University halls vs private halls

Watch this thread
bellag0ff
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm 22 and starting at Sheffield Hallam University in September. I'm super excited but I'm looking at accommodation, I have no idea what the difference is between the halls advertised on the uni's website are, and the private accommodation on other sites, I just know the contracts will be held by different companies. What's everyone's experience, and the pros and cons of each?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bellag0ff)
I'm 22 and starting at Sheffield Hallam University in September. I'm super excited but I'm looking at accommodation, I have no idea what the difference is between the halls advertised on the uni's website are, and the private accommodation on other sites, I just know the contracts will be held by different companies. What's everyone's experience, and the pros and cons of each?
Hi! bellag0ff

Private halls are not associated with the university. This means you are more likely to get fewer support networks from the university while living here. The university will also be less likely to hold events in these halls, like games nights etc. These halls also tend to be a bit more expensive than uni halls.
University halls also tend to have a support team for each of their halls. They're there if you would like to change rooms or accommodation, or if you have a disagreement in your flat. Also, given the COVID situation, students living in uni halls have been given back their money for rent, as they are not living there. I have not heard that private halls have accommodated this.
I would personally recommend living in university halls just because of the support that you will receive.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
bellag0ff
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi! bellag0ff

Private halls are not associated with the university. This means you are more likely to get fewer support networks from the university while living here. The university will also be less likely to hold events in these halls, like games nights etc. These halls also tend to be a bit more expensive than uni halls.
University halls also tend to have a support team for each of their halls. They're there if you would like to change rooms or accommodation, or if you have a disagreement in your flat. Also, given the COVID situation, students living in uni halls have been given back their money for rent, as they are not living there. I have not heard that private halls have accommodated this.
I would personally recommend living in university halls just because of the support that you will receive.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
That’s really helpful, thank you!
Chris496
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
University Halls
Evelyn34
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
University halls are OWNED by the university and managed by them. University halls also have set price will be that price for all.

Private halls are not owned or managed by the university so their rooms can be a "**** hole" and the advertised rooms could just be a "show room" that looks lovely and nice but then vs reality could be extremely **** because of who its managed by and maintained not up to standards etc, depended on the property and the management of the property and prices and contract would FLUCTUATE depending on where you took the contract from.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (24)
32.88%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (34)
46.58%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
19.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.37%

Watched Threads