The Student Room Group

Blocked only on Snapchat?

Hey guys,

Need some advice please! One of my friends (of many years) blocked me on Snapchat over a year ago over, over a small misunderstanding. He still has me on other social media. He still doesn’t want to add me back to snap however, he says ‘he doesn’t really use it’ although he definitely does!! I don’t know why I find it really hurtful and obsess over it even today and I need to move on.

Another friend has done something similar, again over a year ago. With him, it is more because I was going through a tough time and was messaging him a bit too much. Again we are still friendly IRL. Any help or suggestions please? Will be hugely appreciated. The thing is if they fought with me or blocked me on all social media, I would understand that we were no longer friends and would move on. However this situation seems passive aggressive, and I still see them rarely/am friendly with them IRL, but was wondering how I should move on and accept this fact!! I’m not sure if I am obsessed with social media, and every time I think about him I just feel hurt by his actions.

Thank you SOOO much for any help, am pretty desperate at this point.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys,

Need some advice please! One of my friends (of many years) blocked me on Snapchat over a year ago over, over a small misunderstanding. He still has me on other social media. He still doesn’t want to add me back to snap however, he says ‘he doesn’t really use it’ although he definitely does!! I don’t know why I find it really hurtful and obsess over it even today and I need to move on.

Another friend has done something similar, again over a year ago. With him, it is more because I was going through a tough time and was messaging him a bit too much. Again we are still friendly IRL. Any help or suggestions please? Will be hugely appreciated. The thing is if they fought with me or blocked me on all social media, I would understand that we were no longer friends and would move on. However this situation seems passive aggressive, and I still see them rarely/am friendly with them IRL, but was wondering how I should move on and accept this fact!! I’m not sure if I am obsessed with social media, and every time I think about him I just feel hurt by his actions.

Damn that sounds harsh. But you don't need them in your social media life, sounds like a waste of time trying to make them add you in snap or make them be friends with you again in there. If you don't pay attention to them, they might come back and add you. But honestly, if they don't. That's their loss. They're just toxic and don't want to interact with you in social media I guess.

It may be painful to move on because you've been friends with them for a while now, but if you're really friends, friends make up no matter what. It does not take so long to be friends again. But I'm just saying this because you deserve better and someone who actually stays there for you and never leaves you, even with an argument, they should understand you or make up with you whether its in social media or in real life. But it's your decision whether or not to confront them and tell them how you feel about the situation and ask them why OR just turn your back, keep walking, don't turn around and leave them alone. There are literally a lot of awesome people out there, just saying. But I hope that helps. Good luck.
Hey guys,

I wouldn’t worry about it tbh you still have them on other social media’s and so it doesn’t really make much difference whether they unblock you or not
Reply 3
Hey guys,

It's snapchat.. there's other apps to use where you can communicate. You said you use other apps, so use those. Don't worry about someone not being on all the apps you use.
Personally, I have snapchat, but i "don't really use it" - i literally don't. I have it still because there is always 1 friend who prefers it over other social media, and whilst we don't chat anymore, I'm not one of these people to just delete and cut all contact with someone. I'd rather leave the app on my device just in case they need to reach out to me for something.
How do you know he 'definitely does' use snapchat?

If it's really bothering you so much, delete snapchat yourself. Post a story saying you're taking a week off from the app, and if people want to reach you, they can through other social media.
Don't become soo attached to an app that it's making you rethink your decisions on friends or people you know / have a connection with. Turn off the phone, go outside for a walk or watch movies on your laptop, play games online, do something that isn't snapchat related.
This is y socials r a pain in everyone's butt.

Now the blocking is magnified and it creates angst far beyond a simple verbal caution that u overstepped the line and need to rein in which in the old days friends did all the time for each other. Now Snap/FB etc become the primary vehicle for social interaction and these blockings/ghostings cause massive torment all over the world.

But no sympathy. Absolutely u do it to urself. Nobody mandates Snap. Deleting Snap is the best idea ever. I did this seveal years ago and live a better life irl... except when I'm on TSR ofc lol!
Reply 5
Original post by nikkiblonsky
I wouldn’t worry about it tbh you still have them on other social media’s and so it doesn’t really make much difference whether they unblock you or not

Thanks soo much, it means a lot, it’s very helpful to get another perspective on this! I guess I shouldn’t take it too personally 😀

Damn that sounds harsh. But you don't need them in your social media life, sounds like a waste of time trying to make them add you in snap or make them be friends with you again in there. If you don't pay attention to them, they might come back and add you. But honestly, if they don't. That's their loss. They're just toxic and don't want to interact with you in social media I guess.

It may be painful to move on because you've been friends with them for a while now, but if you're really friends, friends make up no matter what. It does not take so long to be friends again. But I'm just saying this because you deserve better and someone who actually stays there for you and never leaves you, even with an argument, they should understand you or make up with you whether its in social media or in real life. But it's your decision whether or not to confront them and tell them how you feel about the situation and ask them why OR just turn your back, keep walking, don't turn around and leave them alone. There are literally a lot of awesome people out there, just saying. But I hope that helps. Good luck.

Thanks soo much, it means a lot, it’s very helpful to get another perspective on this! I guess I shouldn’t take it too personally 😀
Reply 6
Original post by nikkiblonsky

Yhh that’s true, but one of them has unfriended me on almost everything so it is even worse! You’re right though, nothing to worry about too much right? Thank you very much for your reply!
Reply 7
Original post by candydiva
This is y socials r a pain in everyone's butt.

Now the blocking is magnified and it creates angst far beyond a simple verbal caution that u overstepped the line and need to rein in which in the old days friends did all the time for each other. Now Snap/FB etc become the primary vehicle for social interaction and these blockings/ghostings cause massive torment all over the world.

But no sympathy. Absolutely u do it to urself. Nobody mandates Snap. Deleting Snap is the best idea ever. I did this seveal years ago and live a better life irl... except when I'm on TSR ofc lol!

I agree, not having socials would avoid this problem completely! Thanks so much for your reply though, will probably delete and try to live in the real world 😂.

i have a similar story feel free to dm me
Reply 9
Original post by Adz2042
It's snapchat.. there's other apps to use where you can communicate. You said you use other apps, so use those. Don't worry about someone not being on all the apps you use.
Personally, I have snapchat, but i "don't really use it" - i literally don't. I have it still because there is always 1 friend who prefers it over other social media, and whilst we don't chat anymore, I'm not one of these people to just delete and cut all contact with someone. I'd rather leave the app on my device just in case they need to reach out to me for something.
How do you know he 'definitely does' use snapchat?

If it's really bothering you so much, delete snapchat yourself. Post a story saying you're taking a week off from the app, and if people want to reach you, they can through other social media.
Don't become soo attached to an app that it's making you rethink your decisions on friends or people you know / have a connection with. Turn off the phone, go outside for a walk or watch movies on your laptop, play games online, do something that isn't snapchat related.

You’re definitely right, thanks! The problem is the second guy unfriended/blocked me on most social media and I don’t have his number so I’m a bit stuffed. I will try to live life in the real world tho haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending