Klevis123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I'm applying to Lancaster uni and have received an conditional offer from them. The course has no specific subject entry requirements however they'd like an ABB, I'm on an ACC so I wanted to know you're thoughts and opinions?
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Klevis123)
So I'm applying to Lancaster uni and have received an conditional offer from them. The course has no specific subject entry requirements however they'd like an ABB, I'm on an ACC so I wanted to know you're thoughts and opinions?
I can only go on what I know with my own daughter. I think this past couple of years has been an exception. I know from last year when my daughter was in her physics group chat, they did let people in with 1 grade below. But this year is even more of exception because they understand the teaching has been sporadic due to covid so may be more leniant. You also have the chance to improve your grades too, and thats to encourage your teachers to give you tests over the next couple of months on the subjects where you got C's. My eldest did this and they improved her Further Maths grade from B predicted to A. So its got to be worth a shot
Last edited by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂; 1 month ago
Klevis123
Rep:
?
(Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂)
I can only go on what I know with my own daughter. I think this past couple of years has been an exception. I know from last year when my daughter was in her physics group chat, they did let people in with 1 grade below. But this year is even more of exception because they understand the teaching has been sporadic due to covid so may be more leniant. You also have the chance to improve your grades too, and thats to encourage your teachers to give you tests over the next couple of months on the subjects where you got C's. My eldest did this and they improved her Further Maths grade from B predicted to A. So its got to be worth a shot
Means a lot I should have stated one of those c's is in my BTEC course that I currently undergo, and cannot go higher due to my teach from last year not being able to mark my work on time and therefore capping me, I mentioned this to the uni the fact I could only achieve a C there, however they still asked for a B.
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Means a lot I should have stated one of those c's is in my BTEC course that I currently undergo, and cannot go higher due to my teach from last year not being able to mark my work on time and therefore capping me, I mentioned this to the uni the fact I could only achieve a C there, however they still asked for a B.
Thats very unfair from the people thats doing your course. Them not marking your work on time should not penalise you and definitely should be challenged. I would go back to the people doing your course. mnot any advice? Ive seen you about and know you are pretty helpful.
Whether the uni will drop two grades is down to them. Do have other options that match the ACC?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ive just looked on Lancaster's website, the normal entry requirements are AAB.

Why have they offered ABB? we dont know, but could speculate that its based on your type of school or the COVID (ive seen other unis do it this year), or they've made a decision to lower grades after receiving applications. Its really hard to say why without being in the admissions office.

Now looking on the uni guide we can see the average enrolled student achieves AAB at A-level.
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/lancas...1-149fa8b2f76f

This really puts you in a very difficult spot as you cant change the C and you really need to boost your tariffs in the other subjects, it would certainly be a complete gamble putting them as your firm choice but it's really down to if you are prepared to see what happens on results day with the knowledge you'll never be meeting the offer and thus open yourself up for a quick rejection (they could at this point theoretically reject you even if you got A*A*C at this point...).

The only other thing you can do is email Lancaster's admissions office informing them of the circumstances and hope they can tailor your offer, but I think this is realistically a bit of a hit & hope.
IMO your school should have addressed the issue with the BTEC at the start of this academic year but not a lot you can do at this point.
--
I'll tag in people who are very knowledgable on university admissions and see if they think their is anything to add.
PQ Admit-One
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
Klevis123
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Ive just looked on Lancaster's website, the normal entry requirements are AAB.

Why have they offered ABB? we dont know, but could speculate that its based on your type of school or the COVID (ive seen other unis do it this year), or they've made a decision to lower grades after receiving applications. Its really hard to say why without being in the admissions office.

Now looking on the uni guide we can see the average enrolled student achieves AAB at A-level.
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/lancas...1-149fa8b2f76f

This really puts you in a very difficult spot as you cant change the C and you really need to boost your tariffs in the other subjects, it would certainly be a complete gamble putting them as your firm choice but it's really down to if you are prepared to see what happens on results day with the knowledge you'll never be meeting the offer and thus open yourself up for a quick rejection (they could at this point theoretically reject you even if you got A*A*C at this point...).

The only other thing you can do is email Lancaster's admissions office informing them of the circumstances and hope they can tailor your offer, but I think this is realistically a bit of a hit & hope.
IMO your school should have addressed the issue with the BTEC at the start of this academic year but not a lot you can do at this point.
--
I'll tag in people who are very knowledgable on university admissions and see if they think their is anything to add.
PQ Admit-One
The course I'm applying to is criminology, which states that the entry requirements are ABB, I then emailed them about my grades and said would consider those grades and that there were no specific entry requirements for the course itself.
Klevis123
Rep:
?
(Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂)
Thats very unfair from the people thats doing your course. Them not marking your work on time should not penalise you and definitely should be challenged. I would go back to the people doing your course. mnot any advice? Ive seen you about and know you are pretty helpful.
Whether the uni will drop two grades is down to them. Do have other options that match the ACC?
Thank you very much for helping me, I know it's unfair and when I tried appealing I was told there was nothing I could do because my work was really good and it's such a shame I have to suffer as I really do want to go Lancaster, I dodo got to mention that I'm trying to apply for criminology which is ABB not AAB and that the admissions teams stated they would consider ACC and that there was not specific requirements, should I email them mentioning what about in my BTEC and that a C is the highest I could get ?
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you very much for helping me, I know it's unfair and when I tried appealing I was told there was nothing I could do because my work was really good and it's such a shame I have to suffer as I really do want to go Lancaster, I dodo got to mention that I'm trying to apply for criminology which is ABB not AAB and that the admissions teams stated they would consider ACC and that there was not specific requirements, should I email them mentioning what about in my BTEC and that a C is the highest I could get ?
If you cannot get any higher and they are not willing to budge then yes, try the the admissions team and explain the situation.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The course I'm applying to is criminology, which states that the entry requirements are ABB, I then emailed them about my grades and said would consider those grades and that there were no specific entry requirements for the course itself.
So criminology.
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/lancas...1-def996501d2a

It looks like ACC would still be behind the typical enrolled student.

And you are still in the situation of missing the offer whatever grades you get.

You can gamble it and hope they accept you, although id imagine you may need to pull your grades higher in the other 2 subjects, and even then it wouldn’t be guaranteed. Or you can email admissions and hope they amend the offer for your circumstances although id say thats more of a hit & hope, or you can pick a uni you feel you more realistic shot of acceptance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (545)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (417)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (513)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (184)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.42%

Watched Threads