Antony Hughes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to get into a good university and from what I have seen al the top schools e.g. Grammer schools and Private schools make it compulsory to take subjects which will award you the EBACC which probably suggests that its important.

Should I do it if it helps me get into a good university?
I am good at languages and dont really mind what I take Im in top set for almost every subject.

im definitely doing triple science as well
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, you personally won't gain anything from doing the EBACC. Schools get ranked by the proportion of their pupils achieving the EBACC.
In the long run your GCSE subject choices are utterly irrelevant. No university is going to look at your application and decide that they won't accept you just because you took RE not history.
Last edited by glassalice; 1 month ago
shinzo435
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Antony Hughes)
I want to get into a good university and from what I have seen al the top schools e.g. Grammer schools and Private schools make it compulsory to take subjects which will award you the EBACC which probably suggests that its important.

I am good at languages and dont really mind what I take Im in top set for almost every subject.

I did EBACC at a public school and honestly it's more for the school to be able to prove it as a statistic I think. I don't think I have been ever asked whether I took ebacc anywhere during my application to unis (and I have offers from Russell Groups)

I did enjoy taking a language though and ended up doing it for A-Level so if you enjoy the subject just do it
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I went to a local comprehensive, never took it hasn’t made a blind bit of difference. No university courses ive seen require it, or even use it from an admissions perspective that i am aware of.
Antony Hughes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What about UCL? they require you to have taken a GCSE in a language and if you haven't you have to during university.
Hellllpppp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I went to a state school in special measures and I had to take the ebacc. From what I could tell it’s more beneficial to schools than an individuals progress. I have seen some universities require a language at GCSE though (for NatSci at UCL). If you enjoy humanities then take take one but to be honest if you don’t enjoy them you’re less likely to do well and at gcse what you take doesn’t really matter much.
lumiere
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I went to a grammar school and only learnt what EBACC was by reading your post 😂

I did do it because of what my school required from my choices but nothing else has ever asked about it or pointed it out. I’d say the whole combination of what I did was generally really interesting. I can’t imagine gaining more by swapping out any of the EBACC subjects for anything else unless it was maybe a choice between further maths and history or something. I also didn’t study languages after GCSEs until recently and having done French and German back then has made it really easy to pick other European ones up now. I hated studying a language at the time especially because I never needed it academically but it’s been helpful in the long run.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.57%
Uncertainty around my education (199)
15.43%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (143)
11.09%
Lack of purpose or motivation (183)
14.19%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (58)
4.5%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (72)
5.58%
Loneliness (114)
8.84%
Financial worries (45)
3.49%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (59)
4.57%
Exposure to negative news/social media (59)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (68)
5.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (113)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (118)
9.15%

Watched Threads