rhitries
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am enrolled in a dual credit program with my high school, where I take college courses for high school credit. I have not taken any AP courses or tests, but I will have taken around 12 college courses by the time I graduate.

Has anyone successfully applied to a UK university with these qualifications, or knows someone who has? I worry this will hurt my offer chances.

Thanks all
dramacoolfan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rhitries)
I am enrolled in a dual credit program with my high school, where I take college courses for high school credit. I have not taken any AP courses or tests, but I will have taken around 12 college courses by the time I graduate.

Has anyone successfully applied to a UK university with these qualifications, or knows someone who has? I worry this will hurt my offer chances.

Thanks all
Usually you need a high school diploma with SAT, ACT, AP or IB exams

However each university has different criteria, so I would check the requirements of the universities you want to go to by typing in Google ‘international qualifications University of __’ as an example, or phone the universities admissions teams respectively

Most of the time if you have one year of college in America with a good GPA, that’s accepted, with the amount of college courses you’ve done this will likely be accepted as an equivalency, but because you are in high school it’s a bit of an iffy one...

General rule in the UK is having a higher qualification than asked for usually overrides requirements, so I think so long as you’re not planning to study a programme that has extremely strict entry requirements you’ll probably be OK.
rhitries
Rep:
?
(Original post by dramacoolfan)
Usually you need a high school diploma with SAT, ACT, AP or IB exams

However each university has different criteria, so I would check the requirements of the universities you want to go to by typing in Google ‘international qualifications University of __’ as an example, or phone the universities admissions teams respectively

Most of the time if you have one year of college in America with a good GPA, that’s accepted, with the amount of college courses you’ve done this will likely be accepted as an equivalency, but because you are in high school it’s a bit of an iffy one...

General rule in the UK is having a higher qualification than asked for usually overrides requirements, so I think so long as you’re not planning to study a programme that has extremely strict entry requirements you’ll probably be OK.
Thanks for the reply. I will have taken the SAT and probably the ACT, but no AP or IB exams.

I have taken interest in Edinburgh, Bristol, Glasgow, possibly Cardiff. They all have slightly different requirements, but the general consensus is they will consider a student with one year of college (with a high GPA of course).

I have attempted to contact a few universities in the past about this (although none of which I am currently interested in applying to). The replies were quite vague, and of no real use to me. However, I have come to understand exactly what information I need, so perhaps a more concise email to one of the above unis would in turn give me a more precise response.
dramacoolfan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the reply. I will have taken the SAT and probably the ACT, but no AP or IB exams.

I have taken interest in Edinburgh, Bristol, Glasgow, possibly Cardiff. They all have slightly different requirements, but the general consensus is they will consider a student with one year of college (with a high GPA of course).

I have attempted to contact a few universities in the past about this (although none of which I am currently interested in applying to). The replies were quite vague, and of no real use to me. However, I have come to understand exactly what information I need, so perhaps a more concise email to one of the above unis would in turn give me a more precise response.
If you have the SAT and/or ACT you'll be just fine
Best bet is to email the school/department/course itself, as they are the ones who will assess your qualifications and application!

The closest equivalent I suppose to UK students is a Level 3 and Level 4 60-credit qualification (aka, half a year of college/university, with a half a year or more of a high school qualification, ish). As unusual as it is, it's normally accepted because Level 4 (equivalent to the first year of university/college) is of higher 'value' therefore more capable of the course, naturally.
Last edited by dramacoolfan; 1 month ago
rhitries
Rep:
?
Best bet is to email the school/department/course itself, as they are the ones who will assess your qualifications and application!

The closest equivalent I suppose to UK students is a Level 3 and Level 4 60-credit qualification (aka, half a year of college/university, with a half a year or more of a high school qualification, ish). As unusual as it is, it's normally accepted because Level 4 (equivalent to the first year of university/college) is of higher 'value' therefore more capable of the course, naturally.
All right, I will keep that in mind. Thanks so much for the help
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago

Hey, I'm also an American. I applied to Bristol but they gave me requirements I can't achieve: ACT 24 with AP Calculus at a value of 5 (I wasn't taking any AP classes). It was my mistake because I didn't check the requirements before I put Bristol in my application. It has been easiest for me to take the ACT as that is more accepted than the SAT (which the Brits kind of hate). I was also looking at Cardiff but they only accept SAT subject tests (which have been cancelled).

Summary: Make extra sure that you check the International Requirements page of each university that you're applying to and see to it that all of them will accept whatever qualification you're taking. Some accept AP tests, SAT subjects, ACT OR something else and some require AP tests, SAT subjects, AND something else. Don't make the same mistake as me!!
rhitries
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey, I'm also an American. I applied to Bristol but they gave me requirements I can't achieve: ACT 24 with AP Calculus at a value of 5 (I wasn't taking any AP classes). It was my mistake because I didn't check the requirements before I put Bristol in my application. It has been easiest for me to take the ACT as that is more accepted than the SAT (which the Brits kind of hate). I was also looking at Cardiff but they only accept SAT subject tests (which have been cancelled).

Summary: Make extra sure that you check the International Requirements page of each university that you're applying to and see to it that all of them will accept whatever qualification you're taking. Some accept AP tests, SAT subjects, ACT OR something else and some require AP tests, SAT subjects, AND something else. Don't make the same mistake as me!!
Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to contact the universities before I apply to make sure they will accept my qualifications.

Did you take any college courses at all? If so, did bristol not accept them? Did you get into any other UK universities without AP exams? I am also struggling to obtain qualifications because of the cancelled subject tests. Sorry about all the questions, any answers are greatly appreciated!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to contact the universities before I apply to make sure they will accept my qualifications.

Did you take any college courses at all? If so, did bristol not accept them? Did you get into any other UK universities without AP exams? I am also struggling to obtain qualifications because of the cancelled subject tests. Sorry about all the questions, any answers are greatly appreciated!
I did not take any college courses, but if anything I think that will help you because it shows you've advanced. When you apply through UCAS you can put down any qualifications you've achieved and then any that you are planning to undergo. Most universities won't have a problem with your college courses because they're looking for test scores. I recommend right off the bat taking the ACT because it's generally the most accepted and I was offered a place at all of my choices other than Bristol with just the ACT. The problem with Bristol was that they also required APs which I wasn't taking and it was my fault because I didn't check their website before applying.
I would highly recommend scheduling a Skype/Zoom call with the North America Teams at the universities you are planning on applying to. That for me was really helpful and informative about this mysterious process.

You'll be just fine. I wouldn't worry.
ry7xsfa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did not take any college courses, but if anything I think that will help you because it shows you've advanced. When you apply through UCAS you can put down any qualifications you've achieved and then any that you are planning to undergo. Most universities won't have a problem with your college courses because they're looking for test scores. I recommend right off the bat taking the ACT because it's generally the most accepted and I was offered a place at all of my choices other than Bristol with just the ACT. The problem with Bristol was that they also required APs which I wasn't taking and it was my fault because I didn't check their website before applying.
I would highly recommend scheduling a Skype/Zoom call with the North America Teams at the universities you are planning on applying to. That for me was really helpful and informative about this mysterious process.

You'll be just fine. I wouldn't worry.
That's actually interesting. I'm from the UK but I took the ACT and I looked around to see if I could get into UK unis with it (have it as an extra qualification alongside my UK ones). iirc, only one of the UK ones I applied to actually took the ACT.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ry7xsfa)
That's actually interesting. I'm from the UK but I took the ACT and I looked around to see if I could get into UK unis with it (have it as an extra qualification alongside my UK ones). iirc, only one of the UK ones I applied to actually took the ACT.
Huh, that's weird. Which ones did you apply to?
ry7xsfa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Huh, that's weird. Which ones did you apply to?
Edinburgh (the one who said they'd take it), Nottingham, Brunel, Loughborough, and Sheffield.

I can't remember though if this was just because I didn't have any APs to go with it. I remember rarely seeing any ACT mention on university websites and mainly seeing APs. I think Edinburgh required some APs to go with it, but they said that as long as I meet the required ACT score, they can use my A-Levels to substitute those and possibly get a lower offer based on that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (378)
14.78%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (359)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.52%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.42%

Watched Threads