The Student Room Group

Ear piercing problems

Hi everyone.

Basically, a few months ago I had my second ear lobe piercings (x2) done and one helix at the same time. I went to a reputable piercer who used a needed and I even had a check up a few weeks later and then they changed my rod about a month later in my helix. When they changed the rod to a shorter one they said it would help my piercing bump heal quicker along with a hot compress of salt water and a saline wipe. I did that and it helped and pretty much went away. After that appointment the lockdown started before Christmas. Around Christmas time the whole piercing fell out and I struggled to get it back in. So I had to put the original rod back in my ear and it was bleeding and quite sore. A few weeks ago it completely fell out again and lost the front of my earring this time, so I had to put in a small little scew top thing which my piercer put in a small packet with my old rod (I have never had it in my ear before but I had no choice). Today, literally the whole earring went through the piercing (surprisingly not that painful actually). It was horrible though and I had to take my piercing out of my lower lobe for the first time and use that instead. I then discovered I have a hard lump inside my lobe piercing... it’s painless and I had no idea it was there until I took my earring. You can’t see it though. What is it?? I am starting a new job soon where I can only wear one set of earrings so I need to do something about it. I knew my helix would take around 6 months ( even longer sometimes) to heal but I feel like it’s barely healed and is just worse. It is pussy too but not awfully painful. I just wanted to be able to have small dainty earrings in that are hardly there but it’s all ended up being a pain. When I had my first lobe piercings done when I was a young teenager they healed perfectly well and I had no problems and I even had it done with a gun! So now it’s just so annoying and I can’t even see the piercer. I’ve tried messaging them but the head piercer is living abroad now and it takes the business a while to reply. I get it as I’m sure they’re not being paid much (if any) right now. Please give me some advice? Thank you!
I’m not a professional or anything but, I’ve previously had the same issue with an earlobe piercing. The jewellery that had been placed in my earlobe the first time had been cheap and of poor quality. This may be the case with your piercing too. I changed the quality of the jewellery and I hadn’t even noticed the bump disappeared.
It may also be due to poor care. You should clean your piercing at least two times a day. Additionally, your piercing may still be healing. It takes 4-12 months for a helix piercing to fully heal and the jewellery falling out may have caused irritation.
I would recommend visiting another reputable piercer and asking for their advice. Most piercers are willing to check up on your piercing and advise you.
Reply 2
Original post by roscpctals673
I’m not a professional or anything but, I’ve previously had the same issue with an earlobe piercing. The jewellery that had been placed in my earlobe the first time had been cheap and of poor quality. This may be the case with your piercing too. I changed the quality of the jewellery and I hadn’t even noticed the bump disappeared.
It may also be due to poor care. You should clean your piercing at least two times a day. Additionally, your piercing may still be healing. It takes 4-12 months for a helix piercing to fully heal and the jewellery falling out may have caused irritation.
I would recommend visiting another reputable piercer and asking for their advice. Most piercers are willing to check up on your piercing and advise you.

Ah thank you. No, I have been cleaning it and I think the jewellery is surgical stainless steel. My helix keeps getting caught in my hair so it’s causing more irritation. The problem is I can’t visit anywhere at the moment :/ thanks :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Ah thank you. No, I have been cleaning it and I think the jewellery is surgical stainless steel. My helix keeps getting caught in my hair so it’s causing more irritation. The problem is I can’t visit anywhere at the moment :/ thanks :smile:

Oh, I see. Surgical stainless steel is typical good for allergies but, not for people with hypersensitivity. I’ve had surgical stainless steel in my cartilage but, keloids still occurred and I had to change it out. I would recommend three things. Visit your doctor if you can. They can usually inform whether or not this material is the cause. Buy new jewellery (If possible). If you’re ordering online, make sure to check the piercing site is reputable as some offer cheap material. Wait until your nearest piercer reopens (Assuming you live in the United Kingdom, it should reopen in a few months). Explain to your employer your situation. You’ll usually be made to cover it with a plaster or use a clear retainer, depending on where you plan to work. Until then, keep cleaning your piercing, it will assist with the healing process. And maybe try using undiluted tea tree oil. It helps make the bump look less noticeable (If your bump looks noticeable at all).
Reply 4
Original post by roscpctals673
Oh, I see. Surgical stainless steel is typical good for allergies but, not for people with hypersensitivity. I’ve had surgical stainless steel in my cartilage but, keloids still occurred and I had to change it out. I would recommend three things. Visit your doctor if you can. They can usually inform whether or not this material is the cause. Buy new jewellery (If possible). If you’re ordering online, make sure to check the piercing site is reputable as some offer cheap material. Wait until your nearest piercer reopens (Assuming you live in the United Kingdom, it should reopen in a few months). Explain to your employer your situation. You’ll usually be made to cover it with a plaster or use a clear retainer, depending on where you plan to work. Until then, keep cleaning your piercing, it will assist with the healing process. And maybe try using undiluted tea tree oil. It helps make the bump look less noticeable (If your bump looks noticeable at all).

This was helpful! Thank you!
I think I’ll try and order some jewellery online from a proper website. I took my lobe piercings out (one two nights ago and the other yesterday as I couldn’t get it out at first). Both have hard lumps in now. I started my job today and probably won’t work until next week now so I just put in some of my old hypoallergenic earrings from my first piercings. It was a real struggle to get the back in, but hopefully they’ll be ok. My piercer got back to me yesterday and I’m going to book an appointment as soon as they open. I think I might message my employer about it and put a plaster over it or something as I can’t keep taking it out. Thank you! :smile:
This was helpful! Thank you!
I think I’ll try and order some jewellery online from a proper website. I took my lobe piercings out (one two nights ago and the other yesterday as I couldn’t get it out at first). Both have hard lumps in now. I started my job today and probably won’t work until next week now so I just put in some of my old hypoallergenic earrings from my first piercings. It was a real struggle to get the back in, but hopefully they’ll be ok. My piercer got back to me yesterday and I’m going to book an appointment as soon as they open. I think I might message my employer about it and put a plaster over it or something as I can’t keep taking it out. Thank you! :smile:

No problem. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 6
No problem. Good luck! :smile:

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest