Valerie_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to get into construction design but admittedly have no relevant skills or experience. I'm more interested in the design element than engineering, so I'm not sure if I should go for BTEC Building services Engineering or UAL 3D Product Design and Architecture, or if I would get more out of an apprenticeship than the former courses.
University of the Arts London Student Reps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Valerie_)
I want to get into construction design but admittedly have no relevant skills or experience. I'm more interested in the design element than engineering, so I'm not sure if I should go for BTEC Building services Engineering or UAL 3D Product Design and Architecture, or if I would get more out of an apprenticeship than the former courses.
Hi Valerie_,
Whilst we can’t say what would be most beneficial as it is a very personal decision, you should look at the course description of the 3D Product Design and Architecture course here as it describes in detail what would be taught on the course and the different modules that would be addressed along with images of work from students. It is okay not to have any experience in construction as the course will teach you skills in the technical and wood workshops that would be most appropriate with your design.

The benefit of pursuing the design side is the freedom you get to really explore and understand what you would like to build which is later followed by technicalities, with engineering however the scope for creative thinking is rather limited as the technicalities take more prominence.

There is also a two-year extended diploma available from various institutions under the UAL awarding body which might also be worth exploring
e.g. https://www.barnetsouthgate.ac.uk/ar...n-architecture

Hope this helps – let me know if you need anything further at all.

Kindest,
Ananya
Ual Student Rep
Valerie_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps)
Hi Valerie_,
Whilst we can’t say what would be most beneficial as it is a very personal decision, you should look at the course description of the 3D Product Design and Architecture course here as it describes in detail what would be taught on the course and the different modules that would be addressed along with images of work from students. It is okay not to have any experience in construction as the course will teach you skills in the technical and wood workshops that would be most appropriate with your design.

The benefit of pursuing the design side is the freedom you get to really explore and understand what you would like to build which is later followed by technicalities, with engineering however the scope for creative thinking is rather limited as the technicalities take more prominence.

There is also a two-year extended diploma available from various institutions under the UAL awarding body which might also be worth exploring
e.g. https://www.barnetsouthgate.ac.uk/ar...n-architecture

Hope this helps – let me know if you need anything further at all.

Kindest,
Ananya
Ual Student Rep
This was very informative, thank you very much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (166)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (498)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (379)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (473)
13.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (164)
4.83%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (208)
6.13%
Loneliness (288)
8.49%
Financial worries (122)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (137)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (155)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (186)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (302)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.28%

Watched Threads