cloud_09
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, has anyone got some good revision tips for biology. I usually just copy notes and read over them, which is very ineffective for me.
RamseyGOAT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cloud_09)
Hi, has anyone got some good revision tips for biology. I usually just copy notes and read over them, which is very ineffective for me.
Very effective way for chem and bio for me, is to read the page in your textbook or revision guide then wrote flash cards. Do this for a topic takes about 4 or 5 hours usually and then do exam questions until you consistory get above 90% on that topic.
VeritySleeps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Copying and reading notes doesn't test yourself on the knowledge. You need to constantly practice recalling the information. Try using anki for flashcards and mindmaps etc
Bookworm_88
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by VeritySleeps)
Try using anki for flashcards
Yeah, anki's really good for spaced repetition.
Perhaps consolidate your notes with the resources from P&MT for example. Also, doing exam questions along the way further consolidates what you've learnt and identify areas of weakness. You could also try youtube videos, or mindmaps (perhaps look over it, write out all that you can remember and repeat).
Last edited by Bookworm_88; 1 month ago
cloud_09
Rep:
?
(Original post by RamseyGOAT)
Very effective way for chem and bio for me, is to read the page in your textbook or revision guide then wrote flash cards. Do this for a topic takes about 4 or 5 hours usually and then do exam questions until you consistory get above 90% on that topic.
4 to 5 hours for each topic? Ok I'll try that thanks
cloud_09
Rep:
?
Copying and reading notes doesn't test yourself on the knowledge. You need to constantly practice recalling the information. Try using anki for flashcards and mindmaps etc
Can you make different sets/ folders on anki. For example separate sets by subject or topic?
cloud_09
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bookworm_88)
Yeah, anki's really good for spaced repetition.
Perhaps consolidate your notes with the resources from P&MT for example. Also, doing exam questions along the way further consolidates what you've learnt and identify areas of weakness. You could also try youtube videos, or mindmaps (perhaps look over it, write out all that you can remember and repeat).
I like the idea of writing out what I remember and repeating so I will definitely try that thank you
cloud_09
Rep:
?
Does anyone have any tips on answering the exam questions because I find it hard to apply knowledge
VeritySleeps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does anyone have any tips on answering the exam questions because I find it hard to apply knowledge
Practice, practice, practice. Do lots of questions but make sure you mark them and understand how they got the answer etc
cloud_09
Rep:
?
Practice, practice, practice. Do lots of questions but make sure you mark them and understand how they got the answer etc
Ok thank you!!
RamseyGOAT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
4 to 5 hours for each topic? Ok I'll try that thanks
Btw I don’t mean like the whole of organic chemistry as a topic I mean alkenes and alcohols and then do questions
Bookworm_88
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's only so much content and so many ways they can ask you questions. I would advise you to go through exam questions from different websites e.g Save my Exams/Maths Made Easy/Physics and Maths tutor. Look at the mark scheme, as there may well be a general pattern in the mark schemes
E.g How does a change in the basse sequence affect the Polypep. made?
Mark scheme(s) = Change in primary structure -> Different sequence of Amino acids produced --> Different tertiary structure and non-functional polypeptide is produced
cloud_09
Rep:
?
(Original post by RamseyGOAT)
Btw I don’t mean like the whole of organic chemistry as a topic I mean alkenes and alcohols and then do questions
Ok so like the little topics then, thanks
cloud_09
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bookworm_88)
There's only so much content and so many ways they can ask you questions. I would advise you to go through exam questions from different websites e.g Save my Exams/Maths Made Easy/Physics and Maths tutor. Look at the mark scheme, as there may well be a general pattern in the mark schemes
E.g How does a change in the basse sequence affect the Polypep. made?
Mark scheme(s) = Change in primary structure -> Different sequence of Amino acids produced --> Different tertiary structure and non-functional polypeptide is produced
Ok I'll try that thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.55%
Uncertainty around my education (200)
15.43%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (143)
11.03%
Lack of purpose or motivation (184)
14.2%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (58)
4.48%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (73)
5.63%
Loneliness (115)
8.87%
Financial worries (45)
3.47%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (59)
4.55%
Exposure to negative news/social media (60)
4.63%
Lack of real life entertainment (68)
5.25%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (113)
8.72%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (119)
9.18%

Watched Threads