mai.to
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi, I'm in year 12 and studying Chem, Psych, Maths and Bio. I've been fine with all my subjects but Chemistry which I really struggling in, so I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips to help me improve in chemistry !! Thank you
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What board are you? How do you normally revise for chemistry?
Izzytee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
with chem try to make sure you go to your teachers and watch videos like allery chemistry or elliot rintoul. Chemguide is also really useful. But what really helps me is to really dedicate a slot of time during the day to fully understand whatever it is im struggling on and then going through past questions whilst also using my cgp guide and chemrevise helps too until I get the hang of the concepts. But past papers are literally the key tbf! Also making mnemonics and other memory aiding things can help. for shapes of molecules I really struggled on that unit but I decided that since I wasn't remembering anything at all, a weird mnemonic would be the best way for me to remember the info. Hope this helps!
mai.to
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wannabevetnurse)
What board are you? How do you normally revise for chemistry?
my board is OCR, usually I just try to do things over and over again but the resources for learning how to actually do things/know things aren't great for the OCR board
mai.to
Rep:
?
(Original post by Izzytee)
with chem try to make sure you go to your teachers and watch videos like allery chemistry or elliot rintoul. Chemguide is also really useful. But what really helps me is to really dedicate a slot of time during the day to fully understand whatever it is im struggling on and then going through past questions whilst also using my cgp guide and chemrevise helps too until I get the hang of the concepts. But past papers are literally the key tbf! Also making mnemonics and other memory aiding things can help. for shapes of molecules I really struggled on that unit but I decided that since I wasn't remembering anything at all, a weird mnemonic would be the best way for me to remember the info. Hope this helps!
cool thank you! The only thing is my teacher's teaching ways don't suit my learning style at all (nothing I can change haha) so even going to him 1-1 has barely helped and I usually just have to search the internet to find something that makes sense to me. I have bought the CGP guide and i love chemguide! i'll try out the mneumnics and things, thank you!
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by mai.to)
my board is OCR, usually I just try to do things over and over again but the resources for learning how to actually do things/know things aren't great for the OCR board
check out chemrevise for condensed notes, for topics.

Read the book, understand it and make notes of what you understood. Check your notes with the book and add anything you missed. Then do questions
username5567480
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by mai.to)
You can use this website https://www.chemguide.co.uk to understand the content better. Make flashcards, test yourself and go over them. Then move on to exam questions, you can use physics and maths tutor for that. Hope this helps
VeritySleeps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I've been relearning it all to resit and found the maths and physics tutor chemistry guides really helpful, especially the flashcards. Make sure you understanding every concept, you don't want to be confused by oxidising power and reducing power in the exam, it will slow you down even if you don't make mistakes. Also, use youtube (I like crashcourse videos) for anything I'm not sure about
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads