Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
-I've used experimental data to calculate the enthalpy change for the reaction of potassium carbonate and potassium hydrogen carbonate with hydrochloric acid. These were the equations I was given:
Name:  Screenshot_20210303-113614_Word.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  28.8 KB
When working out the enthalpy change for this equation:
Name:  Screenshot_20210303-113640_Word.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  28.3 KB
Do I times the potassium hydrogen carbonate value by 2 and keep this value or divide it by 2 once I've calculated the final enthalpy change. Or do I ignore the multiplying. This is something I'm just conceptually confused about as I'm using my own experimental data.
Last edited by Obolinda; 8 months ago
mechengineer8
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
which reaction do you have data for
Obolinda
Rep:
(Original post by mechengineer8)
which reaction do you have data for
reaction 1 and 2 to find the enthalpy change for reaction 3
I know how to do the hess diagram, its just because reaction 3 has coefficient of 2 on the reactant so I'm wondering if I still need to multiply the enthalpy change of reaction 2 by 2
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Use Hess Law

Times what you got for KHCO3 by 2, yes.
Obolinda
Rep:
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
Use Hess Law

Times what you got for KHCO3 by 2, yes.
oh ok thanks
i was just worried as the enthalpy changes I've got was something I calculated through a calorimetry experiment
MoleChem
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Enthalpy is a state function.

This means if you have an equation like this:

2KHCO3 --> K2CO3 + CO2 + H2O and ΔH = +8.5 kJmol-1

Then if you double the equation then ΔH also doubles. Likewise, if you reverse reactants with products, ΔH is the same but negative.

4KHCO3 --> 2K2CO3 + 2CO2 + 2H2O ΔH = +17 kJmol-1

2KHCO3 --> K2CO3 + CO2 + H2O --> 2KHCO3 ΔH = -8.5 kJmol-1

If you multiply reaction 2 by 2 and then add the reverse of reaction 1 in your question (bearing in mind the effect on ΔH shown above) you can calculate ΔH. (Cancel out same things on left and right side of equation when you add the equations together).

Hope that helps.
Obolinda
Rep:
(Original post by MoleChem)
Enthalpy is a state function.

This means if you have an equation like this:

2KHCO3 --> K2CO3 + CO2 + H2O and ΔH = +8.5 kJmol-1

Then if you double the equation then ΔH also doubles. Likewise, if you reverse reactants with products, ΔH is the same but negative.

4KHCO3 --> 2K2CO3 + 2CO2 + 2H2O ΔH = +17 kJmol-1

2KHCO3 --> K2CO3 + CO2 + H2O --> 2KHCO3 ΔH = -8.5 kJmol-1

If you multiply reaction 2 by 2 and then add the reverse of reaction 1 in your question (bearing in mind the effect on ΔH shown above) you can calculate ΔH. (Cancel out same things on left and right side of equation when you add the equations together).

Hope that helps.
thanks !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (64)
32.82%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27.69%
No (52)
26.67%
I'm not sure (25)
12.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed