The Student Room Group

Birmingham A100 / A101 2021 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by blackgoaliev3
which one is harborne i dont see it on the accommodation website

Ah apologies that was in reply to someone who wanted to live elsewhere away from uni!

Harborne is a little town near uni, similar to Selly Oak, that a lot of medics tend to move to after first year :smile:. There aren't any student accomodations through the uni there though!
will offer days be virtual this year?
Reply 102
Original post by madihahc
ayyyy you're the one with the same name as me and we both got in, let's gooo

omgg yess ! congrats to us both :smile: (lmk if you want to connect on socials!!)
did anyone else just get an email about the offer holders event
Original post by Renee.Michelle
did anyone else just get an email about the offer holders event

Yeah I did
Original post by samzinoooo
will offer days be virtual this year?

Yeah I just received an email for a couple online events in mid March
Hey does anyone know how post-grad medicine funding works? Hoping I can afford to go!

Also well done everyone :biggrin:
Original post by ejp2021
Hey does anyone know how post-grad medicine funding works? Hoping I can afford to go!

Also well done everyone :biggrin:

If you're a grad who is doing standard undergrad medicine, there is only the means-tested maintanence loan and the tuition fee of £9250 per year has to be paid upfront every year until the NHS bursary kicks in.

For GEM, in the first year you must pay £3465 and will have a tuition fee loan of £5785; in subsequent years the NHS will pay £3715 for you and you'll get a tuition fee loan of £5535 so it is more generous than a grad applying to standard undergrad medicine.

In my experience, many grads continue to work while studying though, whether it's GEM or A100 they are doing.

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by penguin5091
anyone have any thoughts on what the 'best'/more common accommodation choices are for first year med students? thank you!

I think Ashcroft looks good
Original post by lakeyyy
I think Ashcroft looks good

I've got a mate who studies at Brum now as a first year ( not med though), and he was saying the Vale is really nice, and recommended Chamberlain (the priciest one, but my favourite so far), Elgar Court and Mason. I don't mind walking anyway, I walk 45 mins to sixth form, so 20 mins sounds alright tbh.
is bournbrook worth it for the price? Also what are the chances of actually getting you first choice or even 2nd/3rd?
What do they usually work as?
Original post by oracle87
What do they usually work as?

Mostly any job one can find - remember that you really can only work during the pre-clinical phase, after your 3rd year because of having to travel around the region and potentially unsocial hours it's not practical to work significantly.

For those grads who are previously healthcare professionals, a lot has remained on the bank while they studied medicine.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Is anyone considering private accommodation?
Reply 114
Just a question, what's the situation like w current Brum medics? R they going thru uni work at home due to lockdown cos I saw a vid of an Oxford medic doing that, or r they staying at uni accommodation?
Reply 115
Original post by i.j.
Just a question, what's the situation like w current Brum medics? R they going thru uni work at home due to lockdown cos I saw a vid of an Oxford medic doing that, or r they staying at uni accommodation?

Some of my friends had come back to halls before the lockdown started-many people are at home as well.
Everything's online now at the moment except BLS (Basic Life support) training that was in-person
Reply 116
Original post by A_J_B
Some of my friends had come back to halls before the lockdown started-many people are at home as well.
Everything's online now at the moment except BLS (Basic Life support) training that was in-person

I'm assuming once lockdown started the others couldn't come back to halls?
Original post by i.j.

Medics were allowed back. There is currently no face to face teaching happening and no placements for the rest of this year for first years. Everything is online so you could access from home or uni.
In clinical years, do people still rent a place? Or will it be more financially better not to rent a place and stay in NHS accomodation?
Reply 119
Original post by i.j.
I'm assuming once lockdown started the others couldn't come back to halls?

Nope- the med school has made it clear that all the learning objectives for pre-clinical years can be fulfilled online so they would wait for the next government announcement on Easter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending