How do I get out of a presentation?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(fyi im 17, in sixth form, and male) So I've been in complete (COMPLETE) isolation for the past 3 months due to lockdown (I live with just my dad who is out from 5am to well after I've gone to sleep) and I go back to sixth form on Monday. I have always had very bad anxiety my entire life especially when it comes to presenting in front of a class. During the last lockdown, I had been in complete isolation for 6 months and on the first day back at school my mental health completely plummeted and I spent the day crying, self harming, couldn't eat, you get the gist. Anyways, I'm expected to do a presentation on Monday, the first day of school, and I really don't think I will be able to do it. Do you think I should not go in on monday on tuesday? The test is on wednesday so i doubt he'd make me do it then. Or should I try to email him? I don't think he'd take me seriously and I don't know how to explain it in a serious, professional way. Should I hide in the common room/ toilets for those lessons? Please help, I know it sounds childish but I just can't do it.
jlggr4
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
(fyi im 17, in sixth form, and male) So I've been in complete (COMPLETE) isolation for the past 3 months due to lockdown (I live with just my dad who is out from 5am to well after I've gone to sleep) and I go back to sixth form on Monday. I have always had very bad anxiety my entire life especially when it comes to presenting in front of a class. During the last lockdown, I had been in complete isolation for 6 months and on the first day back at school my mental health completely plummeted and I spent the day crying, self harming, couldn't eat, you get the gist. Anyways, I'm expected to do a presentation on Monday, the first day of school, and I really don't think I will be able to do it. Do you think I should not go in on monday on tuesday? The test is on wednesday so i doubt he'd make me do it then. Or should I try to email him? I don't think he'd take me seriously and I don't know how to explain it in a serious, professional way. Should I hide in the common room/ toilets for those lessons? Please help, I know it sounds childish but I just can't do it.
Definitely email the teacher - mention feelings if anxiety and anything else you feel you need to x don't shy away from it
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
If it won't be assessed then skip it, I had the same issue in school/college and uni. The teachers never understood so I never turned up unless the presentations were graded which was only ever in college and uni.
agnos987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I get anxious a lot when it comes to presenting. I've had to do a presentation twice before and I just couldn't do it so I emailed my teachers both times about it and they've all told me that it was okay and that I didn't need to do it (which surprised me). But it wasn't something that was going to be assessed - is yours going to be assessed?. You should email your teacher/s.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Bbubble061)
I get anxious a lot when it comes to presenting. I've had to do a presentation twice before and I just couldn't do it so I emailed my teachers both times about it and they've all told me that it was okay and that I didn't need to do it (which surprised me). But it wasn't something that was going to be assessed - is yours going to be assessed?. You should email your teacher/s.
It's not going to be assessed, it's just an end of topic presentation where everyone in the class does a subtopic as a way of revising for the end of topic test. I've done them before but i've never been this bad mentally yk. but during the last one there was a girl who refused to do it, and he literally forced her, like shouted and stuff. so i dont think he'll be nice about it :/
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
You should accept the anxiety and then just do it.

In later life, you can't hide from your family (i.e. partner and children) or employer or payment of bills by hiding for a day or two. You cannot wait for your feelings to change in order to do something.

Lessons from Constructive Living which is a therapy that provides guidance to the anxious:-

Confidence comes after we have done our work and succeeded, not before.

Part of maturity is taking responsibility for what we do, no matter what we are feeling.

Continued complaining simply makes us skillful complainers.
sy!¡
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
just don’t go.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sy!¡)
just don’t go.
It will be uncomfortable but more rewarding to do it.

"“Behavior wags the tail of feelings... We do, then we feel.”

Apprehension and nervousness is normal and should be accepted. It's better to do a task that is uncomfortable than wait for the right mood. Let your feelings come after actions rather than before.
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sy!¡)
just don’t go.
Don't tell op what to do. TYVM!
sy!¡
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Don't tell op what to do. TYVM!
it’s a suggestion mate. why don’t you stop hiding behind anonymous? this is hardly a sensitive thread for you to be hiding, coward.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (545)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (417)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (513)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (184)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.42%

Watched Threads