english lit jekyll and hyde aha

Watch this thread
braindeadpog
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i'm struggling to come up with points for this essay i was wondering if someone could give me a few points from which i can build paragraphs from?

extract:
The large handsome face of Dr. Jekyll grew pale to the very lips, and there came a blackness about his eyes. ‘I do not care to hear more,’ said he. ‘This is a matter I thought we had agreed to drop.’
‘What I heard was abominable,’ said Utterson.
‘It can make no change. You do not understand my position,’ returned the doctor, with a certain incoherency of manner. ‘I am painfully situated, Utterson; my position is a very strange — a very strange one. It is one of those affairs that cannot be mended by talking.’ ‘Jekyll,’ said Utterson, ‘you know me: I am a man to be trusted. Make a clean breast of
this in confidence; and I make no doubt I can get you out of it.’
‘My good Utterson,’ said the doctor, ‘this is very good of you, this is downright good of you, and I cannot find words to thank you in. I believe you fully; I would trust you before
any man alive, ay, before myself, if I could make the choice; but indeed it isn’t what you fancy; it is not so bad as that; and just to put your good heart at rest, I will tell you one thing: the moment I choose, I can be rid of Mr. Hyde. I give you my hand upon that; and I thank you again and again; and I will just add one little word, Utterson, that I’m sure you’ll take in good part: this is a private matter, and I beg of you to let it sleep.’ Utterson reflected a little, looking in the fire.
‘I have no doubt you are perfectly right,’ he said at last, getting to his feet.
Well, but since we have touched upon this business, and for the last time I hope,’ continued the doctor, ‘there is one point I should like you to understand. I have really a very great interest in poor Hyde. I know you have seen him; he told me so; and I fear he was rude. But, I do sincerely take a great, a very great interest in that young man; and if I am taken away, Utterson, I wish you to promise me that you will bear with him and get his rights for him.

question:
Starting with this extract, how does Stevenson present the friendship between Jekyll and Utterson? (in this extract and novella as whole/ 30 marks)

thank you!
dazai768
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by braindeadpog)
i'm struggling to come up with points for this essay i was wondering if someone could give me a few points from which i can build paragraphs from?

extract:
The large handsome face of Dr. Jekyll grew pale to the very lips, and there came a blackness about his eyes. ‘I do not care to hear more,’ said he. ‘This is a matter I thought we had agreed to drop.’
‘What I heard was abominable,’ said Utterson.
‘It can make no change. You do not understand my position,’ returned the doctor, with a certain incoherency of manner. ‘I am painfully situated, Utterson; my position is a very strange — a very strange one. It is one of those affairs that cannot be mended by talking.’ ‘Jekyll,’ said Utterson, ‘you know me: I am a man to be trusted. Make a clean breast of
this in confidence; and I make no doubt I can get you out of it.’
‘My good Utterson,’ said the doctor, ‘this is very good of you, this is downright good of you, and I cannot find words to thank you in. I believe you fully; I would trust you before
any man alive, ay, before myself, if I could make the choice; but indeed it isn’t what you fancy; it is not so bad as that; and just to put your good heart at rest, I will tell you one thing: the moment I choose, I can be rid of Mr. Hyde. I give you my hand upon that; and I thank you again and again; and I will just add one little word, Utterson, that I’m sure you’ll take in good part: this is a private matter, and I beg of you to let it sleep.’ Utterson reflected a little, looking in the fire.
‘I have no doubt you are perfectly right,’ he said at last, getting to his feet.
Well, but since we have touched upon this business, and for the last time I hope,’ continued the doctor, ‘there is one point I should like you to understand. I have really a very great interest in poor Hyde. I know you have seen him; he told me so; and I fear he was rude. But, I do sincerely take a great, a very great interest in that young man; and if I am taken away, Utterson, I wish you to promise me that you will bear with him and get his rights for him.

question:
Starting with this extract, how does Stevenson present the friendship between Jekyll and Utterson? (in this extract and novella as whole/ 30 marks)

thank you!
sorry if this is a little late and you already wrote your essay lol

so, i would say that Utterson is a construct for the victorian society - deliberately done by stevenson in order to convey the social rigity and how they all repress themsleves and reinforce the repression on others.
so, stevenson hated this repression and this is one of the reasons he wrote jekyll and hyde, to critisise the way their society worked
here's some context that is grade 9 - stevenson gives jekyll the john hunter house in the book (read up about this) and john hunter himself was a scientist that found great medical discovery by illegally robbing graves to do research on them
so, stevenson suggests that despite the way jekyll is fiddling with the elements of nature and creating a heretical being, perhaps somewhere down the line, he can also be just like john hunter - a great scientist and make something for the better of humanity. It is important to remember that hunter was heavily looked down upon initally because of the robberies and then was praised immensly - so here, it shows the same victorian hypocriticality.
Now, how does this link to the question?
so, utterson finds out about jekyll's will and he CHOOSES to not tell anyone. He entirely represses jekyll's discovery - jekyll wanted other's to know so that he could have a scientific legacy (you would have to evidence this by using quotes where jekyll himself is fascinated by hyde or when he gets annoyed at the lanyon guy 'balderdash' something lol its been a while i apologise). SO, because Utterson represses Jekyll's potential, stevenson implicates the idea that this is the constant cycle between the victorians.
Therefore, Utterson and Jekyll's relationship is presented as a construct for society and does not have showcase a deeper and compassionate freindship as Utterson is not able to even comprehend the idea of Hyde in the first place, let alone understand that it may have been important to Jekyll

A point that LINKS to that is, jekyll himself is presenting his hatred for hyde infront of utterson and the victorian society so that he can FIT IN, he does't rEally hate hyde, he just can't show that he likes him because then he will also be seen as disrespected. ALL of the evidence for this is in a paragraph where he talks about his 'gaity of disposition' and um 'mans dual nature' (that paragraph as much better evidence but those are references). He also states that when he turns into hyde for the first time, he 'comes out of sickness' or smth along those lines - it shows that his life being a repressed guy in victorian society is a disease for him and his mental/phyiscal health - turning into hyde, almost feels like a cure). - that is a basic anayliis im sure you can take that further with other quotes to support.
now, that links to the question, because Jekyll has to put up a mask infront of utterson in order to feel accepted (again, it shows that their friendship is only reliant on the expectations of society and that they are so repressed, they do not even truly know eachother).

there is a point about utterson being gay towards jekyll in the parts where he dreams about hyde - that is something that would take me much longer to explain because it is way more complicated but there is a youtube channel called 'mr salles english lessons' and he talks about homosexuality in this play, so if your interested in the higher or complex analysis take a look for future. However, with homosexuality, you have to be really careful with how you write, try practise a couple of times before putting in a real eassay and get your teacher to mark because it has to be written in a certain way. Otherwise, you can still get good marks without it, stay away from it if it gets to complex.

Hope that helps lol, theres 2 points there that link - i could go on forever, if you want any resources reply and ill attach a couple of example essays for jekyll and hyde that i have written which got full marks.

Good luck lol (sorry for the spelling mistakes and the slight waffle )
braindeadpog
Rep:
i think i got that second point about the victorian society and Jekyll putting up a mask (i noticed that jekyll communicates with utterson in the form of documents (will, confession, letter etc) more than in person and also entrusted him with his finances so the idea that its perhaps more of a professional over personal relationship) but i didn't even think about the others! thank you so much I've handed the essay in already but I'll keep these points in mind for exams next week. your full mark essays would really help because i think model responses are the one thing which our teacher just does not give and ik this is asking a lot but do you have any tips on time management- it takes me way too long to complete answers!
thank you so much you're too nice lmao
dazai768
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
aw its cool, ill attach 2 essays i have done for english. The one on duality is an older one that i wrote on 09/03/2020 (probably 22-26 marks) and the second one is written on good and evil (this still links to duality) - written on 14/12/2020 - the esssay starts page 3 the first paragraph on the second page was a draft (full marks)
so, i want you to read both and try gauge the difference in my writing over the course of time.
Also, i don't want to attach all my essays on here because of school reasons but Mr Salles English lessons walks through example essays. He is absolutely amazing and it is where i really really started to understand my english and the way you are meant to train your brain to be perceptive. I'll attach some specific videos but his entire channel is gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_zW...Sbud6R&index=3

a students essay on hyde 30/30:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBTItXOfXTI

how to write a grade 9 essay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhF7rfsw20c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crG-...Sbud6R&index=5 (this is part of a series of 5 on hyde - literally so good)

yep there is a 73 video playlist on literally EVERYTHING for jekyll and hyde (macbeth, christmas carol and other books + all language papers too ) so really go there for the best detail.
Bare in mind, when i started watching his videos, i began to develop my writing style and most importantly, the way i THINK about the book. At first, i was using his interpretations (which is completely okay) but as time has moved, i am able to come up with my own points which are equally as good and even better because i am proving it for myself rather than someone else's idea. This takes time, so don't worry if you are not immediately able to do so. English is not a thing you are natural at, i was getting 4s and 6s throughout all of year 9 - it is a subject where you need to train your brain to think out of the box lol, just like maths and physics - they are logical, art is creative but english is creative and needs to be logical too. It took about a year and a bit but i grew to absolutely love english because when it clicks, you are able to completely interpret everything for yourself.

some tips for english lit that i still with struggle with lol:
my teacher has told me my analysis is degree level at this point because i have developed it but, i still end up losing 2-3 marks on some of my essays because the GCSE markscheme requires students to give specific techniques - sometimes i miss up and don't include them even if my explanation is really good. SO, for every quote you use, use a technique (as much as i hate it, they get you marks)
Secondly, even if your talking about structure, USE QUOTES they want evidence for absolutely evERyTHing even if it is obvious (where i lose marks again), so - back everything up with a technique and quote (it sounds obvious but it slips my mind when im into the explanation).

and as for time mangagement, do a really quick 30 second plan map of where your going to write, i never used to plan. But just taking 10 seconds to think of all the relevanet points, and narrowing down to the most important ones can help because you know what your going to rwite before you write it. (you can see in my second essay, that i did a bullet point list before i wrote it, stuff like that). Keep your intro really short, make sure you mention the authors* purpose in it (as in why he did this to a character, what does it show to his audience? this gets you higher marks)
Refer to the imapct on the audience BECAUSE of how the author descirbes each character adn the journey they take, not just the direct impact. *(an example of shakespeare's purpose is that he makes macbeth a tyrannical leader which dies at the end because of his selfishness, this is shakespeare trying to show king james (who would be in the audience of the play at the time) that if he was to be like macbeth, he would also act and end up in such a way. It was a deterrent for king james THIS IS WHY Macbeth is the way he is.

I say, do paragraphs that link so ones that flow off onto one another - i cant explain this, you will be able to understand when you watch and read more about jekyll and hyde and develop your writing

I waffle so much im sorry lmaooo hope that helps tho
Attached files
Last edited by dazai768; 1 year ago
braindeadpog
Rep:
(Original post by dazai768)
aw its cool, ill attach 2 essays i have done for english. The one on duality is an older one that i wrote on 09/03/2020 (probably 22-26 marks) and the second one is written on good and evil (this still links to duality) - written on 14/12/2020 - the esssay starts page 3 the first paragraph on the second page was a draft (full marks)
so, i want you to read both and try gauge the difference in my writing over the course of time.
Also, i don't want to attach all my essays on here because of school reasons but Mr Salles English lessons walks through example essays. He is absolutely amazing and it is where i really really started to understand my english and the way you are meant to train your brain to be perceptive. I'll attach some specific videos but his entire channel is gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_zW...Sbud6R&index=3

a students essay on hyde 30/30:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBTItXOfXTI

how to write a grade 9 essay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhF7rfsw20c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crG-...Sbud6R&index=5 (this is part of a series of 5 on hyde - literally so good)

yep there is a 73 video playlist on literally EVERYTHING for jekyll and hyde (macbeth, christmas carol and other books + all language papers too ) so really go there for the best detail.
Bare in mind, when i started watching his videos, i began to develop my writing style and most importantly, the way i THINK about the book. At first, i was using his interpretations (which is completely okay) but as time has moved, i am able to come up with my own points which are equally as good and even better because i am proving it for myself rather than someone else's idea. This takes time, so don't worry if you are not immediately able to do so. English is not a thing you are natural at, i was getting 4s and 6s throughout all of year 9 - it is a subject where you need to train your brain to think out of the box lol, just like maths and physics - they are logical, art is creative but english is creative and needs to be logical too. It took about a year and a bit but i grew to absolutely love english because when it clicks, you are able to completely interpret everything for yourself.

some tips for english lit that i still with struggle with lol:
my teacher has told me my analysis is degree level at this point because i have developed it but, i still end up losing 2-3 marks on some of my essays because the GCSE markscheme requires students to give specific techniques - sometimes i miss up and don't include them even if my explanation is really good. SO, for every quote you use, use a technique (as much as i hate it, they get you marks)
Secondly, even if your talking about structure, USE QUOTES they want evidence for absolutely evERyTHing even if it is obvious (where i lose marks again), so - back everything up with a technique and quote (it sounds obvious but it slips my mind when im into the explanation).

and as for time mangagement, do a really quick 30 second plan map of where your going to write, i never used to plan. But just taking 10 seconds to think of all the relevanet points, and narrowing down to the most important ones can help because you know what your going to rwite before you write it. (you can see in my second essay, that i did a bullet point list before i wrote it, stuff like that). Keep your intro really short, make sure you mention the authors* purpose in it (as in why he did this to a character, what does it show to his audience? this gets you higher marks)
Refer to the imapct on the audience BECAUSE of how the author descirbes each character adn the journey they take, not just the direct impact. *(an example of shakespeare's purpose is that he makes macbeth a tyrannical leader which dies at the end because of his selfishness, this is shakespeare trying to show king james (who would be in the audience of the play at the time) that if he was to be like macbeth, he would also act and end up in such a way. It was a deterrent for king james THIS IS WHY Macbeth is the way he is.

I say, do paragraphs that link so ones that flow off onto one another - i cant explain this, you will be able to understand when you watch and read more about jekyll and hyde and develop your writing

I waffle so much im sorry lmaooo hope that helps tho
agh thank you so much it helps a lot to get more practical advice like this and I'll check out the videos for sure- thank youu!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads