sierranonis
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Could someone explain why part of the answer to 3b talks about the equilibrium shifting to the right and so more ester and less acid is formed? , i don't understand the relevance. Thanks
Q3.(a)**** In an experiment, at a fixed temperature, an equilibrium mixture contained the following

amounts, in moles, of each component.

* CH 3 CH 2 COO
H

CH 3 CH 2 OH CH 3 CH 2 COOCH 2 CH 3 H 2 O

* 0.0424 0.0525 0.0745 0.081

Use the data in the table above to calculate a value for the equilibrium constant, K c, at this
fixed temperature.
Record your answer to the appropriate precision.
........................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................

(2)
(b) ****If the mixture is uncovered during the time it is left to reach equilibrium, some of the ester
formed will evaporate.
Explain why a smaller volume of sodium hydroxide would then be required in the titration
compared with the volume for the covered mixture.
zlan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If ester evaporates it means there is now less ester on the right hand side so equilibrium shifts right to make more ester
Therefore there is no less (carboxylic) acid so less NaOH needed to neutralise
Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (143)
42.69%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.64%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.36%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (71)
21.19%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.97%

Watched Threads