0ff
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm 22 and starting at Sheffield Hallam University in September. I'm super excited but I'm looking at accommodation, I have no idea what the difference is between the halls advertised on the uni's website are, and the private accommodation on other sites, I just know the contracts will be held by different companies. What's everyone's experience, and the pros and cons of each?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by bellag0ff)
I'm 22 and starting at Sheffield Hallam University in September. I'm super excited but I'm looking at accommodation, I have no idea what the difference is between the halls advertised on the uni's website are, and the private accommodation on other sites, I just know the contracts will be held by different companies. What's everyone's experience, and the pros and cons of each?
Hi! bellag0ff

Private halls are not associated with the university. This means you are more likely to get fewer support networks from the university while living here. The university will also be less likely to hold events in these halls, like games nights etc. These halls also tend to be a bit more expensive than uni halls.
University halls also tend to have a support team for each of their halls. They're there if you would like to change rooms or accommodation, or if you have a disagreement in your flat. Also, given the COVID situation, students living in uni halls have been given back their money for rent, as they are not living there. I have not heard that private halls have accommodated this.
I would personally recommend living in university halls just because of the support that you will receive.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
bellag0ff
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi! bellag0ff

Private halls are not associated with the university. This means you are more likely to get fewer support networks from the university while living here. The university will also be less likely to hold events in these halls, like games nights etc. These halls also tend to be a bit more expensive than uni halls.
University halls also tend to have a support team for each of their halls. They're there if you would like to change rooms or accommodation, or if you have a disagreement in your flat. Also, given the COVID situation, students living in uni halls have been given back their money for rent, as they are not living there. I have not heard that private halls have accommodated this.
I would personally recommend living in university halls just because of the support that you will receive.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
That’s really helpful, thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (86)
28.57%
No (215)
71.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed